You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Turing

Yorck's arc

13 comments in this topic

563 posts
4,686 battles

So I watched iChase's review about the yorck and I noticed something. It's AP arc is.. Awful. It's looks like Dresden or kolberg. But the question is, how is this possible? Yorck's initial shell velocity is 900ms. And the shell itself is 210mm, it's heavy.. So the arc should be flat, right? An example is kirov.. 800ms speed with 180mm shell, the arc is flat. Cleveland, 800ms speed with 152mm shell, arc a rainbow. So I think, fast speed + heavy shell = flat arc.

Is this correct? Can anyone explain this?

451 posts
6,946 battles

guessing that the gun fires it at a high angle from the muzzle itself (INITIAL VELOCITY) BUT loses speed quickly. this results in a long shell travel time

shell heavy, so it loses a lot of speed as it travels up towards the highest point of the arc.

shell heavy, therefore it gains a lot of speed downwards quickly after the highest point of the arc.

firing it at medium distance results in having to lower the arc, meaning it still loses much of the speed (firing heavy projectile at only a slightly lower angle), without having a lot of help from gravity to help it fall fast.

its plunging fire is very effective as a result.

the cleveland is similar, but the shells are light, so it gains less speed falling downwards over the same distance as the yorck, making the "rainbow arc" you see. the kirov uses vodka guns so it's an exception. they have very limited barrel life in reality though.

Edited by Kleiss

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

So I watched iChase's review about the yorck and I noticed something. It's AP arc is.. Awful. It's looks like Dresden or kolberg. But the question is, how is this possible? Yorck's initial shell velocity is 900ms. And the shell itself is 210mm, it's heavy.. So the arc should be flat, right? An example is kirov.. 800ms speed with 180mm shell, the arc is flat. Cleveland, 800ms speed with 152mm shell, arc a rainbow. So I think, fast speed + heavy shell = flat arc.

Is this correct? Can anyone explain this?

Diffrent Physics in game and real life.

beside in real life, Shell characteristic determine by many factor.

Shell can bleed speed fast, so the high Initial velocity doesnt mean it will fly in flat arc. stuff likes Rifling, Propelant, Aerodynamic shape, Weight, Materials, metalurgy and so on.

Same Caliber doesnt meant same flight characteristic, Since 203mm or 8inch is commonCruiser Caliber weapon, for each nation it can differ in weight and other characteristic.

IRL German AP were actualy lighter and less dense than American (122kg vs 152kg). The american AP packed more weight and punch but use required higher trajectory to achive same range to germans (37 degree to american 41 degree).

Speaking of Elevation, 203mm in Takao class (aside maya) actualy can fire at 70 degree elevation - which on par with most howitzer. so they can  have low angle or hi angle of attack to exploit weakness of ships immunity zone armor.

In game, the reason more for Balance and flavor, rather than complicated ballistic and such. so dont need to try put some RL logic and physic into the game lol.

In many ways, bringing closer to reality might become frustating. like The Gun actualy wears, so theredowngrade in Velocity which requirre compensating with each salvo. IOWA even have Table, how much firing calculation need to be revised after lets say 12 shoot. it need to be checked with data gained from Shell initial velocity (there is tools that measure that in the tip of the cannon btw). so the Arc is geting higher with each salvo, and the shell time travel increase. there is a lot of Math involved its not even fun lol

Edited by humusz

451 posts
6,946 battles

Diffrent Physics in game and real life.

beside in real life, Shell characteristic determine by many factor.

Shell can bleed speed fast, so the high Initial velocity doesnt mean it will fly in flat arc. stuff likes Rifling, Propelant, Aerodynamic shape, Weight, Materials and so on.

Same Caliber doesnt meant same flight characteristic, for each nation it can differ in weight.

IRL German AP were actualy lighter and less dense than American (122kg vs 152kg). The american AP packed more weight and punch but use required higher trajectory to achive same range to germans (37 degree to american 41 degree).

Speaking of Elevation, 203mm in Takao class (aside maya) actualy can fire at 70 degree elevation - which on par with most howitzer. so they can  have low angle or hi angle of attack to exploit weakness of ships immunity zone armor.

meh u explained it better, i couldn't put it in proper terms...+1

216 posts
2,239 battles

WG make yorck so crap so you buy doubloons and free xp your way to hipper

simple explanation

Same goes for most tier 7s, that is except IJN, because *Master Race IJN*.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,452 battles

I read somewhere that it is due to Yorck using WW1-era shells which had poor aerodynamics. Obviously, this is for balancing purposes. If Yorck is shown to be underperforming, it's an easy change to upgrade the AP shells to something more modern, thereby improving its performance without messing with "historical" parameters.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,550 battles

Same goes for most tier 7s, that is except IJN, because *Master Race IJN*.

shchors is good, a budyonny on steroid

everytime i sail yorck i pray enemy ship sail straight and let me hit them lol

Super Tester
2,725 posts

WG make yorck so crap so you buy doubloons and free xp your way to hipper

simple explanation

More like, you have to adjust or change your usual gameplay on Yorck.

If you think buying doubloons & free XP your way up is your solution, fine by me. Not my money. :P

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,550 battles

More like, you have to adjust or change your usual gameplay on Yorck.

If you think buying doubloons & free XP your way up is your solution, fine by me. Not my money. :P

even how much anyone adjust to this ship chracteristic it's a fact yorck is pain to play with it's slow-mo shells, it's not fun it's even frustrating sometimes

doubloons is not a solution, its a option because not everyone wana grind, they got money they pay their way up..WG earn money players happy pay for it..win win

i never jump any ship before, i'm cheapskate lol so grind it the hard way  

1,068 posts
3,845 battles

99% of the time you spam HE at targets in the Yorck,AP usually is only good at under 10km,and if the target is showing broadside( I am still trying to figure out good AP usage).

As for being crap,its a ship you really need to adjust to,took me ages,but when you get on a roll it can kick butt!

My stats for ASIA server:

My stats for the NA server:

Overall Results

And those highest damage scores would have been using HE only, I rarely use AP.I'm just an average player,but you can make the Yorck work.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,550 battles

once MM put in a tier 9 match, i thought i'm gonna be so dead

turns out its awesome match, burn iowa 30K amagi 20K and burn a hipper to death and alot alot of shell dodging from iowa

damaging big potato BB is what this ship good at long range, cruiser kinda tricky and DD is very hard

1,068 posts
3,845 battles

once MM put in a tier 9 match, i thought i'm gonna be so dead

turns out its awesome match, burn iowa 30K amagi 20K and burn a hipper to death and alot alot of shell dodging from iowa

damaging big potato BB is what this ship good at long range, cruiser kinda tricky and DD is very hard

Yeah,if they don't target you straight away,you can burn them to death!I am thinking of going for the Demolition Expert skill next to get the fire chance up,should make it even better.

Tier 9 up tier with the Yorck is easier than Hipper up tiered to 10 I have found,that extra tier difference can be very hard in the Hipper.

Make sure you have the rudder upgrade installed,makes a big difference.

If you can work well with the slow gun turrets ,DD are toast to.I have found that once you get the DD into Hydro Acoustic range,the HE makes short work of them.I think the Yorck is my best DD killer so far ( ironically I think my South Carolina may be second,DD keep making it for an easy target and close right in,to their loss!).