Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

Can someone give a good explanation on the mechanics on guns and armor in this game.

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,241 battles

I have tried to find some decent guides on gun penetration values and armors of boats, but so far I found nothing. I can't figure out how to determine the gun penetration on the guns. And also I have no idea how much the angle of the armor changes the armor's effective value. Please help!!!

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

idk either,

but it depends on, Caliber, Trajectory, Shell Arc, Armor Angle and some more RNG to deal Citadel and Ammo rekt

Edited by Harpoon01

783 posts
4,810 battles

It still works in principle with triangles.

Problem is, no one can give you really exact values due to the armor differentials depending on which part of the ship you hit and the difference in penetration values for the type of shell you used to hit the ship. There's also the angle at which the shell drops (better penetration when closer to the target since the shell is at a smaller angle perpendicular to the hit).

It can only be estimated up to a certain point.

Intuitively, the more angled you are, the lesser chance of penetration. Since the shell WILL have to pass through more armor. The armor is also thicker at the bow for most ships and armor details differ from every ship at every class.

753 posts
8,965 battles
1,452 posts
2,950 battles

The general idea is that BBs can pen BBs and CAs can pen CAs, and DDs can pen CAs within a certain distance.

You can ink the paper with data, but it all comes down to experience. You cannot penetrate a heavily-angled target if it hits the angled hull, but you can pen it if it hits the superstructure.

You can memorize the entire armor penetration table, but it all comes down to my first statement. It's not like you'll memorize the armor of a ship from bow to stern along with calculating the amount of armor it would have if it was angled- Heck, you can't even tell exactly what vector the ship is in, only a guesstimate. Then there's the horizontal geometric of the ship- Is it shaped like a spearhead or a cat's eye?

The only difference between CAs and BBs with more armor is that it can tank penetrations at longer distances, as well as needing less angling to save them from AP.

There is no RNG in shot deflections in WOWS, go past a certain angle and certain shells will auto-bounce.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I mean the point is that I hope that like in WOT, I can be sure of my pen value and as a result be able to choose my target more effectively.

Doesn't matter.

The general idea is that BBs can pen BBs, CAs can pen CAs, and DDs can pen CAs within a certain distance.

The only thing you ever need to be wary about are the shell normalization values for angled targets, as well as shell velocity- The latter is already listed in-game.

There are no CAs that cannot pen other CAs of the same tier if they are both showing broadsides. Same goes for battleships.

If you want a rough idea...

Broadside: Will pen if same ship type

Angled: Increased protection from ships of same type, but will activate fuses of larger-caliber AP shells if armor was too thin during broadside

Steeply Angled: Almost impenetrable to AP from ships of the same type, larger-caliber AP shells bounce if angled steeply enough to cancel normalization

Bow/Stern Pointed: Impenetrable to AP unless shell hits superstructure or stern is flat

Sign in to follow this