Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

8 comments in this topic

3 posts
4,110 battles

Hi all, my first post here – please forgive me if the post sounds stupid; I hope you can enlighten me as I am currently struggling in my Colorado and New Orleans. Here is the detail of me as a player and my problems with the two ships.  

Type of ship used
As you can tell from my stats (https://warships.today/player/2011282088/asia/Kwong_Chi_Man), I mainly play cruisers (made to T7 in all countries + New Orleans and Atago) with some experience in BB (reached Colorado) and DD (Ognevoi and Farragut). It seems that I do well in ships that has quick-firing guns (6-inch to 8-inch); they are easier to play in general anyway. I do not suffer from any connection/frame problems. 

General stats
I have around 1,000 games under my belt so I guess I can now identify a number of patterns in my gameplay. I deal lower-than-average damage (except monster games) and slightly below-average in terms of kills; my winrate is ok-ish (a recent falling trend is observed); my main-gun (my major weapon) hit ratio is only 26-27%; I am a terrible trop user. I have seen Ichase and many very useful videos on aiming but it seems that I cannot get any higher than that (except in BBs). The basics of angling and sailing is not a big problem for me, though I have some difficulties of having citadels (aiming at waterline or lower than waterline? If so, how low?) If you experts here can spot any other patterns please let me know – that would be important clues as to where should I improve.  

Play style in Random
I consider myself a team-player who always try to communicate with others in game (though not always helpful) such as saying “[Colorado here]: I will tank towards A…” or “I will try to cover the capture of A or die trying… (When I am in a cruiser)”. Sometimes an ad-hoc team would be formed that leads to a happy ending (with people showing compliments to each other); sometimes no one responds and I just follow the pack (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Problems with New Orleans
When I was in my Pensacola I have a 60% victory rate but below-average damage because I usually go out hunting DDs and can only survive in around 30% of the battles. My grind to New Orleans ends in a hard-won victory in my Pensacola killing 5 ships – then the nightmare starts -I play terribly in my New Orleans when I face higher tier enemies. I tried to angle but it seems that it is not working – and I cannot deal too much damage staying too far back in New Orleans. In happier times I can use my radar to catch DDs and sink them quickly – but that is rare. I have a captain that reaches demolition expert – is concealment expert a must in high-tier cruiser games? I have an Atago and it is much less painful in it (the guns in Atago seems to be more forgiving). Should I use AP or HE in New Orleans and when? And the bottom-line question: does Des Monies really worth the grind? 

Problems with Colorado
I had a bad time in New Mexico (strangely, I did ok in New York, but the sample size might be too small to be of significance) so I expected to have a miserable time in Colorado. On the contrary I actually like the ship – the 16-inch rifles is a lot easier to deal real damage and you can still see cruisers sailing broad-side in T7. Nagano is not really a threat to me unless it is supported by light units. However, my win-rate in Colorado is very low (~40%) and I deal an average of 53000 damage – far from enough to be a responsible BB. I tried to tank in all my games (well that's the role of US battle-wagons) and I am okay with being hurt (or even sunk if it helps the general effort) but it seems that I am still bad in positioning –  what should I do to improve that? Should I fight closer to caps or should I stay with other BBs (usually Japanese)? And should I play “forward-reverse” style or turning circles in my Colorado? Is North Carolina going to be a better ship for me? I guess I would do good in HMS Nelson (well everyone does as it seems that the ship is made for the game with nine forward facing 16-inch guns)

Sorry for the long post; Any suggestion would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

See you in game – hopefully in the same team so that I can tank damage/kill some ships/disperse DD for you.

Is it forbidden to post links here? If so, please let me know. Thanks!

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

When I was in my Pensacola I have a 60% victory rate but below-average damage because I usually go out hunting DDs and can only survive in around 30% of the battles. My grind to New Orleans ends in a hard-won victory in my Pensacola killing 5 ships – then the nightmare starts -I play terribly in my New Orleans when I face higher tier enemies. I tried to angle but it seems that it is not working – and I cannot deal too much damage staying too far back in New Orleans. In happier times I can use my radar to catch DDs and sink them quickly – but that is rare. I have a captain that reaches demolition expert – is concealment expert a must in high-tier cruiser games? I have an Atago and it is much less painful in it (the guns in Atago seems to be more forgiving). Should I use AP or HE in New Orleans and when? And the bottom-line question: does Des Monies really worth the grind?

[simply as usual just use AP since USS New Orleans is able to pack a punch on all battles so using AP on tier 6-8 ships and HE on BB but choice is up to you.]

Problems with Colorado
I had a bad time in New Mexico (strangely, I did ok in New York, but the sample size might be too small to be of significance) so I expected to have a miserable time in Colorado. On the contrary I actually like the ship – the 16-inch rifles is a lot easier to deal real damage and you can still see cruisers sailing broad-side in T7. Nagano is not really a threat to me unless it is supported by light units. However, my win-rate in Colorado is very low (~40%) and I deal an average of 53000 damage – far from enough to be a responsible BB. I tried to tank in all my games (well that's the role of US battle-wagons) and I am okay with being hurt (or even sunk if it helps the general effort) but it seems that I am still bad in positioning –  what should I do to improve that? Should I fight closer to caps or should I stay with other BBs (usually Japanese)? And should I play “forward-reverse” style or turning circles in my Colorado? Is North Carolina going to be a better ship for me? I guess I would do good in HMS Nelson (well everyone does as it seems that the ship is made for the game with nine forward facing 16-inch guns)

[Try Snipe]

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

S-Such a pristine, organized and innocent first post... Unlike so many others...

