You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

Confessions of a tugboat captain.

142 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Greetings one and all.

The following is the life and times of a new tugboat captain. IE: me and what I've discovered (often the hard way) during game play. This includes the good the bad and the down right annoying. (Mods feel free to move it to any other place as I have no idea where/what it falls under - but please PM me where).

Okay about me, I've come to WoWS from WoTBlitz where I did okay (55% WR over 14000 games), so I have a feely good idea as to how Wargaming operates in regards to teams, RNG, dmg, etc..  Anyway my first start was using a subpar laptop (I5 but the graphics card only gave me a whopping 5-20 fps - it wasn't pretty) and I always felt it meant I never really played the game to its full potential, but anyway I think my wife took pity on me and decided that she was sick and tired of me yelling at the screen, so for her and my daughters sanity suggested we get a new one. A few days later I have a brand new desktop (as it's upgradable and we never take the laptop anywhere anyway) and yes, WoWS was the first thing I installed on her. Ironically the upgrade came with an option to open an account with Wargaming which included a 21 day premium account along with a Tier 2 Russian premium ship "the Diana" for any new accounts. Humming and haring I finally make the hard decision to start again - I hadn't played that many games to want to keep the old account (around 150) and it really seemed like a win-win to me.

Anyway day 1 and I've quickly gone through all of the tier 1 ships and moved onto tier 2. It's at this point you have to make a decision as to what lines to play, each obviously has there strengths and weaknesses, so after much deliberation I've decided to go with the Russian and German Cruiser lines. The Russian line - simply because I had the Diana so I can use her for training my Russian captains, and the German line for the Admiral Hipper (I just love how she looks). Why only the 2 lines, well it simply comes down to as a new player I know I'll struggle to change styles each time I change ships, and as you have so much to learn - why make it harder again!  

Random vs Co-op games. -  well each to there own here and I know people generally have a preference for one or the other, but in short Random is normally 12 on 12 players whilst co-op is simply 8 on 8 (or is it 7 on 7) however you're playing with players against the computer (disclaimer - sometimes you've got computer players on your team). Personally I prefer random as the XP rewards are so much better than in co-op, however at low tiers it can be really useful to get your ship maxed out before you take her into random. Co-op can be harder than it seems though as the more aggressive you play the more the AI will initially look to target you. Especially as I know other players use your health to there benefit to farm off. I found this time and time again on my first account that if I lead from the front I'd have just about every ship gunning for me....

Days 2 saw me have good successes, but day 3 comes about and OMG everything just falls apart for me as I start to climb the tiers! Now as you go up to tier 3 the MM changes from +1/-1 to +2/-2, which makes tier 3 a big step up as you start competing against tier 5 ships, even worse as a new player you're not going to have a captain yet! I have no idea why you don't get the captain here at tier 3 but until you get to level 7 or 8, you're behind every other player in the game who comes back to the lower tiers to seal club. But anyway I have my new tier 3 cruisers and wouldn't you know it my first 5 games with each one has me compete against tier 5 players... Bear in mind that I have no captain, am stock (no free XP here) and have guns which have if lucky half the distance of some of the Tier 5 BB's!... what a disaster and frankly wasn't much fun to play... sigh, maybe moving up to tier 4 would help.... lol.... Nope, Tier 4 has me fighting Tier 6 from my first games.... I literally had 13 games in a row playing stock tier 4 cruisers - the Karlsruhe & Svietlana against tier 6 players, with a lot of them having me as the only tier 4 ship on our side and even in the game. Talk about disappointing and I have to admit I almost threw in the towel over it..... As a player you should have a real opportunity to contribute and I can honestly say as a new player you results are literally at the beck and call of your team mates while you still come to grips with every component of the game. IE: accuracy, dodging torps, keyboard keys etc... Unbelievably my teams won like 2 out of the 13 games.... I can honestly say I got completely cleaned up in a number of those games by superior players, being in the wrong place at the wrong time etc, (no doubts there what so ever), but I started to feel that if this was the norm why bother playing!  NB: I do have a serious issue with the MM in Wows when going up a tier - but that's for another day.

