Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tagnbag

help with saipan

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

3 tier 9 fighters vs 1 tier 7 cruiser launched fighter .. 2 tier nines dead, 3rd one outa ammo to kill 1 plane (and not above the cruiser .. )

8 tier nine divebombers vs tier 5 dd going in straight line, not dodging .. 1 bomb hit (incapacitation no damage) ..

vs RNG ..fail

vs the rebalanced aa .. fail

enemy tier 7 planes almost always have the +10% per level (so 20%) and theres a lot more of them, also a lot more ammo.

no secondaries vs dd

I need free captain upgrades because with 3 plane squadrons I suck ...  does it get better with the extra plane skill? or is she a fickle mistress ?

Is there a playstyle that works better than others?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Exactly the point of this ship

You need the tier 5 captain skill "Air  Superiority" to bring the most potential of this ship

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I don't get it.

I looked up your stats, and you haven't even played a single game with Saipan yet. I'm assuming you've blocked your stats.

In any case, kindly learn to adapt to the gimmicks most premium ships have. Saipan doesn't need a buff.

Now, are you certain that this magical T7 catapult fighter ate your planes without AA support from nearby ships?

Did you manually drop your dive bombers to increase their accuracy?

Are you aware that T9 planes are not at all invincible?

Are you also aware that secondary batteries on a carrier can only save you from destroyers once in a blue moon?

---

I know I'm shamelessly going ad-hominem with the following statement, but... You're a wallet warrior, aren't you? Almost half of your ships are premium.

Try building up experience with the regular ships first.

Before you go "I paid for this ship, I deserve a buff", remember that purchases are caveat emptor.

783 posts
4,821 battles

3 tier 9 fighters vs 1 tier 7 cruiser launched fighter .. 2 tier nines dead, 3rd one outa ammo to kill 1 plane (and not above the cruiser .. )

8 tier nine divebombers vs tier 5 dd going in straight line, not dodging .. 1 bomb hit (incapacitation no damage) ..

vs RNG ..fail

vs the rebalanced aa .. fail

enemy tier 7 planes almost always have the +10% per level (so 20%) and theres a lot more of them, also a lot more ammo.

no secondaries vs dd

I need free captain upgrades because with 3 plane squadrons I suck ...  does it get better with the extra plane skill? or is she a fickle mistress ?

Is there a playstyle that works better than others?

All RNG actually.

The 3-plane squad is quite balanced against Tier 7s and getting the T5 captain skill lets you rule the sky with no opposition.

I myself want to have a Saipan if I had money to offer more concrete advice, but stick with the 2/2/0 setup due to the RNG nature of the dive bombers. Sure, they have the potential to one-shot DDs, but know that they can also miss every single bomb wasting you more than 2minutes.

Besides, you basically decide engagements with the speed advantage so why are you fighting a catapult fighter? If it's to help your DB squadron bomb, it isn't needed since the DB squadron has a powerful enough rear gunner power to destroy any fighter that decides to mess up its drop.

211 posts
9,931 battles

It's not about its raw power or air dominance but the speed of its squadrons, speed is its strength.

Still a strong CV when played right even without the Air Supremacy captain skill.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

Exactly the point of this ship

You need the tier 5 captain skill "Air  Superiority" to bring the most potential of this ship

Sorry if this sounds rude, but please refrain from giving advice about something you know nothing about. I'm currently training my (level 14) USN CV captain in Saipan and I can say with confidence that Saipan works just fine without Air Supremacy skill.

Most tier 7 cruisers have enough AA power and range to wipe your planes if you fly near them for more than a few seconds. Absolutely stay away from them unless there's no other targets. Unlike Ranger and Hiryu, Saipan has comparatively tiny squadrons and plane reserve. Losing even a single plane is going to hurt.

If you really have to engage something near a cruiser, use your TBs or DBs to check if their Defensive Fire is active by doing a fake autodrop run on them. If your torp/bomb spread is huge back off and try again a few seconds later.

For loadout, I highly recommend using 220. The single DB squadron in 301 is too reliant on RNG, and you can't stagger the fire DoT.

Also, always use strafe. This is very important. Your fighters don't have enough ammo to engage in a dogfight against IJN and especially USN squadrons. Take advantage of your superior speed to get into position to strafe effectively.

By the way, I don't see a Saipan in your profile. Are you playing one in another server?

