You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

Anshan Captain, tier 4 skills

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

So getting near the time to get my 4 point skill for my Anshan's captain, who has no other ship to go to, so the big debate I'm having is which skill at this tier is the best for the Anshan?

1. Demo expert (I run the firebug flags as well, along with anti detonation and the fire chance is insane, imagine adding that to the damage potential)
  2. Survival Expert - Adding another +2400HHP sounds pretty good to me, it would certainly save my bacon a lot more and staying alive longer means more damage
  3. Advanced Firing Training - With the laser gun flat shell arcs, I can imagine shooting cruisers with AP at safe distance or setting fire to BB's at impunity (theoretically 20% increase means its max firing range is 14.28km, above the 12.9km detection threshold when firing) 

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

It's a tough choice, because they're all pretty good options. My Anshan captain needs to make this same choice for his next skill (though it'll be a while). Extra range on the main guns isn't too important to me (I prefer to engage from around 10km) though it would be handy at times, and since Anshan didn't benefit from the recent Soviet fire chance buff (they're now 8%, Anshan is still left at 7%) Demolition Expert is a strong choice. And of course Survival Expert is always a good choice for gunboat Destroyers that will be taking lots of fire.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Depends on how you want to use the guns. If you can manage your distance around 10-11km while blazing away at enemy BB, go DE. 

However, if you like to keep some distance while stealth firing, go AFT. 

Personally I'd go for AFT, because it allows much wider buffer zone for stealth firing. DE is good only if you can manage your distance from enemy to remain undetected while firing. If you get spotted and there are Cruisers around, you'll have to maneuver away thus reducing the effective damage output. If you have AFT however, you can still blaze away with all guns thanks to that extra range without having to maneuver much, since you have much better stealth fire zone.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

if you're planning for rank gameplay, SE is the only option for you. Other skills are for your own gamestyle.

[IMSDF]
Beta Tester
218 posts
4,648 battles

save that option after the maintenance tomorrow, 0.5.7, because a lot of the upgrade modules are changed, so you might wanna think of better options for your captain's skills.........

:honoring:

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

save that option after the maintenance tomorrow, 0.5.7, because a lot of the upgrade modules are changed, so you might wanna think of better options for your captain's skills.........

Fair call, ill wait till the youtube masters test things out 

if you're planning for rank gameplay, SE is the only option for you. Other skills are for your own gamestyle.

have been thinking for this reason^

451 posts
6,946 battles

tested it already. no change for gun destroyer role in terms of captain skills.

if you're talking equipment upgrades in test server,  engine 2 is better than rudder 2.

until you get CE, stick to AFT. DE is not worth it as anshan's turret train is utter bullcrap.

Edited by Kleiss

216 posts
2,239 battles

So getting near the time to get my 4 point skill for my Anshan's captain, who has no other ship to go to, so the big debate I'm having is which skill at this tier is the best for the Anshan?

1. Demo expert (I run the firebug flags as well, along with anti detonation and the fire chance is insane, imagine adding that to the damage potential)
  2. Survival Expert - Adding another +2400HHP sounds pretty good to me, it would certainly save my bacon a lot more and staying alive longer means more damage
  3. Advanced Firing Training - With the laser gun flat shell arcs, I can imagine shooting cruisers with AP at safe distance or setting fire to BB's at impunity (theoretically 20% increase means its max firing range is 14.28km, above the 12.9km detection threshold when firing) 

Ok so as a Anshan owner that has tried all three, here are my experiences as for the pros and cons...

1. Demo Expert (PRO: your starting fire chance is 7% and with this skill takes it to 10% (not counting flags) which = "BURN BABY BURN!", you will melt enemy BB's and CA's down to the water line as you spam away. CON: the cap on how far you can shoot will put you in harms way more often and at even at 11.9km the poor turning radius/rudder shift will cause you to get hit by CA's with high shell velocity.)

2. Survival Expert (PRO: Gives your DD that much needed HP if you get in a dull, and might just save your butt if your torpedobeats just aren't up to speed that day and you catch a torp. CON: this DD has poorer turning compaired to other DDs and not the best turret travers speed so brawling DD's shouldn't be your chose of action in this DD, which is IMO the main reason you would get this skill.)

3. Advanced Fire Training (PRO: Will allow you to use those amazing 130mm rail guns to spam at a safe 14.3km, now at this range you should have ample time to WASD hack your way around enemy salvos and work all at the same time. CON: you will start to notice at this range your amazing Russian dispersion starts to weaken and you might start to see only 50% of your shells hit.)

All in all: The Anshan is a high speed gun boat (Russian DD with a identity crisis), it does have decent torps, but your bread and butter are the guns. I would not recommend Survival Expert for the Anshan since if you do spot an enemy DD your reaction shouldn't be to close range to help you chances of hitting, don't dorget you have 4 amazing rail guns with high velocity/precision waiting to fire, so increase the distance and right click that fool to a watery grave. Point is that you shouldn't need to have to lower your self to the enemy DD's fighting styles, make them dance to the beat of your guns. Which bring us to choose between Demo, or AFT. Demo is nice, and trust me you will notice a difference, however like I mention you will find yourself most times a little closer than what you would desire to be, which leads to some ouchies. Now you can avoid this by of course using your smoke, however that only a limited amount of time you can spam in safety.Now as for AFT you have just about the same reach as some CA's, which gives you time to move around and dodge as you spam each other. AFT gives you more flexibility to play a larger area which also gives you grace room to have an exit plan. now you can still close in and get good hit in by using smoke and spamming to pen point spots to set fires on BB's (4 fires at once lulz) it's just you will have to fire a bit more to get the same amount of fires as Demo Expert, but since you have the range that spamming shouldn't be and issue, and might actually help annoy an enemy BB enough that he starts to focus on you... at 14ish km distance... that sucker will be lucky if he gets your deck wet with a splash.

Summery: Anshan could profit some from Survival Expert, but it doesn't really play into it's gun boat play style *GUN BOAT FOR LIFE*. However both Demo and AFT help improve this ships guns performance quite a bit and I actually think they are more or less equal, it all depend on if you are willing to be a little more risky to get those fires at a closer range and select when you fire so you aren't focused down, or would you rather pew pew pew most of the game and not have to worry all that much about the enemy's shells.