Anyway as soon as I get captains training I pop back to tier 2 in the Diana, and what do I see in chat between players. That they're only playing these tiers to seal club, that's right you have new players with no captains skills being forced to play against players with captains of who knows what levels. Frankly this is crazy and is really an indictment on the game as new players get torn apart by these players. Maybe someone else can justify the disparity here, but I just can't see it as benefiting the game. Lets face it one of the fastest ways for new players to quit is being seal clubbed from day 1. Maybe WG could implement in MM (Matchmaking) that players with captains only fight players with captains and vice versa but I guess the amount of players actually playing the game works against this.   

But if you combine MM low tier imbalances with seal clubbing IMHO you have a serious breading ground of players learning to camp at the back of the map. That's right all those slow BB at the back learn to play there from day 1 because that's the only place they're learned to survive... Especially as at low tiers where they're all slow and sluggish, so real easy prey for those nimble DD's. However I still don't believe it's an excuse to do it though! 

Speaking of the Russian tier 2 Diana. This has got to be one of the best Premiums in the game, and frankly an absolute bargain for under $10, but boy you have to allow for her speed as she feels so slow. My games tend to be either very aggressive and in the thick of it, or I go the wrong way and spend half the match trying to get back into the thick of it... lol.... Try not to let a DD flank you either, as I've found her to be a lousy turner. Did anyone say torp's in the water! I've used her a lot (42 games) for credits and Russian captains training. Owing to her I now have my Tier 5 Kirov captain at L6 without having actually played a game in her, and my tier 4 Svietlana captain already at Level 8.

Tomorrow (in an much smaller post), my thoughts on team work within the game and what I believe are 2 of the most OP low tier tech tree ships in the game (if not all tiers) and what I've had to learn to combat them. Along with a number of questions which I'm hoping forumers will be able to answer, as I simply can't find answers for them anywhere.  

(Currently overall at 125 games, 53.6% WR).

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Welcome to the game! Yes low tiers can be brutal currently, though i found the same in WoTs when i played with clubbing. T2-T3 tanks with uber skilled crews at times, just clubbing away in division.

Perhaps they can put a limit on number of games at low tiers to stop the more experienced players going in for kicks and to help newer players out.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Welcome to the game, captain! Tier 3 MM can be brutal. Kawachi vs Kongo is.. Lol. So perform as best as possible when mm give you tier 2-4. When you get uptiered, play more supportive.

For the tree that you choose, you're in for a blast! Russian cruiser rocks. Bogatyr is russian St. Louis, and svietlana is bogatyr with torp and great concealment. But when you reach tier 5. You can't play aggressive again. Kirov and konigsberg is a glass cannon, fragile ship with excellent guns. Play supportive and use the long range guns to troll BB players.

Anyway good luck out there. And I hope we can meet in the high seas!

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Seal-clubbing is an economy-related problem if you ask me.

At the higher tiers, no prem = Zero to negative profit if you perform poorly: In short, the first to die in a 13v13 match gets the worst repair bill. Even higher, and the credit profit won't even reach the positive end unless you're in the top 5 of your team.

It does not help at all that the module upgrades for higher tiers cost a minimum of 1.5M- That's excluding the extra upgrades you can buy to maximize performance.

So we club.

Shamelessly, ruthlessly, efficiently- All for the sake of progressing through our ship lines. You could even say it's a ploy by WG to guarantee that low-mid tier players will always have someone to fight, along with making sure some of the older player's experience gets rubbed on the newer ones (And of course, to promote purchasing premium time).

Refer to this example where my div ate 10(!) out of 12 ships for the sake of monies.

Oho. And my profit? 250k credits. That's not nearly enough to even buy a single module. I must do it more than 5 times because this is an extremely well-off game. I'm not accounting for losses or early destruction.

What I'm saying is: Getting tiered with only fellow new guys is impossible because the economy guarantees that people will come back to the low-mid tiers for money. I don't think I need to show you the results of a clubber who got 9 kills in a T3 Derzki, 9 kills in a T4 Clemson, etc.