Edited by CodingSession

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

Sorry if this sounds rude, but please refrain from giving advice about something you know nothing about. I'm currently training my (level 14) USN CV captain in Saipan and I can say with confidence that Saipan works just fine without Air Supremacy skill.

Most tier 7 cruisers have enough AA power and range to wipe your planes if you fly near them for more than a few seconds. Absolutely stay away from them unless there's no other targets. Unlike Ranger and Hiryu, Saipan has comparatively tiny squadrons and plane reserve. Losing even a single plane is going to hurt.

If you really have to engage something near a cruiser, use your TBs or DBs to check if their Defensive Fire is active by doing a fake autodrop run on them. If your torp/bomb spread is huge back off and try again a few seconds later.

For loadout, I highly recommend using 220. The single DB squadron in 301 is too reliant on RNG, and you can't stagger the fire DoT.

Also, always use strafe. This is very important. Your fighters don't have enough ammo to engage in a dogfight against IJN and especially USN squadrons. Take advantage of your superior speed to get into position to strafe effectively.

By the way, I don't see a Saipan in your profile. Are you playing one in another server

​Thanks, this is exactly what I needed ..

I don't get it.

I looked up your stats, and you haven't even played a single game with Saipan yet. I'm assuming you've blocked your stats.

In any case, kindly learn to adapt to the gimmicks most premium ships have. Saipan doesn't need a buff.

Now, are you certain that this magical T7 catapult fighter ate your planes without AA support from nearby ships?

Did you manually drop your dive bombers to increase their accuracy?

Are you aware that T9 planes are not at all invincible?

Are you also aware that secondary batteries on a carrier can only save you from destroyers once in a blue moon?

---

I know I'm shamelessly going ad-hominem with the following statement, but... You're a wallet warrior, aren't you? Almost half of your ships are premium.

Try building up experience with the regular ships first.

Before you go "I paid for this ship, I deserve a buff", remember that purchases are caveat emptor.

I played different ships in beta before the wipe, I really don't see how a regular ship and a prem ship makes any difference to my point, each has its own play method/s. I don't circle enemy AA, I know tier 9s arnt invincible I just pointed out the fact that 3 tier 9s vs 1 tier 7 should not end in a tier 9 loss .. unless the pilots were asleep. 8 bombs on a dd in a straight line with no AA def fire should result in more than 1 hit no damage, as opposed to a dd swerving and close by cruiser AA support ..  my post was asking for advice not buffs or "learn to play.. avoid torps and aim better" responses.

Having zero secondaries is kinda rough even if they don't do a hell of a lot. It is a tier 7 .. are there any sevens with NO AA?

But just to repeat I'm not asking for a buff, just advice on how to use it more effectively.

PS wallet warrior is kinda insulting in the way it is thrown about, people use prems for differing reasons and they help keep this game alive and running. If I ran only credit ships but spent millions in gold on retraining and mods and xp exchange would that get the same insults?  We don't all have 23 hrs a day to grind ships but still want to enjoy different tiers in the game. Just sayin

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

I apologise, my question wasn't clear enough.

If you are a carrier player and use a Saipan, and have found a way to make the Saipan work well, and can share that information along with things to avoid I would appreciate it.

If you are a troll and are going to write along the lines of "aim better" "avoid dds"  or "try getting experience with a different ship first" then please refrain from posting.

that last bit made me laugh so hard, try getting experience in regular ships first .. seriously I could play 1 million matches in a Ranger and still have no success in the Saipan, she is completely different. But maybe you already knew that.

783 posts
4,821 battles

that last bit made me laugh so hard, try getting experience in regular ships first .. seriously I could play 1 million matches in a Ranger and still have no success in the Saipan, she is completely different. But maybe you already knew that.

I'm gonna point out on something in this part and say that the Saipan plays more like a Hiryuu than a Ranger ever will. Other than playing the Saipan herself to get some experience, Hiryu is your next best bet to get something similar enough.

Since CodingSession already covered a lot of spots for Saipan gameplay (other than regular CV gameplay), unless you have a more specific situation to ask, then you are good to go. :P

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I apologise, my question wasn't clear enough.

If you are a carrier player and use a Saipan, and have found a way to make the Saipan work well, and can share that information along with things to avoid I would appreciate it.

