Sign in to follow this  
Autumnado

Newbie here

18 comments in this topic

12 posts
300 battles

Currently downloading the 10 GB game at 2.3mb/s at 3:45am because reasons.

May as well post here to say hi and ask what the heck I should be doing and or not doing in this game. I've never played a ship game before and know nothing at all about naval warfare, so I'm prepared to get my backside murdered and frustrated. Not entirely sure I'll like the game either since I prefer planes more than tanks/ships but, there's only one way to find out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be kind to me if you see me. God knows I'll be sailing in a straight line hitting everything (which, since I watch Jingles, I know is bad but I'm bound to do it).

Edited by SpookYa

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

There's a co-op mode that you'll be restricted to for the first few account levels. Don't be in a rush to head up the tiers or jump straight into pvp, take some time out to learn how ships handle. They're a lot more slow, deliberate and durable than tanks or plane, so it'll likely take some time to get used to.

216 posts
2,239 battles

This might be a bit to all take in (and some of it is out dated), but iChase has a lot of good tips if you want to start off knowledgeable about the game play.

12 posts
300 battles

So uhh, what lines are newbie friendly?

I have my eyes on the Japanese battleship line, but I'm not sure how newbie friendly they are (I'm currently in tier 2 cruisers/destroyers and tier 3 cruisers). So far, I guess my ideal play style is to shoot from afar but, I'm not that great of a shot yet so... I have no clue lol. I'm struggling to get hits with torps too and I really don't have any idea what I'm doing in this game, despite watching some of those vids given above.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

There is no truly friendly type ship or nation

All have pro and con, and unique gameplay

Such as IJN DD the only ship specialized for takibg down BB while Russian DD playing much more sparta with his powerful gun that could penetrate cruisers

Battleship suffer the most if the captain have a habit sailing straight, both from enemy shells or torpedo

Edited by Harpoon01

1,230 posts
2,354 battles

Hmm.

The first line I tried was IJN BB since CBT and I can tell you, I'm happy with them

I think, if you like long range fires, you might go for those RU CAs (Damn you 180 mm RoF and insane range)

TBH, USN BBs got, at lower tiers, better armour layout than IJNs.

You could go and try Kongou (Full Upgrade) IJN Tier V BB. 

I always find Myoukou to be impressive, but I struggle with Mogami.

Just don't rush CVs, you need to learn mechanics from surface ships first

Or, if you would like analytics

CVs

USN: -They dominate the skies, their fighter can shoot nearly everything down and planes are super-durable. It is not ideal for attack loadout as if you go attack you will have no fighters. 6 planes/squad, but less number of squads than IJN.

I don't recommend this line just yet because fighter straff will definitely be able to make you cry.

IJN:-They have a lot of impact on the match, as they could take HP out of enemy easily with their attack squads. Do not even think about using it's fighters unless you are at 3/1/1 Ryuujou (Which a skilled 1/1/1 Independence can still kill you)

Still don't recommend it, because curse fighter straff

BB

USN:  At low tiers, it has great armour layout, not to be citadeled easily however snails go faster than them 18 (or with upgrades, 21 meh knots). Low tiers are accurate but high tier's accuracy is meh, pray to RNG to get a hit, but higher tier speed is a cruiser (27 knots and as for Iowa, 30).

IJN: Low tiers are great, Kongou Buring love. Izumo by her reputation is pain but some guys enjoyed her. Yamato... them 460MM cannons doesn't joke, the line is pretty smooth, not accounting Izumo)

CA

USN:  -No torps from tier 5 and above, meh, has insane AA, and a great armour layout and citadel protections. It is known for it sub-orbital firing arc. 

IJN: Insane fire chance, average-joe AA, large citadels, larger than slabs, AP shells is great at close range. Has a very cool torpedoes.

RU: WTF long firing range, Stalinium penetration, torpedoes are only for self-defense. And paper armour

KM: Railgun AP, but HE will overpen to a degree. Armour is average. Torps are OK

DD

USN: Prety much a gunboat. Low tier USN torps will suffer, but their guns... their guns. They can invisi-fire, and AA is pretty useful. You can brawl with other DDs with ease, and basically set fires.

IJN: Guns=meh (Exception is Fubuki) Torps, low tier are awesome. Kagero right now is pain. Fubuki is love. Shimakaze with F3s torps and CE with all concealment mods is awesome. For IJN you mainly use torpedoes. Don't get detected, you don't posess the capability to duel other DDs.