Make the economy more bearable, and you get less clubbers.

590 posts
2,995 battles

I personally don't think it's just that, to me, the mid tiers (4 / 5 / 6) feel more balanced, most of the battles i'm in generally feel more fun at that level :)

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Your post really open my eyes on what it feel as a new player.

There are many reason why people come back to lower tier and it affected the new player.

WG already differ the new player and experience ones. But if the number of player waiting for a match not enough, then they will merge it....

Maybe WG should give a new player more bonus to compensate the lack of experience.

334 posts
13,031 battles

Said it before so I'll say it again experienced players with high level captains playing low tier games is as much an unfair advantage as aim mods.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Said it before so I'll say it again experienced players with high level captains playing low tier games is as much an unfair advantage as aim mods.

WG already differ the new player and experience ones. But if the number of player waiting for a match not enough, then they will merge it....

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hello again one and all.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it, (I didn't realise the first post was so big).... Just to clarify on the low tiered seal clubbing I raised above, I'm more concerned that you have players without captains playing against those with them as it makes such an uneven playing field, than the fact that they do it.

But another day another battle, well I've had it all in my Svietlana, an absolute blinder of 57k dmg (loss), and what I thought was another absolute blinder but alas only 6k dmg! lol - I'd like to blame the sudden spike to 600 ping (during the entire game) for the low dmg here but it also appears I used AP instead of HE for most of the game as I still got a high number of hits here as well.....

My crew training in the Diana had a terrible run (all against tier 3) with probably the funniest game I've ever played in (even though it was a pasting by the op team). I've heard people talk about having the team park up at the back, well in one I had 9 of them literally sitting in the cap. The reason I say it's so funny is that the Opfor were able to literally drive and flank around one side, drive through the middle and I had to give up my flank to go back to protect the non-defended side, I literally knew it was going to be rough doing it myself in the Diana against 4 BB's, a destroyer and a St Louis, but O well it's low tier, so not much point dwelling on it.... I'm rapidly learning that at tiers 2-3  it seems that you might as well flip a coin at this tier as to whether or not you get any sort of quality on your team. However of more concern for me is that her lack of speed and her mobility is really starting to get to me. 

But it's been a very strange day with some of those games at 600 ping, I'd never experienced it before in WoWS and boy did it lag big time over it..

Anyway onto those OP Tier 2 & 3 ships. The Chester and the St Louis, were these made just to seal club as they're near on indestructible, superb armour, dpm, HE fires at will and range! I've seen then take down tier 5 BB's without even raising a sweat..... I mean if you ever want to win at low tier with high damage these 2 ships just seem to be made for it. It's almost as if WG said I know what we've made USN ships fairly jack of all trade so we need to give them some OP ships, I know lets strip all of the good qualities and pile them all into these 2 ships so that we give the US fans something to crow about....  For a new player it's like hitting your head against a brick wall... lol... The only way I've ever been able to take them down is generally with the help of others combining our firepower, otherwise one on one it seems to be a one way trip to see Davey jones. Alas my tier 2 & 3 ships don't have torps but I do get my revenge at tier 4 with the Svietlana's torps whenever possible!

Onto my questions..

1. How is XP calculated in WoWS? Is it just Win, damage, kills and Cap based? I'm hoping it's not and that I'm missing something else as it seems a very selfish setup as wouldn't it just breed kill stealers, players camping at the back farming damage of other players.

2. When you go up a tier, should you aim for hull or fire control first? Whilst fire control increases distance the hull upgrades seem to be of just as much benefit if not more! IE: Health, rudder shift time, torps, AA increases etc.

3. Is there a difference in XP returns for a tier 2 premium and higher tiered premiums? IE: Should I consider upgrading her to the Murmansk to get a better return on my investment. She's been really good for training so far but I'm wondering at higher levels does it mean I'm better of having a higher level prem?

