Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grimnar42

Is Yamato really worth the grind

31 comments in this topic

354 posts
13,212 battles

As the title says. I am finally up at tier 8 and 9 and seeing a lot of Yamato BB in game now thing is they hardly ever seem to survive the battle being number 1 priority target for every enemy ship and plane. Understandable of course it really hurts when you get hit by her shells but her repair costs must be astronomical. Is it really worth the grind to get her when you know every enemy player will focus on you.

TBH getting the Yamato was main reason I started this game now I am not so sure all the effort is worth it if you going to get sunk more times than not.

Edited by Grimnar42

32 posts
8,209 battles

I am playing Izumo at the moment and I think it doesn't worth it anymore. Concealment plays major role here which I think Montana survivability is much higher, same for Iowa vs Izumo. US BB AA and mobility is also better. Basically IJN BB is just lamp post with a signboard on top saying "Please aim me". By the way, this is not a complain, just sharing my view.

507 posts
9,829 battles

As the title says. I am finally up at tier 8 and 9 and seeing a lot of Yamato BB in game now thing is they hardly ever seem to survive the battle being number 1 priority target for every enemy ship and plane. Understandable of course it really hurts when you get hit by her shells but her repair costs must be astronomical. Is it really worth the grind to get her when you know every enemy player will focus on you.

TBH getting the Yamato was main reason I started this game now I am not so sure all the effort is worth it if you going to get sunk more times than not.

Woah Woah Woah..Whatever gave you the impression that Yamato is not worth the grind throw them out the window. Might be that the players you see with the Yamato might not be that good.

It's one heck of a ship. You can take a beating, retreat and get most of your HP back cause it has an insane Heal (Used to be even better before the Nerf). And its Shells Hurt really Hard plus the Accuracy is so good you dont have to pray to RNGesus for good dispersion.

Coming to the point where going against a Montana...its its not even a competition most of the times. I've seen Montana's retreat instead of facing me in the Yamato. Of course all this Holds true if you are good in the ship else its a moot point.

And the Modules and Upgrades. This is where it gets interesting. I run a Concealment and AA build. using the CE expert skill and the Mod its 13.5 kms (same as the Montana).Imagine sneaking up to a cruiser or a BB at that range, enough to give them a panic attack. And using AFT,BFT and the AA guns mod 3 Upgrade AA is pretty Good (Although not many cv's) it can squat planes out of the sky. (PS : 99 AA Rating.If you care)

If you like you can also go for the Secondary build if you like that sorta thing.With 11.1 kms secondary range you can be a little bit aggressive especially with destroyers.

With all that Said i don't see how the Yamato cannot be "Worth" the grind.

Edit : You're pretty much the Sea God in Wows.

Edited by petee

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

In my opinion, atm Yamato still the Best BB in game the 460mm is not joke it still be able to over match other Battleships while no one can over match Yamato Bow armor.

32 posts
8,209 battles

Above statement with a very imporment condition, Captain skill lvl 5 concealment and not encounter any tier 10 DD or CV targeting you. 

266 posts
5,142 battles

I just got my Yamato three days ago, and I have to say... I'm not liking the Yamato.

I feel like it depends too much on your teammates to push with you, which in random battle is a luxury. Whenever I try to lead the push I always become priority target for every ship in sight. Burning with 3 or 4 fires is a common occurence, not to mention torps and other yamato...

Stats wise, I'm still doing quite well, but I must admit I don't find it fun. :(

It's still much, much better than izumo, tho.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

play with division that can help u with defending. pushing, flanking, etc

yamato in division is good..

and dont forget

"Ah. go to the beach~

See the world~

and finally, SINK the Yamato"

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I am playing Izumo at the moment and I think it doesn't worth it anymore. Concealment plays major role here which I think Montana survivability is much higher, same for Iowa vs Izumo. US BB AA and mobility is also better. Basically IJN BB is just lamp post with a signboard on top saying "Please aim me". By the way, this is not a complain, just sharing my view.

You play the most powerful ship and still trying play Camo-Sniping?

