Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Advancer231

Ranked Battle Team Tips

19 comments in this topic

75 posts
4,778 battles

This is coming from a player who came back from a 17-match losing streak and has therefore been stuck at rank 15, and I've had A LOT of matches to observe where things went wrong.

During much of my matches, whether it be in a Cruiser or a Battleship (my go-to types for Ranked Battles), a common scenario I have faced was being either the last, or one of the last, members of my team still floating while the enemy either picked us off one-by-one, or chased us down and let the points roll in from ALL THREE of their captured bases. While nothing can be done about how skilled the opposing team is, this does not mean that your team cannot put up just as good a fight. Undoubtedly, there are other players participating in ranked battles who are experiencing similar frustrations, so for those who are interested, here are a few simple observations from my winning games that have lead the team to victory.

1. Don't split up (unless you're a skilled destroyer)

One thing that I have noticed during ranked battles (and just about every other battle) is that the solo player or the small group of players separated from the rest of the team are the most likely to be taken out the fastest in the match should they encounter a group of greater numbers or bigger class. In Ranked Battles, since the teams are smaller, it is easier for small, or even evenly-split groups to become overwhelmed should the odds not be in their favor and they are pitted against larger groups, so it is important that the team stay together. Far enough apart that maneuvers will not result in a collision, but close enough that most, if not all, of the team can provide support.

(This is especially important for supporting Battleships. While a group of cruisers are perfectly capable of taking down a battleship or two, other battleships are your team's fastest way of dealing with enemy battleships or clusters of cruisers. A single well-placed salvo will be devastating, no matter how slow or how big a target the delivering BB is, and it's large health pool and armor will allow it to draw some enemy fire away from damaged allied cruisers while they flee)

However, a skilled destroyer player has better chances of splitting off from the team by steaming ahead and capturing a base, from establishing one for his/her team to gain points from, or capturing one to draw the enemy to that base while the rest of the team gathers for a push on the other base. Other destroyers on the team may even form a small flotilla that is useful for hunting other destroyers or harassing enemy players from one direction while their teammates shoot away from another. Destroyers have the best chance of surviving away from the team due to their small , hard-to-hit profile and excellent speed and concealment values.

2. Do not ignore the points!

Far too often, my matches were declared losses after the enemy team reached their goal of 1000 points while myself and the rest of the team were focused on thinning out their numbers or running away to avoid sinking. One thing that I quickly learned is that it will improve your odds of winning if your team captures an area before your enemy does. this will give the team a head start in collecting points, which can only be bypassed by either capturing more basses, or destroying more ships of the opposing team. Another important thing to remember is that if you cannot sink enemy ships due to dispersion or evasive maneuvers destroying you chances of making decent hits, you can at least keep them from moving in and capturing your own base, or the third base on the map. While this is not always a permanent solution, it helps to buy your points as much time and sources as possible to pool up. Even if only one ship is left floating, as long as that ship can survive long enough for the points to do all the work, the team can still win.

3. Know when the above observations don't apply.

In the end, it all boils down to how the teams engage each other in different and ever-changing situations. Sometimes, staying together as a group will only give the enemy a large cluster of targets to vaporize with their main battery and torpedoes. Other times, focusing too much on securing your team's points when they could be needing fire support will quickly leave you either alone, or with only a few surviving teammates with nothing more to do than run because you can't hold the enemy team from your base, or they've captured two bases and while you hold them off from your own, their points pass your team;s anyway. It is always important to adapt when the situation changes, from spreading out to prevent being surrounded or leaving the points be to quickly reduce the numbers of the enemy fleet since they've already captured two bases and you have to reduce their points by sinking them.

​Always remember, though, that even if you manage to follow and successfully implement these observations, nothing will save you from a lucky multi-citadel penetration, devastating strike or detonation inflicted by your enemy, nor will it improve your accuracy when dispersion refuses to let your shots connect, but allows theirs to penetrate.

