You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Afujintaro

What is the Actual Loss in Re-Training?

39 comments in this topic

15 posts
188 battles

I checked both the wiki & this forum (search function didn't work well), but couldn't find the answer.

I have a quick qn for the vets.  What is the penalty when a captain is re-trained to another ship.  Does he just lose some XP of the current level?  Or does he lose skills?  Or...?

Thanks for helping me understand this...

507 posts
9,826 battles

Penalty is some of the skills don't work during retraining and some skill's effect is reduced by 50%.

As for the XP.He doesn't lose any.Usually you need half the amount of xp the commander currently has.So while you retrain, the commander doesn't rank up.

Edit: All of this changes if you have a premium ship of the same nation the commander belongs to.

Edited by petee

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Retraining needs 50% of the base exp of what's needed to rank up your commander.

If you use the credit retraining, it'll be reduced to 75%.

In short, if you fork over 200k credits, you only need to grind 25% exp- Unless you use doubloons.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

this is my most hated part of this game retraining captain. specially if the ship is a destroyer, without situation awareness and last stand DD hardly stand a chance specially at high tier battle. i have to stop the progress of my RU DD because i don't doubloons to retrain the captain to 100%.

as bonus, once retrained you captain can't be used in the previous ship that he uses.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

this is my most hated part of this game retraining captain. specially if the ship is a destroyer, without situation awareness and last stand DD hardly stand a chance specially at high tier battle. i have to stop the progress of my RU DD because i don't doubloons to retrain the captain to 100%.

as bonus, once retrained you captain can't be used in the previous ship that he uses.

use PvE to gather xp, and if you can, find a nice friend who willing to div with you and help you in retraining prosses (and help them when they need it)

Yes, i know finding a friend is hard, but just try and it is not impossible to find people who willing to help. (play 2 or 3 game and the rest play with your norml ships)

Edited by XP_On

15 posts
188 battles

Penalty is some of the skills don't work during retraining and some skill's effect is reduced by 50%.

As for the XP.He doesn't lose any.Usually you need half the amount of xp the commander currently has.So while you retrain, the commander doesn't rank up.

Edit: All of this changes if you have a premium ship of the same nation the commander belongs to.

Retraining needs 50% of the base exp of what's needed to rank up your commander.

If you use the credit retraining, it'll be reduced to 75%.

In short, if you fork over 200k credits, you only need to grind 25% exp- Unless you use doubloons.

Thanks, Petee & Stein.

I'm still a little confused by your explanation.  Petee, you noted that he doesn't "lose" any XP, but still needs to retrain half (50%) of what he has.  Then Stein says 50% of base exp needed to rank up.

So is this (a) 50% of his entire XP OR (b) just 50% of the XP progress between current rank & next rank?

I am assuming (a) because if it is 50% of his entire XP, then effectively he gets knocked back a few level, which is why Petee says his skills don't work.  Correct?

Maybe, could either of you guys help me with just a simple worked example?  Thanks so much.   :)

Afujintaro

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Thanks, Petee & Stein.

I'm still a little confused by your explanation.  Petee, you noted that he doesn't "lose" any XP, but still needs to retrain half (50%) of what he has.  Then Stein says 50% of base exp needed to rank up.

So is this (a) 50% of his entire XP OR (b) just 50% of the XP progress between current rank & next rank?

I am assuming (a) because if it is 50% of his entire XP, then effectively he gets knocked back a few level, which is why Petee says his skills don't work.  Correct?

Maybe, could either of you guys help me with just a simple worked example?  Thanks so much.   :)

Afujintaro

50% of XP required to get to next level. So retraining for free/credits for high level commanders is especially painful.

e.g. According to skill progression, a 15 point commander requires 231k XP to reach next skill point. Retraining him to another ship will require half of that (regardless of your current progress).

WG is effectively telling you to go buy doubloons :trollface:

15 posts
188 battles

50% of his current level. So retraining for free/credits for high level commanders is especially painful. WG is effectively telling you to go buy doubloons :trollface:

So let's say the captain is now at Level 8 and needs 16,000 XP to go to Level 9 (according to the Wiki).
He has already earned 2000 XP (out of the 16,000 needed).  He retrains.

If retrain for free, then he loses (a) 1000 XP or (b) 8000 XP (knocking him down to Level 5).
If retrain with credits, then he loses (a) 500 XP or (b) 4000 XP (knocking him down to Level 6).

Is scenario (b) correct?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I edited my earlier post for clarity while you were typing.

He doesn't "lose" any XP. The game just takes whatever XP is required to go to next level and uses half of that (if free retrain) as requirement for retraining. So a Level 8 commander with 7 skill points will require 8k XP to be retrained. He doesn't lose any levels or skill points.

15 posts
188 battles

I edited my earlier post for clarity while you were typing.

