Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Cruiser help

19 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Can you name your cruisers you have in your port?

Cruisers can be multi-role to: Anti-destroyer, Anti-air, Support (support Battleships or Destroyers), or maybe countering Cruisers.

266 posts
5,135 battles

Hmm... I peeked at your stats, and I think you're doing just fine though?

Maybe you can be more specific, like what exactly you're having problem with?

783 posts
4,809 battles

Indianapolis, Atago, Aoba, Cleveland & Nurberg. I do okay with Cleveland & Nurberg though. It's the heavy cruisers I don't get. 

If it's CAs, and you already undestand CL gameplay, then I assume it'd be landing decisive shots(includes choosing shell type).

Since both play similar other than gun caliber, I'd assume getting used to the 'big guns' on a cruiser is the problem case.

178 posts
2,306 battles

I struggle to deal enough damage to have any meaningful impact on the outcome of a match. I think I also tend to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I do not know the role of a cruiser like I do a destroyer. 

Edited: My stats are probably misleading. 

Edited by TaikoTaiko

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I struggle to deal enough damage to have any meaningful impact on the outcome of a match. I think I also tend to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I do not know the role of a cruiser like I do a destroyer. 

cruiser are there to provide support for dd and bb, you are at the front of bb to prevent dd in sneaking and sinking them. you provide allied dd with cover fire if they are capping objectives.

cruiser shouldn't engage battleship or they will sink. cruiser are there to engage smaller ship like dd and other cruisers so your bb can deal with larger ship.

cruiser should also provide AA support but with the buff on AA on bb its seems that they are not needed that much unless its a lower tier  bb vs high tier cv.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Let's be realistic.

Cruisers are the grunts of the team. You'll be among the first to engage unless you shamelessly hide behind a battleship.

Your objective is to finish what the BBs and DDs have started. You point your guns at the most damaged enemy ship and you end it. You will set fire to those you can't destroy, and you will contribute to the immediate destruction of smaller ships in your vicinity- I mean, it'd be a waste for a battleship to fire its 356mm+ salvo on ships with less than 2k HP and/or possess no citadels.

Essentially, cruisers are your team's "Presence". By simply existing and getting spotted, you will mark a territory occupied by your team that the enemy needs to fight for. Get enough ships in one spot and they'll find another place to push through. If you possess sonar or radar, you will use it to lead your team's pushes into torpedo-land. If you possess the defensive fire consumable, you will only use it when the bombers are on final approach.

Since CAs possess medium-sized cannons, they are very much capable of penetrating the hull of other cruisers with AP- Save HE for softer or harder targets for maximum efficiency.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

IJN CA; Excellent vs Cruiser, Good vs Destroyer, Weak vs Battleship, no bonus vs Aircraft Carrier

USN CA; Excellent vs Destroyer, Aircraft Carrier,  no Bonus vs Battleship, Cruiser

KM CA; Excellent vs Cruiser, Good vs Aircraft Carrier, Destroyer, Weak vs Battleship

SVN CA; Good vs ALL xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxax

Edited by Harpoon01

266 posts
5,135 battles

Well, personally, I have never think of my cruisers as support ships. I think of them as a jack of all trades.

It's true that they are most useful when supporting allied DDs and BBs, but they can actually perform in any situations.

You have concealment for spotting, radar and hydro for fighting DDs, defensive AA to fight CV, and maneuverability to tank damage.

And who says cruisers can't fight BBs? T7+ IJN and VMF cruisers have powerful HE to burn any battleships down.

Roon and Hindy can deal 10k+ salvo every 8 seconds to broadsiding BBs with their amazing AP.

And don't get me started on Zao and Kutuzov. These two ships are literally battleship slayers.   

My point is, as long as you're not really isolated from the battle, you can't be in a wrong place or wrong time.

You will always able to find something to be useful. So in my opinion, the key for playing cruisers is to learn to be flexible.

If you struggle to live long enough to deal damage, maybe you're not using your concealment effectively.

Especially in higher tiers, concealment is your lifeline, just like DD. So always maximize your concealment values.

Keep moving and wiggling, vary your speed, but don't stop in open water unless you really, really, really have no choice.

Lastly, if you keep taking cits from BBs, consider taking incoming fire alert. That underappreciated skill has actually saved me countless times.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I dont actually think im good enough to help anyone on how to play Cruisers...

But i can tell by stats that you have problems with Cruisers compare to other class, mainly should be about how ur position ur self and survival, on the other aspect you seem to be doing ok.

Once you position ur self correctly your avg. damage you be higher :great:

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Thanks for the advice guys. I try my best not to be potato cruiser anymore. 

My stats do tell a pretty sad story right melo? :(

Nah, ur stats really solid and i already discuss with some of the members and we agree that you have potential, looking forward to div with u again :honoring:

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,559 battles

To me it's better to play cruiser as support role for BB because going ahead with DD most of the time it doesnt end well as a cruiser is easily detected

You can say i play like a coward but going with BB i can provide AA, help fight DD and burn BB. Your teammate survival is equally important as your own.

1,124 posts

your not the only one that potato with cruiser, me too =w=

I either go full armor as a BB or invincible no armor as a DD

but middle between it, I'm not good at all

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

your not the only one that potato with cruiser, me too =w=

I either go full armor as a BB or invincible no armor as a DD

but middle between it, I'm not good at all

Same.. 

If you ever play Russian DDs i think thats really closest play style as Cruiser as you can get.

124 posts

You mean you don't kill more ships than you survive in any matches?

I see you in CA earning double the exp than what I earn on average, only my average damage just slightly better than yours at Tier VI and VII (my Aoba, ARP Myouko, and ARP Haguro. I don't play CA often). My guess is you're more often on the frontline in the thick of things, such as capping (which probably explain your high average exp).

The trick for CA is... you can't play like a CL (Cleveland). CA with slower RoF and massive citadel means you have to hang back more often but still act depending on situations. Slower RoF means it's harder to deal with DD unless you're very good with each of your shots, or the DD is a potato, or RNG.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

IJN CA; Excellent vs Cruiser, Good vs Destroyer, Weak vs Battleship, no bonus vs Aircraft Carrier

USN CA; Excellent vs Destroyer, Aircraft Carrier,  no Bonus vs Battleship, Cruiser

KM CA; Excellent vs Cruiser, Good vs Aircraft Carrier, Destroyer, Weak vs Battleship

SVN CA; Good vs ALL xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxax

to add to the OP

Actually, your games in cruiser seems good, but you actually play all the the nation's cruiser that have different gamestyles, makes you unable to consistently play well

Edited by Harpoon01

178 posts
2,306 battles

You mean you don't kill more ships than you survive in any matches?

I see you in CA earning double the exp than what I earn on average, only my average damage just slightly better than yours at Tier VI and VII (my Aoba, ARP Myouko, and ARP Haguro. I don't play CA often). My guess is you're more often on the frontline in the thick of things, such as capping (which probably explain your high average exp).

The trick for CA is... you can't play like a CL (Cleveland). CA with slower RoF and massive citadel means you have to hang back more often but still act depending on situations. Slower RoF means it's harder to deal with DD unless you're very good with each of your shots, or the DD is a potato, or RNG.

Higher exp might be because I have premium. 

to add to the OP

Actually, your games in cruiser seems good, but you actually play all the the nation's cruiser that have different gamestyles, makes you unable to consistently play well

You have a point there. But I can't make up my mind sometimes. Gotta play them all! :teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this