507 posts
9,826 battles

I'm seeing some rather good play by both teams. In maps where close quarters engagements are plenty dd's usually just smoke the bb's while some come out and spot for them.It's kinda annoying to deal with without cv's around.

I went for their cap and found a bb 4 kms sitting in the smoke lol.No one knew he was there until his secondaries started going off.That guy probably snagged 3 kills in like 2 mins.

Edited by petee

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,573 battles

the way i see dd with super duper capt skill will help win the match and playing cruiser is the worst

undetected dd will spot and BB easily kill cruisers then dd will move in on BB

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

I had a game where my team all died, enemy had 300 points advantage with 2-1 base advantage, I capped one and killed them both and won the game

people just need to get better and work as a team

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Don't forget too that focusing fire on one ship at a time greatly accelerates the culling of the opposing team.

Especially the one with high DPS such as Fuso and Cleveland

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Especially the one with high DPS such as Fuso and Cleveland

Cruisers are the prime target cuz if they get multiple citadel it will be gg for them :D:D:D

but next in my opinion is DDs if we can pick off all the enemy DDs we have a good chance of winning since it will be really hard for enemy to cap without DD

BB kinda special one if they know what to do + some help from DDs smoke they will be really hard to kill better leave them alone but if BB getting too close and team can focus fire on them kill it first since losing BB is really put out the damage dealer / tanker in the same time :P

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

So the conclusion is, kill them as fast as you can so your team can win

my motto is "Less enemy less problems" (which result in me KS alot cuz i want to finnish eneme as fast as possible) :D:D:D

But at the same time make it as hard as possible for enemy to sink you, if enemy mad at you, you know you doing great :trollface: 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

If only we can division in ranked battle

You will meet another division consist of many kind of monsters (kai_gun, Shimakaze_1941_1944, Poi_Kamo or Magnus you name it they will div together and rekt us all) and lose horribly :trollface: 

507 posts
9,826 battles

You will meet another division consist of many kind of monsters (kai_gun, Shimakaze_1941_1944, Poi_Kamo or Magnus you name it they will div together and rekt us all) and lose horribly :trollface: 

WE have Melon :izmena:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

WE have Melon :izmena:

tbh im too noob to compare with those player.. you need to witness it by ur self those (and some i didnt mention) player are good the point that they can win the match by them self and imagine 3 of them div together.. how we suppose to win...

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

My two cents for BB captains in ranked:

Stop sniping from your max range. No, don't give me any excuse. Stop it. Just stop it.

my request for CL/CA captains, please kill those DD if i move foward as BB, many time i died because the cL is not trying to protect me and then suddenly a DD show up.

tbh im too noob to compare with those player.. you need to witness it by ur self those (and some i didnt mention) player are good the point that they can win the match by them self and imagine 3 of them div together.. how we suppose to win...

let them win and reach rank 1, so we can clear the ranked form monsterous player. then after they gone, we rock and roll

Edited by XP_On

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

my request for CL/CA captains, please kill those DD if i move foward as BB, many time i died because the cL is not trying to protect me and then suddenly a DD show up.

let them win and reach rank 1, so we can clear the ranked form monsterous player. then after they gone, we rock and roll

Everytime I play a match in cruiser/DD: battleships camp at the back

About half the times I play a match in BB: guys you wanted me to push, so why are you 10km behind me

Seriously some players don't even know how to work as a team, they just play ranked like it is random. I am guilty for carrying some of them up to this rank though:(

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Everytime I play a match in cruiser/DD: battleships camp at the back

About half the times I play a match in BB: guys you wanted me to push, so why are you 10km behind me

Seriously some players don't even know how to work as a team, they just play ranked like it is random. I am guilty for carrying some of them up to this rank though:(

Its really normal.. you need someone dependable in other class other wise no support or no cap, just take is as random battles since you playing with random player :D:D:D 

Sign in to follow this