RU: Your life is not hard, you basically dodge shells and set fire to anything in range.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

IJN DD is not even viable, except at tiers 5 and below. i would recommend you going for USN DD for newbie friendly grind and better high tier gameplay. As for casual gaming, go: New Mexico (tier 6), Kongo (as suggested by someone) and Furutaka at tier 5 (a.k.a the Furious taco with C hull)

109 posts
5,101 battles

BB

USN:  At low tiers, it has great armour layout, not to be citadeled easily however snails go faster than them 18 (or with upgrades, 21 meh knots). Low tiers are accurate but high tier's accuracy is meh, pray to RNG to get a hit, but higher tier speed is a cruiser (27 knots and as for Iowa, 30).

IJN: Low tiers are great, Kongou Buring love. Izumo by her reputation is pain but some guys enjoyed her. Yamato... them 460MM cannons doesn't joke, the line is pretty smooth, not accounting Izumo)

Basically it's as Mr. Conkhead said. As I have grinded through both BB lines, here are some additional infos:

US BBs:

-Low tier-Mid tier: (III-VII)

+Pros : Very good armor (hard to citadel), decent AA, high number of guns, tight turning diameter

+Cons: Low top speed (~21 knots), low gun range

-High tier (VIII-X)

+Pros: Godly AA, high top speed (Iowa 33 knots), good deck armor protection. high gun range (~23km)

+Cons: Mediocre side armor (Iowa, Montana are basically giant citadels), weaker secondaries than IJN counterparts. Tier X is not Yamato (obviously), turn like a tub

IJN BBs:

-Low tier-Mid tier: (III-VII)

+Pros: decent speed (Kongo ~30 knots, Nagato ~25 knots), long range gun (>19km), low dispersion, able to mount accuracy module early, reload faster than US BBs for some reason

+Cons: easier to get citadeled, turn like a tub, below-average AA, turrets turn slower

-High tier: (VIII-X)

+Pros: good top speed, tier X is the most powerful BB in the game, powerful secondaries (140-155 mm shells)

+Cons:Lower gun range than US BBs (except the Yamato), inadaquate AA, still turn like a tub

If  you want to play as a sniper, try IJN BBs. If you play as a brawler, try US BBs (be aware it may not be true for high tiers)

Edited by RepublicTrooper

[KGHSF]
3,203 posts
6,030 battles

Nah I'm not get along with pesicola (I suffered from easy citadel) I have unlocked hull and gun but not yet buy the ship

12 posts
300 battles

So from the sounds of things, Battleships are the way to go then for learning the game. I'll be trying out a bit of everything as well as I go, but both Battleship lines sound the most appealing to me right now. Thanks for all the help guys!

Now I just have to learn how to aim properly, dodge torps in battleships and position myself properly on maps lol... I've got a long way to go

1 post
447 battles

Please read. for Halloween event!!(important!!)

1.A start doesn't enter a circle until a battleship catches up.

"please into the circle" is TRAP!! (for Chinpanzees)

Too fast is Danger & too difficult for guard.(A chimpanzee is tricked.too easy!)

2.Must be shoot a catapult by the AP, Enemy warship burns in HE & Torps.

3,Don't touch the back 3ships at a middle stage.(It's a TRAP, Don't look back!!)

4.A destroyer uses a smoke screen for a route of a guard target by the last defense line.

5.When an enemy approaches within the 4km, this is burned by an associate gun.

If you can't it?  OK,You are chimpanzee.  

Please play this game after it evolves into human.

Video Contributor
2,262 posts
10,788 battles

RU: WTF long firing range, Stalinium penetration, torpedoes are only for self-defense. And paper armour

only tier 5 7 8 9 paper armour

[WOWMY]
185 posts
2,302 battles

Once You get to T3 PM me I'll help you with tactics and gameplay stuff.

Nice to have you aboard.:honoring:

OP,

You can count on me and @Aaditya_AJ :honoring: . Frankly typing , it's quite rare to have a new Captain heads to forum and introduce himself/herself since most of the new Captain doesn't even bother to check out the forum. Anyway, welcome aboard - Good luck and fair seas Captain.

Regards

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

OP,

You can count on me and @Aaditya_AJ :honoring: . Frankly typing , it's quite rare to have a new Captain heads to forum and introduce himself/herself since most of the new Captain doesn't even bother to check out the forum. Anyway, welcome aboard - Good luck and fair seas Captain.

Regards

Oh wow We're kinda late :teethhappy: Look when this post was posted. We've been trolled :teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this