Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
charcoal44

Ramming Damage Q

7 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,452 battles

Just now in battle with my new ARP Hei (god, that color, but hey, if was free).

I was battling a IJN CA and had a IJN DD sending fish my way (don't know how I avoided them all) anyway's sank the CA, and went after the DD, mu seconday's just couldn't put him down so I go for the ram. 

At this point I'd been burning for a while and was on around half health, so I burned my damage control and health consumables.

I rammed him head on, and sank him but the damage I received took me down to a quarter or less health. Ended up sinking cause my damage control never came back on in time.

So, how is it that ramming a small DD can deal such damage?

And while I'm on the subject of damage, a real bug bear of mine is the damage fines incurred when you run into other ships, why is it when you hit a ship through no fault of your own you get penalized? 

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In real life logic, any ramming maneuver is fatal to both ships- They're both thousands of metric tons of steel, after all.

In-game, ramming damage is based off the ship's maximum HP rather than than remaining HP.

Yes, that means a destroyer with 9000 HP will deal 9000 damage.

If the ramming maneuver exceeds 10% of the rammed person's maximum HP, they get flooded.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Realistically, if you rammed the midsection of the enemy ship with your bow, you should really be taking less ramming damage since its only your bow that's impacting the target, though the ram would still do significant damage to your ship (Ref HMS Glowworm ramming Admiral Hipper).  But, in game its all based on each ships maximum HP when it comes to ramming damage.

And while I'm on the subject of damage, a real bug bear of mine is the damage fines incurred when you run into other ships, why is it when you hit a ship through no fault of your own you get penalized? 

If you are talking about hitting friendly ship, well it is simple. There is no way to tell who was in the right when two allied ship hit each other since there is no Investigation team in WoWS where they send crew members of each ship as well as ship logs to determine who was in the wrong.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

What bother me so much, even a light scratch on enemy ship will cause a nuclear sized bomb (especially if both ships are big ships)

1,162 posts

In-game, ramming damage is based off the ship's maximum HP rather than than remaining HP.

Yes, that means a destroyer with 9000 HP will deal 9000 damage.

So basically that even you have 1000HP in a Kongo and then you ram enemy full health Kongo. The enemy Kongo still will die? 

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

So basically that even you have 1000HP in a Kongo and then you ram enemy full health Kongo. The enemy Kongo still will die? 

If both Kongou are using the same hull (No ramming flag), then yes, both Kongou will die regardless of HP left (Unless both are going at such slow speed, like 1/4 speed)

[LBAS]
4,485 posts
25,665 battles

If both Kongou are using the same hull (No ramming flag), then yes, both Kongou will die regardless of HP left (Unless both are going at such slow speed, like 1/4 speed)

yeah, look like this

13312683_1058189097598440_82944117798105

Sign in to follow this