You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FenrirApalis

I will now complain about USN CA AP

44 comments in this topic

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

You guys probably have seen my last post regarding the Tirpitz's AP. Then I remembered that the USN CA line also have inferior AP damage. THIS sounds completely unreasonable, as USN cruisers at high tiers do not have torpedoes, have inferior range and inferior shell flight time. German CA have good AP but bad HE so Im not going to complain about them. Russians have bad detection range, less AA and a massive citadel, reasonable balanced. But the IJN shells are just way superior, they have the best HE damage, best fire chance, great range, more guns than USN and better shell travel time. But the problem is their AP does more damage than USN cruisers, they also have torpedoes, making IJN shells pretty much superior to everyone else in general (AP and HE combined) I originally planned to ditch the IJN CA line as I wasn't a big fan of spamming HE until tier 10, but now I realised their AP is extremely powerful I think I will resume that line

Yes, the USN does have the complete superiority in AA defence, but the Hindernberg and I believe the Roon too, have the AA power to match their American counter parts while doing better in main battery damage. The lack of CV playersin high tiers also maks the USN AA completely useless. I don't even run defensive AA on my Baltimore anymore, I use hydro and radar as it is just way more useful rightnow.

PLEASE WG, GIVE THE USN CRUISERS THEIR PURPOSE BACK. BUFF THE CARRIERS OR GIVE US BETTER GUNS. My Des Moines will most likely be brought and will stay in port for most of my play time as high tiers just isnt good right now. I am going a bit off topic, but please, give the USN cruisers their purpose back and fix the high tier battles aswell

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,811 battles

USN AP has the best normalization values and the best angles where its' shells do not ricochet.

In contrast, DKM AP has the worst normalization values and the worst ricochet angles.

But I agree... The USN CA line needs help.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

507 posts
9,828 battles

You guys probably have seen my last post regarding the Tirpitz's AP. Then I remembered that the USN CA line also have inferior AP damage. THIS sounds completely unreasonable, as USN cruisers at high tiers do not have torpedoes, have inferior range and inferior shell flight time. German CA have good AP but bad HE so Im not going to complain about them. Russians have bad detection range, less AA and a massive citadel, reasonable balanced. But the IJN shells are just way superior, they have the best HE damage, best fire chance, great range, more guns than USN and better shell travel time. But the problem is their AP does more damage than USN cruisers, they also have torpedoes, making IJN shells pretty much superior to everyone else in general (AP and HE combined) I originally planned to ditch the IJN CA line as I wasn't a big fan of spamming HE until tier 10, but now I realised their AP is extremely powerful I think I will resume that line

Yes, the USN does have the complete superiority in AA defence, but the Hindernberg and I believe the Roon too, have the AA power to match their American counter parts while doing better in main battery damage. The lack of CV playersin high tiers also maks the USN AA completely useless. I don't even run defensive AA on my Baltimore anymore, I use hydro and radar as it is just way more useful rightnow.

PLEASE WG, GIVE THE USN CRUISERS THEIR PURPOSE BACK. BUFF THE CARRIERS OR GIVE US BETTER GUNS. My Des Moines will most likely be brought and will stay in port for most of my play time as high tiers just isnt good right now. I am going a bit off topic, but please, give the USN cruisers their purpose back and fix the high tier battles aswell

Just when i was about to buy the Indianapolis mate..

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

I don't think American CA AP has any problem what so ever. Talking about AP being bad, it's the Japanese CA problem, but anyone who plays IJN CA will certainly use HE because... It burns like napalm. 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

2016-06-02_zps1ylmiclc.png

USN CA AP shells underpowered, you say...?

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Don't know what to say, but seriously what wrong with USN CL/CA AP Shells??? There nothing wrong lol especially clevleand / pepsicola is the best.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Their worse AP Quality make up with their RoF and Superior AA compared to IJN Superior AP quality but worse RoF and AA

and they still can cripple anything at mid to close range

I can't see WG will change this

No guys, Indianapolis have different Shells

"American Armor Piercing" Shells

Edited by Harpoon01

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

Well since my friend last night one shotted a Mogami in his De Moine im still thinking that the US AP is still pretty decent and personally Iv'e never had any problem with the Cleveland's AP which is pretty beastly. Admittedly enough it is fairly difficult to use near their Max ranges due to their fire arcs.

892 posts
7,853 battles

IJN cruiser have slower turret rotation rates and may be citadelled reasonably. I wonder what other "rants" or complaints after this.....

507 posts
9,828 battles

Well since my friend last night one shotted a Mogami in his De Moine im still thinking that the US AP is still pretty decent and personally Iv'e never had any problem with the Cleveland's AP which is pretty beastly. Admittedly enough it is fairly difficult to use near their Max ranges due to their fire arcs.

Yep even i noticed that Cleve's AP pens at harsher angles when compared to the Budyonny's AP. Soviets have better Arcs but the AP on the cleve is still the better one.