4. Ranked play. I'm wondering if I should play the Kirov once fully upgraded in it to see how I go. I played in the Public testing and thought it was a lot of fun using ships I'd never played before. I know I'm no where near the top 10 (yet) but I reckon I could get to the Midway flag.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Ensign. 

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

St. Louis OP? Just remember that certain ships shine brighter than others as you progress. Though of course, if something shines, something's dull in comparison.

I don't think there's a formula, but damage dealt increases your xp gain based on the percentage of the targeted ship's HP. Dealing 10k damage to a destroyer will net you far more experience than 10k damage to a battleship. Capping alone nets you a huge bonus, but assisted caps give you a partial amount. XP gain scales with tier, however, it's not the same for credits- Despite performance, profit will exponentially drop per tier.

Which module you upgrade first is based on the ship. If the performance of a category is a joke, you fix that first. For example, a Fuso's stock hull only has 13km range for a battleship. However, hull B increases it to 19km(!) while vastly increasing its hitpoints. My recommendation is to prioritize on the ship's weak points.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Hello again one and all.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it, (I didn't realise the first post was so big).... Just to clarify on the low tiered seal clubbing I raised above, I'm more concerned that you have players without captains playing against those with them as it makes such an uneven playing field, than the fact that they do it.

But another day another battle, well I've had it all in my Svietlana, an absolute blinder of 57k dmg (loss), and what I thought was another absolute blinder but alas only 6k dmg! lol - I'd like to blame the sudden spike to 600 ping (during the entire game) for the low dmg here but it also appears I used AP instead of HE for most of the game as I still got a high number of hits here as well.....

My crew training in the Diana had a terrible run (all against tier 3) with probably the funniest game I've ever played in (even though it was a pasting by the op team). I've heard people talk about having the team park up at the back, well in one I had 9 of them literally sitting in the cap. The reason I say it's so funny is that the Opfor were able to literally drive and flank around one side, drive through the middle and I had to give up my flank to go back to protect the non-defended side, I literally knew it was going to be rough doing it myself in the Diana against 4 BB's, a destroyer and a St Louis, but O well it's low tier, so not much point dwelling on it.... I'm rapidly learning that at tiers 2-3  it seems that you might as well flip a coin at this tier as to whether or not you get any sort of quality on your team. However of more concern for me is that her lack of speed and her mobility is really starting to get to me. 

But it's been a very strange day with some of those games at 600 ping, I'd never experienced it before in WoWS and boy did it lag big time over it..

Anyway onto those OP Tier 2 & 3 ships. The Chester and the St Louis, were these made just to seal club as they're near on indestructible, superb armour, dpm, HE fires at will and range! I've seen then take down tier 5 BB's without even raising a sweat..... I mean if you ever want to win at low tier with high damage these 2 ships just seem to be made for it. It's almost as if WG said I know what we've made USN ships fairly jack of all trade so we need to give them some OP ships, I know lets strip all of the good qualities and pile them all into these 2 ships so that we give the US fans something to crow about....  For a new player it's like hitting your head against a brick wall... lol... The only way I've ever been able to take them down is generally with the help of others combining our firepower, otherwise one on one it seems to be a one way trip to see Davey jones. Alas my tier 2 & 3 ships don't have torps but I do get my revenge at tier 4 with the Svietlana's torps whenever possible!

Onto my questions..

1. How is XP calculated in WoWS? Is it just Win, damage, kills and Cap based? I'm hoping it's not and that I'm missing something else as it seems a very selfish setup as wouldn't it just breed kill stealers, players camping at the back farming damage of other players.

2. When you go up a tier, should you aim for hull or fire control first? Whilst fire control increases distance the hull upgrades seem to be of just as much benefit if not more! IE: Health, rudder shift time, torps, AA increases etc.

3. Is there a difference in XP returns for a tier 2 premium and higher tiered premiums? IE: Should I consider upgrading her to the Murmansk to get a better return on my investment. She's been really good for training so far but I'm wondering at higher levels does it mean I'm better of having a higher level prem?

