Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FD3STYPER

Add a new IJN T8 AA enhanced AA cruiser Maya

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4 posts

IJN CAs got bad AA, and I thought we need an enhanced one.

Maya is the best choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Maya

Actually it a Takao-class CA, just like Atago, and one of her turrets was replaced by 2*2 Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) dual purpose guns.

Atago AA layout:

8 × Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) dual purpose guns, (4x2)
    60 × Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns
    4 × Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA machine gun

Maya AA layout:

12 × Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) dual purpose guns, (6x2)
    66 × Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns (13x3, 27x1)
    36 × Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA machine guns

The AA coefficient of Atago is 36, therefore, in Maya, the AA coefficient should be between 53 to 61 in order to compensate the lost of 2 203mm cannons.

If WOWS could make Maya alive, I would be glad to pay for her.

_15_14_56_1m__M-Maya-V 1944s.jpg

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

interesting, she has less gun but more aa. if they can make her gun turn faster or has little bit faster reload than Atago(panpakapan) then she will be a fine ship despite the lack of guns at this tier. i might even save money for maya sama if she's out.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Listing the AA armament that Maya has:

• 12 × Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) dual purpose guns, (6x2)
  • 66 × Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns (13x3, 27x1)
  • 36 × Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA machine guns

The individual DPS per gun would be:

• Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) DP - 5 DPS
  • Single-barrel Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns - 1.8 DPS (best guess)
  • Triple-barrel Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns - 2.05 DPS (best guess)
  • Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA guns - 1.75 DPS

Assuming that the AA values for those armaments remain unchanged, Maya has the following AA armament (if Wikipedia is correct), in terms of in-game numbers:

• 60 DPS @ 5.0 km (Atagou has 40 DPS here)
  • 128.55 (129) DPS @ 3.1 km (Atagou has 50 DPS here)
  • 63 DPS @ 1.2 km (Atagou has nothing here)

The Type 96 DPS estimates are simply best guesses based on other ships that have it (pretty much every late-game Japanese ship uses the AA armament in some way), and also because the game rounds up (or down) to the nearest whole number.

Also of note: the DPS values for the single-barrel vs. the triple-barrel are different (for some reason).

Edited by Haku

56 posts
4 battles

looking good, but I always wonder about dual purpose guns. Do it do AA? I've never seen it shoot planes

They do.

You'll see black AA puffs in the sky when they fire.  Since they can shoot air and surface targets at the same time, you won't see them animate when they're shooting at air targets, but do when shooting surface targets.

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

WG did said they dont want to put Historical AA config on Atago simply cause She is OP. 

^this one triggered me.

I hope they know how many times i was [content removed] by lexington and taiho or other cv in atago.. 

Plus if losing guns, not good. since in game. Atago's reload is 16 secs.. Maya with 4 guns hard to fight enemy.. Love the suggestion though. 
:'<

Inappropriate content. Warning issued.

Twisted0ne

Edited by Twisted0ne

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

the only reason that I don't want to spend my money on an Atago is because her AA is absolute rubbish, my Benson's AA is only a tiny bit behind it. Atago is also longer than New Orleans, giving it a bigger turn radius, making avoiding CV torps harder. Also Atago has a massive citadel. If Maya comes out as a premium I might buy it though, better AA and a more friendly gun arrangement (not a fan of the third gun) will probably make it worth my money

Beta Tester
4 posts

Listing the AA armament that Maya has:

• 12 × Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) dual purpose guns, (6x2)
  • 66 × Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns (13x3, 27x1)
  • 36 × Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA machine guns

The individual DPS per gun would be:

• Type 89 12.7 cm (5 in) DP - 5 DPS
  • Single-barrel Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns - 1.8 DPS (best guess)
  • Triple-barrel Type 96 25 mm (1.0 in) AA guns - 2.05 DPS (best guess)
  • Type 93 13.2 mm (0.5 in) AA guns - 1.75 DPS

Assuming that the AA values for those armaments remain unchanged, Maya has the following AA armament (if Wikipedia is correct), in terms of in-game numbers:

• 60 DPS @ 5.0 km (Atagou has 40 DPS here)
  • 128.55 (129) DPS @ 3.1 km (Atagou has 50 DPS here)
  • 63 DPS @ 1.2 km (Atagou has nothing here)

The Type 96 DPS estimates are simply best guesses based on other ships that have it (pretty much every late-game Japanese ship uses the AA armament in some way), and also because the game rounds up (or down) to the nearest whole number.

Also of note: the DPS values for the single-barrel vs. the triple-barrel are different (for some reason).

Haku san, thank you for your analysis! This will be an useful suggestion for WOWS R&D team.

Since all of us in this topic are interested in having a Maya, how about I creating a poll for T8 premium IJN cruiser Maya?

Edited by FD3STYPER

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I'm sorry, but...

T8.

With only 8x 203mm cannons- The average is 10 for cruisers at this tier.

For AA that's comparable to Cleveland- AA that won't be useful unless there are CVs.

This reminds me of Kitakami- A removed T8 cruiser whose only gimmick were torpedoes that were only effective within the ship's visibility range, a light cruiser hull and only plink guns. Sure Maya has the same torpedoes layout as the Takao-class, but it will never fill the T8 niche because Atago is more practical due to CVs being uncommon.

Edited by Stein_Grenadier

403 posts
8,185 battles

Or just add Maya as an alternate hull for Atago, or if the Takao class is added (there are rumours that will be done at some point) it could be hull C

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

This is my all time favorite ijn vessel of the war. She just looks spectacular with her AA gun set up. I'd buy her in a heartbeat. I'm sure they could buff the guns in some way to compensate for the loss of the 3rd turret 8f it greatly deminished her main gun firepower as well as give her that aa upgrade.

403 posts
8,185 battles

I'm sorry, but...

T8.

With only 8x 203mm cannons- The average is 10 for cruisers at this tier.

For AA that's comparable to Cleveland- AA that won't be useful unless there are CVs.

This reminds me of Kitakami- A removed T8 cruiser whose only gimmick were torpedoes that were only effective within the ship's visibility range, a light cruiser hull and only plink guns. Sure Maya has the same torpedoes layout as the Takao-class, but it will never fill the T8 niche because Atago is more practical due to CVs being uncommon.

The use of the third turret is still highly situational anyway, with the ship needing to show citadel to use it. The remaining 4x2 arrangement would put it on par with Admiral Hipper in terms of guns count, and the presence of usuable torps would make up for the difference in gun performance between Hipper and Maya.

Back to the point, an AA-specialized Japanese CA would be nice, and what would be even better is it being implemented as an Atago alternate hull (after renaming it Maya).

Edited by 27000ants

Beta Tester
4 posts

The use of the third turret is still highly situational anyway, with the ship needing to show citadel to use it. The remaining 4x2 arrangement would put it on par with Admiral Hipper in terms of guns count, and the presence of usuable torps would make up for the difference in gun performance between Hipper and Maya.

Back to the point, an AA-specialized Japanese CA would be nice, and what would be even better is it being implemented as an Atago alternate hull (after renaming it Maya).

But I consider Maya and Atago are 2 respective cruisers, therefore, Maya should be an individual premium ship in the WG shop.

Sign in to follow this