Beta Tester
908 posts

I did a 20k ap salvo with the DM yesterday against a yamato at 5km. Using the front 2 guns only. It's good enough for me :)

The DM plays differently to the hinden and Moskva. you need to switch ammo back and forth alot and plan your shots. 

66 posts
11,510 battles

I find our dear community always uses their own personal experience so kindly provide actual fact numbers if you can.

Baltimore has been horrible ever since the start of OBT.

Dmitri Donskoi 9 CA/CL  USSR 2,935 53.66% 47,126 1,422 0.8 2.2 46%
  Ibuki 9 CA/CL  Japan 7,411 50.25% 44,709 1,317 0.7 2.0 43%
  Roon 9 CA/CL  Germany 6,782 49.75% 44,923 1,387 0.7 1.8 43%
  Baltimore 9 CA/CL  USA 10,571 48.78% 32,506 1,338 0.6 2.9 38%

At this point its down to either downtiering New Orleans and Baltimore or giving them insane RoF boosts. Batlimore especially, that poor ship is behind in average damage by well over 12,000. All other cruisers are hovering around the 44,000 - 47,000 mark. Batlimore is at 32,000.

Roon, Donkey and Ibuki are only able to match each other's 44k avg. dmg.

Meanwhile, when you take a look at the T10 numbers, Zao and Moskva, there's about a 16~30% lead in damage numbers between the two flamethrower ships.

(of course, I am just assuming that extra 16~30% is all caused by fire)

Moskva 10 CA/CL USSR 2,037 52.33% 69,308 1,612 0.9 2.0 50%
  Zao 10 CA/CL Japan 6,154 50.50% 76,774 1,815 1.0 2.1 52%
  Hindenburg 10 CA/CL Germany 4,086 49.73% 59,812 1,641 0.8 2.7 41%
  Des Moines 10 CA/CL USA 6,831 49.30% 55,755 1,774 0.9 4.4 37%

6"/47 has crap trajectory and is hard to hit with. 8" mark 19 does asstastic damage. 8" SHS crap trajectory and hard to hit with again. 5"/38, hard to hit with

USN Cruisers are the weakest of the lot now and WG obviously is just way lazy or can't be bothered with making any further changes
And on top on of that USN are suppose to be gun ships and therefore having good guns over other nations.
Other nations all have torps while USN cruisers from tier 6 onwards are without it.

Edited by Jehuty_v2

892 posts
7,853 battles

I did a 20k ap salvo with the DM yesterday against a yamato at 5km. Using the front 2 guns only. It's good enough for me :)

The DM plays differently to the hinden and Moskva. you need to switch ammo back and forth alot and plan your shots. 

​Playing cruisers, I definitely do a lot of shell switching, based on the target type and the target disposition, to maximize damage delivery

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

errrr

Doesnt USN AP is a lot supperior to IJN

I often feel Cleaveland can penetrate angling target better than Furutaka or Budyony.

I think I watch IChase video mention this too, about US AP can pen better at angling target.

in term of penetration I think kLM>USN>RU>IJN were in order

507 posts
9,828 battles

After seeing this, I'm still getting the Indianapolis though..  hahahaha

Haha bought one myself..First ship :D

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i have no problem with USN AP at all. my problem is its high tier ship such as baltimore and des moines completely lack luster compared to other cruiser at its tier.

baltimore lack in fire power but has no significant advantage in survivability at all.

des moines has fast firing gun but has bad shell trajectory and fragile. other tier X cruiser are outperforming her.

507 posts
9,828 battles

I hate WG so much right now. I just bought a ship and they offer Doubloons discount the moment i purchase. Could have gotten a Tirpitz out of it. So unlucky :-(

Edited by petee

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I hate WG so much right now. I just bought a ship and they offer Doubloons discount the moment i purchase. Could have gotten a Tirpitz out of it. So unlucky :-(

i think she's a fine ship. she better armor than pepsicola. my biggest problem with pepsicola is its low armor.

at tier 7 you can encounter tier 5 ship that can easily dealt with. you can encounter tier 9 randomly but i thing she has enough range to engage them safely.

since she has thigh shell grouping, even if she has lower HE damage she will still deal significant damage against battleship or angled targets.

has radar to defend cap (as long as you work with other cruiser  and gun boat)

like what other said already, american ap has good penetration, unlike other that will bounce if the cruiser is bit angled.

i like her better than atlanta who is a very situational ship.

507 posts
9,828 battles

i think she's a fine ship. she better armor than pepsicola. my biggest problem with pepsicola is its low armor.

at tier 7 you can encounter tier 5 ship that can easily dealt with. you can encounter tier 9 randomly but i thing she has enough range to engage them safely.

since she has thigh shell grouping, even if she has lower HE damage she will still deal significant damage against battleship or angled targets.

has radar to defend cap (as long as you work with other cruiser  and gun boat)

like what other said already, american ap has good penetration, unlike other that will bounce if the cruiser is bit angled.

i like her better than atlanta who is a very situational ship.

True dat..But but Tirpitz.........