4. Ranked play. I'm wondering if I should play the Kirov once fully upgraded in it to see how I go. I played in the Public testing and thought it was a lot of fun using ships I'd never played before. I know I'm no where near the top 10 (yet) but I reckon I could get to the Midway flag.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Ensign. 

1. Sort by Exp: Cap base(s) > Damage >  Kill > Anti Air > Survivalbility > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Team kill

Win conditon is just a multiplier

2. Depends on the ship, each ship have different guideline, please specify it later on.

3. ofc, higher tier gain more exp, the premi stats is just a multiplier for both credits and exp, but beware, choosing high tier premi ship will let you to face late tier ship such as "Meeting Yamato in Tirpitz" or "Meeting Iowa in Saipan" ,

also since the maintenance cost from tier 7 onward increase dramatically, Murmansk and any other mid-tier Premi ship is a better choice for Credit Farm

4. Ranked play will have you play with other player that "Actually want to win, no matter what" so when reaching rank above 14, it is not a child play anymore

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Thanks guys, I was thinking the Murmansk as a premium, and with the Kirov should I go for hull or range first. I've played 2 games and averaged 27k with her so she seems pretty good on the dmg side already.

Playing catch with Davey jones!.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

For its tier, the St Loius is a great ship. Once it goes up vs T5 can make it a little bit lack luster.

You will enjoy the phoenix once you get to it after the St Louis

199 posts
6,041 battles

Thanks guys, I was thinking the Murmansk as a premium, and with the Kirov should I go for hull or range first. I've played 2 games and averaged 27k with her so she seems pretty good on the dmg side already.

Playing catch with Davey jones!.

On Kirov, it depends on you. Do you prefer AA that can swat planes down, but you must sacrifice the reconnaissance plane; or do you prefer range to burn BBs from kilos away. Personally, I prefer Hull upgrade over range, at least you can defend your self from TBs. If the CV is smart, they know that Kirov turns very slow, so they will always target you first, especially if you move in a straight line.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

as for me i only experience seal clubbing when i'm playing a new tech three, but i still play tier V and VI whenever i have a bad games on higher tier match or to just grind extra credit. even plan to buy murmanks for even more seal clubbing *cough* more credit earning.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

tier 5 is not seal clubbing. 

a new player who reach tier 5 atleast have a knowledge and experience on what WoWs is.....

so everyone.. stop playing below tier 5 please......

Meanwhile

let me use my smith for sealclubbing

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Ahoy, A very frustrated post ahead.....

Well what a day. A whopping 8% WR after 13 games (ground back to 25%) and man I'm frustrated. I have to admit I'm starting to wonder if the game is worth it. Top tier only twice out of the 13 games I played during the day (before 4pm) and every other game was against opponents 2 tiers higher than I was. In fact it stopped me from buying the Murmansk today, whilst I reassess the value of investing into a game which seems seriously imbalanced. Now before people jump on the band wagon saying it's totally random, that's just normal MM and that all I'm doing is wining, I know how WG operates and frankly there current MM methodology is doing everything to make my games very miserable. Frankly it's almost as if it wants me to quit. I would much rather wait 5-10 minutes for a fair matchup than constantly be battling tier 6 opponents in my Svietlana and Karlsruhe. Especially as in almost all occasions there were only a handful of tier 4's on each side. In fact if I take out my 2 carries and I would have lost every game.

If this is basically the norm and this would be the second time it's happened over the last week for me, I simply can't see why people play the game. Theirs absolutely no fun in constantly being outgunned all the time. You support the BB's but they sit to far back for me to be able to hit anything. You move in closer and every gun aims at you, as soon as you're spotted, as you're the lowest on the food chain. Waste of time supporting the CV's as they either park up or like in one instance today tried to cap straight away. (No idea what you can be said about that). Supporting the DD's also seems a bit of a waste when they cap as they hide straight away so the opfor aims for you, and the DD bugs out leaving you carrying the can. I watch as many youtube videos as I can for pointers which has helped me keep a fairly reasonable 30% hit rate but absolutely nothing I do makes any difference as the team doesn't survive long enough for me to compile damage against the tier 6 opponents.