He doesn't "lose" any XP. The game just takes whatever XP is required to go to next level and uses half of that (if free retrain) as requirement for retraining. So a Level 8 commander with 7 skill points will require 8k XP to be retrained. He doesn't lose any levels or skill points.

Thanks, Amade.  This is very much clearer.

If you don't mind, I have two follow-on questions:

Q1:  I am assuming that while retraining, that's where the 50% skill effectiveness is in effect.  Also, unlike WOT, while retraining, he still gains 100% of any XP earned (no penalty), is that correct?

Q2:  I am assuming that unlike WOT, once the captain is assigned to another ship, he *MUST* retrain (re-specialize).  He cannot choose *not* to retrain and just keep getting normal XP (i.e. non-retraining XP), so he can be used to captain a few ships?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Thanks, Amade.  This is very much clearer.

If you don't mind, I have two follow-on questions:

Q1:  I am assuming that while retraining, that's where the 50% skill effectiveness is in effect.  Also, unlike WOT, while retraining, he still gains 100% of any XP earned (no penalty), is that correct?

Q2:  I am assuming that unlike WOT, once the captain is assigned to another ship, he *MUST* retrain (re-specialize).  He cannot choose *not* to retrain and just keep getting normal XP (i.e. non-retraining XP), so he can be used to captain a few ships?

1. Yes and yes.

2. He doesn't have to retrain, but he'll never gain any XP and the penalty will remain. So you can take a Benson commander and put it in a New Orleans without retraining, play a few games with skill penalty and gain no XP, then put him back to Benson and he'll start accumulating XP with all skills working again.

When you get the prompt to retrain, just click on Cancel if you don't want to retrain him. The prompt does not appear for premium ships.

15 posts
188 battles

1. Yes and yes.

2. He doesn't have to retrain, but he'll never gain any XP and the penalty will remain. So you can take a Benson commander and put it in a New Orleans without retraining, play a few games with skill penalty and gain no XP, then put him back to Benson and he'll start accumulating XP with all skills working again.

When you get the prompt to retrain, just click on Cancel if you don't want to retrain him. The prompt does not appear for premium ships.

Thanks, Amade.  Super clear now.

It now seems fairly deterministically calculable whether to retrain or get a new captain (assuming bunk space is not a constraint...)

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

This is why i try to plan when i want to retrain my commander.

let say you have point 8 commander with 24.500 of 25.000 experience point on Minekaze, then it need another 3.000 experience to research Mutsuki.

The normal way is to just playing until i get those 3.000 exp and then retraining the commander using the 200.000 credits not using doublon) if i do that, then my commander will be a point 9 commander and the poin it need to retraining is : 37.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 9.250

but then i send that commander into reserve, and hire a new commander. pay 10.000 credit to get 1 point that i use in Situational Awareness:. play until i get the remaining 3.000 exp on minekaze and research .Mutsuki 

I then put the commander from the reserve list into mutsuki. and pay 200.000 credit to get 25.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 6.250 (less exp need to retraining mean you will get a fuctional commander more faster right?)

this method will give more impact on higher level commander. so my advice is to count the remaining exp for your next tier ship, compare with your commander point and plan ahead...

507 posts
9,826 battles

This is why i try to plan when i want to retrain my commander.

let say you have point 8 commander with 24.500 of 25.000 experience point on Minekaze, then it need another 3.000 experience to research Mutsuki.

The normal way is to just playing until i get those 3.000 exp and then retraining the commander using the 200.000 credits not using doublon) if i do that, then my commander will be a point 9 commander and the poin it need to retraining is : 37.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 9.250

but then i send that commander into reserve, and hire a new commander. pay 10.000 credit to get 1 point that i use in Situational Awareness:. play until i get the remaining 3.000 exp on minekaze and research .Mutsuki 

I then put the commander from the reserve list into mutsuki. and pay 200.000 credit to get 25.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 6.250 (less exp need to retraining mean you will get a fuctional commander more faster right?)

this method will give more impact on higher level commander. so my advice is to count the remaining exp for your next tier ship, compare with your commander point and plan ahead...

LOL..I thought i was alone..

507 posts
9,826 battles

Lol, so kiasu :trollface:

Buy doubloons guys!

One Word... : "Broke"
Edited by petee

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

We're gamers.  Min-max-ing is part of the fun!   :P

+1

use the money to buy prem ships instead

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Hey, I min-max too :-P

Do I spend several days grinding to get my commander skills to work again or do I spend a couple dollars to fully retrain them?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

At tier 7 to 10

This feature is quite couraging us to use doubloon

ikr, there's no way a dd can easily grind 50~100k exp without situation awareness and last stand. even cruiser without situation awareness is already hard.

507 posts
9,826 battles

ikr, there's no way a dd can easily grind 50~100k exp without situation awareness and last stand. even cruiser without situation awareness is already hard.

I did..Used the +100% camo and every xp gain flag available. Done in like 20 matches. it was for The Gearing - around 53k xp