[KGHSF]
3,250 posts
6,196 battles

I have heard Izumo is larger than Yamato IDK true or false but I know only it's strong armor at bow until broadside port except stern.   

32 posts
8,209 battles

You play the most powerful ship and still trying play Camo-Sniping?

You serious? Izumo the most powerful? Please enlighten me with your insight view.. 

32 posts
8,209 battles

I have heard Izumo is larger than Yamato IDK true or false but I know only it's strong armor at bow until broadside port except stern.   

Bow is strong, except facing Yamato.. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

You serious? Izumo the most powerful? Please enlighten me with your insight view.. 

You serious? Did i mention Izumo?

I'm talking about Yamato

Concealment plays major role here which I think Montana survivability is much higher, same for Iowa vs Izumo. US BB AA and mobility is also better. Basically IJN BB is just lamp post with a signboard on top saying "Please aim me". By the way, this is not a complain, just sharing my view.

Edited by Harpoon01

32 posts
8,209 battles

Well, if you refer to Yamato, I agreed his firepower is strong, except that I agreed with what Asakura Shinji said. Yamato is only strong with proper support.

354 posts
13,212 battles

Can we get back on topic here

Considering it is a torpedo and shell magnet and the high cost of repairs is it worth the grind ? Opinions please

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Considering it is a torpedo and shell magnet and the high cost of repairs is it worth the grind ? Opinions please

The same can be said for any top tier BB..

BBs are supposed to be the enemy's punching bag, so if you are concerned about high repair cost then i don't think you'll enjoy it..

32 posts
8,209 battles

Can we get back on topic here

That's where concealment comes in handy... 

64 posts
6,618 battles

If you want to know if Yamoto is worth the grind, join the public test if there's still time. You can have a Yamoto in short order and try it out for yourself. I tried it, It's a good ship, but all the tier 9 and 10 ships suck up credits like mad. I read in a forum that one of the reason's high tier players hang back so much is that the ships are so expensive to operate. That's the great thing about public test. They give you 30,000 doubloons and 1,000,000,000 credits to play with. So try it out. You also get first look at the changes for the next patch. Unfortunately, no premium ships are available.

Edited by Capt_Brownpants

[MEGA]
4,667 posts
17,947 battles

welll, just from the fast that if you move in a pack(yamato+ 2 CAs for fire support+1-2 DDs for torp spotting) yamato can pretty cripple a whole team, yamato is more then worth the grind

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

If you know how to play it then it is worth the grind. With the progress on my IJN line I am making in RB I think I might suddenly overtake my USN BB progressline and actually get Yamato before even Iowa. It is super powerful but you need to know exactly what you are doing

[MEGA]
4,667 posts
17,947 battles

meh, izumo isnt a bad ship to play as long as you have VERY good situational awareness, and above average gunnery skills, otherwise you'll just get weighed down by it's big fat hull and nil port armor

(i take back what i say about the izumo's dispersion being shit, it seems that the shell speed is slightly faster then amagi, so that was throwing my shots off, also, there's rarely any chance you can use all 3 turrets, so from the fewer shells hitting on mark, i assumed that dispersion was worse:ohmy:, Tis my grave error, this ship is like a bloody sniper:red_button:)

32 posts
8,209 battles

meh, izumo isnt a bad ship to play as long as you have VERY good situational awareness, and above average gunnery skills, otherwise you'll just get weighed down by it's big fat hull and nil port armor

(i take back what i say about the izumo's dispersion being shit, it seems that the shell speed is slightly faster then amagi, so that was throwing my shots off, also, there's rarely any chance you can use all 3 turrets, so from the fewer shells hitting on mark, i assumed that dispersion was worse:ohmy:, Tis my grave error, this ship is like a bloody sniper:red_button:)

Disagree.. Izumo dispersion is seriously bad. Only once in a bluemoon I have good game when RNG spare me.. but she's a good punching bag. Sometimes I can't help but to think that WG is deliberately tuning down IJN vessel's performance in order to force players switching to Russian and German lines.. just look at those past changes on these vessels: Izumo vs Iowa; Ibuki vs Baltimore vs Roon vs Donskoi, sigh.... 

Sign in to follow this