I'm still going to continue playing as I do have premium time after all, but all in all I'm a rather confused player. I was sick and tired of having to carry WoTBlitz games, but I didn't expect to have to carry games when I've barely started playing the game, I wanted a challenge - not a beat down.

On a positive note, are the flags and ships worth getting in a premium pack? I don't use flags at the moment and at this point have no idea if they help or not (or really what they do), but I do know you can get them through game play, so it seems a bit of a waste to buy them. I'm still thinking about getting the Murmansk and they have a Murmansk & flags pack on sale now, but it's for twice the price which seems really excessive.

Hoping for a brighter day tomorrow.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

You'll get used to the meta.

Just like every loony who frequently posts in the forums with a winrate of 60%+

In the first place, 50% is the token average. The glorious statistic that says the average player wins one and loses one. Losing a bit more than that is nothing weird- But win more than that and you end up with a number that says you win only 3 times every 5 battles. Getting to 70% is far-fetched to the average Joe. Much in the same way that you can't expect a single ship to carry the game.

I've drifted a bit too far from the topic.

Take a break.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Well it's been a few days and things have improved somewhat. To be honest I got worse before I got better but after playing on the Test forum (which is insanely fun I must say using a L15 captain) it was time to work on my own fleet with a new sense of optimism. I brought the Murmansk (I didn't realise it was a USN Omaha) and I'm almost got myself a L10 captain for my Svietlana (only 8k XP to go). I also picked up the Konisburg today and retrained a captain from the Kolberg in co-op, so she's now ready to go with my L6 captain. (not flash but a better start than L1). I've started off with a positive WR at tier 5 and I'm starting to understand the Murmansk's playstyle which bodes well, o and the Kirov sucks against a really good CV player owing to its sluggish turn! (or is it just me)....

I've had a few strange instances in game plays but one really stands out, in one game I had come out of visual distance, with no indicator indicating I was spotted, yet got hit by 5 ships! I couldn't believe it, here I was changing directions and speed yet they all hit me, then to top it off a perfect spread of torps to my changed direction.... Very odd.... NB: I've just discovered even if the indicator goes away you're still visible for at least 3 seconds afterwards so I've got to allow for this!

I'm also wondering if what I'm thinking is dodging is actually not really adjusting the ships heading. If I do a second or two each way I'm starting to realise that I'm not allowing for rudder shift time.  As such I'm not giving the rudder enough time to make a difference in direction. 

I still can't get over how everyone hesitates to move forward, but having said that when I do move forward I get crucified as no one supports you.

This brings me on to my next real learning factor with the game. This is definitely not a team game. It should be, but I've been burned enough times now to know that there is no team (even in co-op) focus. Yes, you play with them, but you cannot count on any of your team mates to support you. It's seems to be, each to there own as everyone wants the kills and dmg themselves given to them on a plate. Owing to this I've started to adjust my game style - especially as a bottom tier ship - if I fire will I become focus fired on! Time and time again I'd fire and have all of the ships simply aim for me, others can be closer yet they see you and there eyes light up, wham bam you get pulverised as every top tier ship hits you with everything they have...... So I'm a lot more wary of leading the assault.

I also no longer use spotter planes unless I absolutely have to as I still can't get used to shotting this way. I may have to considerably increase my co-op play solely to learn how to use it!

Now all I have to do is improve my consistency, nothing worse than doing 40k dmg and follow it up with a 5k dmg game (which seems to be my downfall)...... But frankly it's early days and with each realisation comes new hope and improvements.   

So after around 175 games I've only really just learned to crawl and I know I still have a long, long way to go with one heck of a steep learning curve to climb before I can walk, so my 50 odd % WR is a much better reflection of where I'm at than what I'd like. (No point deluding myself there).

One last thing, the USN battleships in the Public testing were awesome to play (especially at tiers 8-10) so I'm seriously considering giving them a go and the weather effects across so many games made for a totally new experience in gameplay.