Radar is wunderbar, but only use it when you're sure the DD you're fighting will not escape alive.

USN AP has excellent normalization and is viable for fighting other CAs, even at long range.

For citadels, you aim for the smokestacks or the forward-most large-caliber main battery guns at the waterline if you're fighting them from <12km, but any further, and you aim above the waterline to make the most out of dispersion- Unless they sail straight.

Or, find a reliable div mate so you get consistent performance and assistance from your buddies.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

new orleans. if the target is presenting broadside, even though its a BB but not DD AP will still deal good damage. just use he if the target is angled or its a dd.

colorado : don't go alone, stay in the back of your cruiser and provide them with support fire and only move forward if they are going forward. coordinate with your cruiser teamates. colorado ap is good and penetrate cruiser even though they are angled and can hurt dd too.

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

PepsiCola and The house of rising sun best with AP (CA-CA), HE good to DD and BB, dont banzai charge just snipe and run.

Colorado armor is strong (bow) dont turn broadside, stay in open water and stay close to CA.

Edited by MatterCore

266 posts
5,142 battles

Hi Kwong. I might not be an expert player, but I'll try to answer some of your questions. :>

General stats
I have around 1,000 games under my belt so I guess I can now identify a number of patterns in my gameplay. I deal lower-than-average damage (except monster games) and slightly below-average in terms of kills; my winrate is ok-ish (a recent falling trend is observed); my main-gun (my major weapon) hit ratio is only 26-27%; I am a terrible trop user. I have seen Ichase and many very useful videos on aiming but it seems that I cannot get any higher than that (except in BBs). The basics of angling and sailing is not a big problem for me, though I have some difficulties of having citadels (aiming at waterline or lower than waterline? If so, how low?) If you experts here can spot any other patterns please let me know – that would be important clues as to where should I improve.  

I think your accuracy is fine. There's a lot of room for improvement, sure, but it's not that bad. If your damage is low, then you might have difficulties in making your shots count, or you have problem in surviving long enough to deal damage. Because as I see it, your survival rate is kinda low.

For citadels, I usually aim exactly at waterline. Dispersion will take care of the rest. One suggestion, don't try too hard to get citadels. Just relax and aim casually. In my experience, trying too hard only makes my play became worse.

It is not just you. New Orleans and Baltimore are indeed difficult ships to play. Unlike other cruisers, you can't snipe with these ships. You need to use everything in your disposal (terrain, concealment, or teammates) to get in an advantageous position and close the distance. Only then your guns can start to wreck things. Use mostly HE against battleships, unless he's broadside and the distance is quite close (<10 km). Against cruisers, use mostly AP unless he's committed to angle against you.

About concealment expert, imo it's a must-have for high tier cruisers. You will have to rely on concealment to stay alive against big mean battleships. Demolition Expert is not as important as CE, but I still recommend it to improve your chance against BBs.

And yes, after grinding these two ships, Des Moines is really worth the effort. But I must warn you, if you don't like the play style of NO and Balti, most likely you won't like the DM, too.

Problems with Colorado

For colorado, take my suggestion with a grain of salt, because I played it long time ago, when I still have less than 500 battles. I'm still a noob back then, haha.

I think your stats with colorado isn't bad. On the contrary, I think it's quite good. Your damage is still 11k above average, and I wouldn't worry about win rate because your battle count is still low. After 50 games or so your win rate will start to fluctuate less. if it remains bad after that, then you can start to worry about it. :3

About positioning and what-else, you will learn by experience. There isn't a sure-win strategy that will works in all situation. If what you did usually fail, try new things. Just find whichever method that works best for you.

Lastly, don't use the bow and reverse strategy on colorado. You will lose a lot of firepower. It's better to angle your ship just enough to fire all your guns, then wiggle back to severe angle while your guns are reloading.

Good luck~  :great: 

Edited by AsakuraShinji

3 posts
4,110 battles

Thanks a lot guys for the input! So it seems that I have been using the ships wrongly - wrong shells, wrong positioning and so on... 

Dying early is indeed an issue - being overly aggressive sometimes; in many cases I am the first ship to enter the game (others still loading) so I feel obliged to move into battle first (or cover capture points and so on). :hmm:

Wish me luck and I wish you good hunting in game!

Edited by Kwong_Chi_Man

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Thanks a lot guys for the input! So it seems that I have been using the ships wrongly - wrong shells, wrong positioning and so on...

Dying early is indeed an issue - being overly aggressive sometimes; in many cases I am the first ship to enter the game (others still loading) so I feel obliged to move into battle first (or cover capture points and so on). :hmm:

Wish me luck and I wish you good hunting in game!

Good luck mate.:playing:

Sign in to follow this