Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvilJade

Revelation of a DD caption , Don't CAP and the Smoke mod is so good :)

7 comments in this topic

[AUS_P]
Beta Tester
73 posts
13,194 battles

The game starts we are a Hatsuharu(me) and a Mutsuki with a Atago in support and a battleship way back in the small B sector of game map.

The two DD are speeding towards the Cap zone , and I look back and the Atago is speeding to the front on with us. Not at a 45 angle for support. Mmmm.

10 sec to go from the Cap circle , an enemy CR pops up and is visible and the Atago is shooting at the enemy CR , not doing its job and that's where revelation hits. I brake like hard , put an island between me and danger and see my fellow DD with less than ½ heath limping out of the Cap circle without capping.

The game before I had 3 CR behind me move starboard and put a large island so I was left handing in the wind again in the Cap point.

From being a frustrated DD caption who was dying way too much for a team who usually doesn't know support it's DD , now when I am speeding toward the Cap I now look back now at the position of my team and make a judgment call if I will get enough support , not enough support 10 seconds , I pull out and expect we will lose that cap point at the start but at least I'm a live DD which I can help my team win in the future.

So just to recap the CR job at the start (I do play CR caption as well) you move forward enough in the right position to cover the DD capping so you can shoot at less one HE salvo at enemy DD in the cap zone when they become visible without you becoming visible to much the enemy CR.

1,124 posts

it's CL not CR =w=

I'm main IJNDD player and I admit, capping is my job

but I'll NEVER compete capping with other nation DD

I'll wait a bit circle around only to make sure that cap zone is open, that I'll do the cap.

live long to cap later is better than cap fast and die fast.

Edited by PGM991

133 posts

I would rather the cruisers live long enough to do something than be shut down by a majority of the opposing fleet.

You just have to pick your fights carefully and know when to contest or disengage.

As an IJN destroyer, it is vital that you understand what you can do against what you are up against. You are not a gunboat like the USN/RU DD's are, it is dangerous to contest a cap point as an IJN DD against the other nation destroyers.

Edited by Kaminari1

892 posts
7,853 battles

Agreed, IJN DD is disadvantaged when faced of against USN or RU DD in capping BUT with proper support from the team, this can be changed.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

IJN DD have better concealment, better use it to contest the cap just to make sure enemy DD can't cap it for awhile

412 posts
9,223 battles

Go to caps that have more islands than other with IJN DDs, as Eurobeat said "Hug island like your waifu". unless its Ocean map, you're pretty much doomed :trollface:

No, I mean if you got yourself into Ocean or open water caps, try to cap in the tip of the area (buoys) and don't move around (or have 1/2~1/4 throttle) so you won't get detected easily. non-IJN DDs rather easily spotted, try to play with your ship detection range on the minimap. Don't let them go pass through that line while capping. If you get detected, try not too expose your broadside towards the enemy to prevent incaps. In my condition, I don't drop random torps/dropping from afar. Usually I approach enemy as close as possible and drop surprise torps. Make sure that they think you don't want to go and torp him, go from a nice angle then unleash your torpedoes. And remember, always shoot your potatoes. Don't go just torp, IJN DDs have nice damage on their guns although they turn and reload like a battleship. Also you can (probably) detonate him. :playing:

But in the end, as gunboat captain, I found IJN DDs like Hatsuharu, Mutsuki, or Minekaze will pretty much become an easy meal for USN and RU gunboats.

783 posts
4,809 battles

If you have proper support, you can bait the other nation DDs to reveal themselves. Stay at the edge of your concealment then open fire(even if you are a Minekaze/Mutsuki) then full retreat while dodging incoming shells. An IJN DD presenting itself will no doubt solicit some shells from the USN/VMF DD, I mean, who wouldn't want to shell an IJN DD 6-7km from you while on a gunboat?

As long as there's a CL/CA or even a BB 'near' you when you did it, you can expect they'd shell the enemy DD which fired at you. Result of the engagement will depend on how much alpha your first shot did, how good you can dodge the enemy shells and how good your ally's aim is.

(Anecdotal) Most of the time, with randoms as a sample on all participants, it works like a charm.

Sign in to follow this