Until next time it's time to jump back onto the Public testing for a run up another new line and a few games to get my Detonation expert for my Svietlana.

NB: any ideas why the Warships today stats haven't updated for 3 days?  (just updated now...)

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

wow, finally, a new player who is not ranting and is actually trying to improve his game-play instead of blaming WG/MM/sealclubbers, +1 for you:)

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Another day, another failure on the WR side of things. 5 wins out of 15 games. It's become very apparent that MM is basically saying to me that I have to carry every game myself. I'm driving the tier 5 Kirov so I can easily carry tier 7 games in her, those tier 7's on my side are apparently only there for show, (Maybe tier 4's wrapped in cardboard cut out of tier 7 ships just to give me a challenge...) I have more than enough armour to take on Nagato's, Fuso's and every other ship out there......  I'm really pleased I'm  getting into the top 2-3 in XP the majority of the time now but it's so frustrating it all stands for naught if you lose. 

I'm still stunned to see BB's on full health at the end of the game and I don't think I'll ever get use to it, I won't criticise them as maybe they're in the same boat as me, (and besides the you-tubers heavily criticise them anyway!) but boy it riles you up end game.

On the positive side I don't recall failing once yesterday and my avg dmg is definitely rising as my consistency is coming through, though I did pull a few Notser's whilst dodging and weaving.

The Kirov, well it's a good ship but I've noticed that it may not be one I should be using at this stage, as my accuracy at longer ranges is still going through the improvement side of things.... But where does one practice these things? I enjoy brawling with her, in fact I probably play her more how a BB should be played than the BB's I see every day. Just without having any armour or heals.... I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing!

Owing to this I've played a few games in the St Louis. this ship needs to play against BB's for best effect... My first game in it and I took out a BB from full health.. alas I haven't had the opportunity since, but then I've only played 3 games in her..... I'm only giving her a run because of my consideration of the BB line. NB: I just love taking down other St Louis's in her, it's payback time! 

So today I'll play a few games in the Konisburg playing in co-op to gradually get her fully specked out, I'd have preferred to play her in random but frankly theirs no XP benefit point unless your team wins. I also really have to decide whether or not I should give the US BB's, or CA's a go. (gives me an excuse to play the St Louis) or just plug away waiting for the German BB line... Plus of course continue my Svietlana's captains training and hopefully see an improvement in my WR.....   

There's hope for me yet....

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

First of all, kudos to you for the detailed and relatively whine-free stories. Not many new players put this kind of effort into trying to learn the game. You just restored my hope in the playerbase a little.

A few comments from me:

1. In my opinion, being bottom tier in WoWS is much more forgiving than in WoT. Bottom tier BBs can citpen higher tier CAs/CLs, bottom tier DDs can torp higher tier ships or cap, bottom tier CVs can scout for enemy ships or protect friendly ships, bottom tier CAs/CLs can... pray not to get one-shotted by higher tier BBs, I guess? (Disclaimer: I'm a terrible CA/CL player)

The bottom line is there are many ways to contribute to your team even when you're bottom tier. Don't be those guys who complain at the start of a match for being bottom tier then proceed to go AFK or play half-assedly.

2. I see that you're playing CAs/CLs exclusively at the moment. Nothing wrong with that, but you should try playing other classes sometimes. There is no better way to learn strengths and weaknesses of a class than playing it yourself. Plus it's nice to break the monotony of playing the same class over and over again.

3. Give the USN BBs a go. They're much better now compared to a few patches ago. A bit of warning: the ships below tier 8 are extremely slow.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Quick add on, Just got my L10 captain with Demo expert in the Svietlana but it doesn't seem to make any difference in fires being set.142 hits with only 7 fires. (less than 5%). This seems really low when it's supposed to have a 12% chance to lite em up. Is there a counter factor to it? IE: BB's armour etc?

Cheers

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

I thought aiming at the super structure helps this. You won't set fire to the armour belt.

Cant remember who posted that ages ago.