If you are a troll and are going to write along the lines of "aim better" "avoid dds"  or "try getting experience with a different ship first" then please refrain from posting.

Alrighty.

Play her like an IJN CV. Stick to 2/2/0.

Use your planes' filthy T9 speed to run away from any source of danger while you use your fighters to buy time rather than trying to dominate the air in a T7+ match where anything that floats is an AA gun.

That's right, you don't aim to suppress the enemy bombers, it's to clear the skies for your own without stretching them too far. Rather than relying on almighty RNG for bomb drops that are likely to fail, you coordinate torpedo strikes like an IJN CV would. 1st squadron forces them to turn or locks them into a direction, 2nd squadron should drop where at least two torpedoes would hit. You can shamelessly use both squadrons in the same vector if you're assaulting BBs who can't/won't turn.

Since everything that floats is essentially a flak installation, you aim at the ones with meager flak installations or clearly look like they've been shelled to the point where you can see cute little crumbs break off from their hull every time they fire their main battery. T9 HP is a lie. You pretend you're still flying biplanes with a speed boost.

You also have stronk fighter guns, but with only a single box of ammo, hence the reason why you shouldn't be so aggressive with your fighters. You fight next to friendly flak batteries as much as possible and avoid flying in straight lines because a single strafe that even just slightly grazes you guarantees that poor Jimmy will die in a ball of flame while leaving Bob and Tom to fight IJN planes 2v4 or heavens-forbid, 2v6.

In short, play more safely. For Jimmy's sake.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Yeh I played the Saipan before I had 5th Captains skill, and got owned by everyone, even tier 6 Ryujo's. My fighters seemed absolutely useless, and that's the ones that survived a strafe attack, which ALL enemy cv's were doing.

Then I got the 5th skill, an extra fighter and bomber per squadron.

Then I started winning, even got 8 wins in a row. DB's got a detonation every 3rd battle, now THAT was funny, blowing up a 100% Cheatland :).

Then I realised I didn't enjoy the Saipan very much so reskilled my Captain for a cruiser and put him into my Atlanta.

Then in 9 battles my Atlanta got detonated 7 times. I suspect they have attempted to modify it's parameters last patch, and they have actually broken it. If anyone notices it and posts about it, it will be the yanks, sorry Americans, on NA forum.

So now I have a great Captain in a broken ship that is not fun to play AT ALL. I shoulda left him in the Saipan. 

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Oh, here's a tip, DO NOT take the +10% performance per tier of difference, your planes are tier 9.....(yeah, whatever:sceptic:). And another tip, your planes don't stand a chance vs tier 9 cv.

331 posts
17,080 battles

There are a few things that I will add.

First  which modules do I use

Aircraft group modifications 1 and 2

Damage control modifications 1 and 2

The captain skills that I use

Expert rear gunner

Torpedo armament expertise

Torpedo acceleration

Aircraft servicing expert.

I don't have 15 points yet but I plan on getting the shill air supremacy

As others have said the fighters are mainly meant for self defense but that doesn't mean you cant shoot down lots of planes.

The first thin on entering any battle with CV is to identify the best tragets.  It depends on how many AA cruisers there are if there are lots of them the best targets are enemy CVs and DDs. the enemy CV should be a high priority under any circumstance.  Most CVs will be taken out with 6 torp hits. DDs are sub optimal targets and the best targets are BBs and CVs.

For tactics I have a few like

counter strafing enemy fighters

pinning down fighters and then strafing

engaging enemy fighters 2 on 1

TBs slight angle drop from inside of a turning BB

This replay illustrates what you need to do to have  good performance vs enemy aircraft.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/8672

unfortunately the results cant be shown atleast till i upload them somewhere else

Edited by Moganite

2 posts
4,297 battles

Keep this in mind when playing the Saipan "Strike fast, Strike Hard, Strike often" - William Halsey.

The Saipan fighters are most effective when strafing, they don't do so well when in a dogfight or lock down. The TP have an interesting spread, when release its wide but as it travel it narrows, so timing is key. The DB are more for DD deterrent just send them out and keep hitting things with it and focus on deterring the other Cv with your fighters.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Air superiority is a must. Like all prem ships, your bottlenecked into getting a particular skill, eg Atlanta 4th skill AFT.

Unless your murmansk, or Mikhail Kutuzov russian stronk.

Sign in to follow this