Sign in to follow this  
petee

Why don't Scout Planes die with the Ship.

49 comments in this topic

507 posts
9,828 battles

I try hard and take out the cruiser in my DD's but it's stupid Fighter is still up in the Air spotting my Torps and myself. Why does it even happen.

It makes no sense why it would be alive after its ship dies.

So many times my plan fails cause of that One plane that should have died.

507 posts
9,828 battles

Do planes in real life fall immediately when their carrier vessel sinks?

Do planes in real life make circles around the dead carcass of their parent ship? Is that what youre getting at?

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Do planes in real life make circles around the dead carcass of their parent ship? Is that what youre getting at?

They probably do.

Just because the ship is in trouble, does not mean the airmen can pack up and leave. 

They still have a job to do: radio positions of survivors, drop essentials to survivors and act as eyes for other ships in the fleet. etc etc

Edited by AntifoulAwl

507 posts
9,828 battles

They probably do.

Just because the ship is in trouble, does not mean the airmen can pack up and leave. 

They still have a job to do: radio positions of survivors, drop essentials to survivors and act as eyes for other ships in the fleet. etc etc

Does any of that Happen in Game? if we start to Question all that the whole thing falls apart pretty fast.

In my dd i pull all the tricks i have to kill a cruiser and then is that what awaits me? A puny plane of the player that left the server. I can agree if its for a small amount of time. But it stays there for minutes questioning all the patience i gave left. 

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

Ha this then brings up why dont the planes drive their plane into your ship rather than fly around?

Its an aspect of the game, you still have to avoid being spotted.

Reminds me to propose a new CV captain skill to drive your planes into enemy ships when down to 10 percent of total remaining planes! :)

1,126 posts

okay okay enough IRL thing =w=

I do agree that a plane that left flying after ship sunk are most annoying for a DD

i questing is....

is it keep fly forever till match end? (if no one shoot it down)

or it keep fly until run out of time 360 sec??? for catapult FT or 60sec for spotter?? I'm can't remember correctly

in case of CV plane, they seem to keep fly forever =w=

507 posts
9,828 battles

Ha this then brings up why dont the planes drive their plane into your ship rather than fly around?

Its an aspect of the game, you still have to avoid being spotted.

Reminds me to propose a new CV captain skill to drive your planes into enemy ships when down to 10 percent of total remaining planes! :)

Its a legit question i asked after numerous encounters i faced with that situation. But you guys are bringing in sarcasm and comparing it to real world where none of that is reflected in-game.

Edit : And as a DD you can't do anything about it expect for High tier USN.

Edited by petee

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Realistic or not, it's clear that OP isn't trying to prove how realistic/un this mechanics is, he's just mad that those planes foiled his torpedo game.

I get his feeling, it happened to me too. However, whether is it necessary to make changes so that planes die immediately when carrier sinks will be decided by WG, they are in charge. This isn't the only thing about DD vs CV, since CV perma-spotting DD and torps with planes is an issue too, more so than above. And yet what did WG do? nothing just yet.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I try hard and take out the cruiser in my DD's but it's stupid Fighter is still up in the Air spotting my Torps and myself. Why does it even happen.

It makes no sense why it would be alive after its ship dies.

So many times my plan fails cause of that One plane that should have died.

Since it's flying over you, why don't you shoot it down yourself instead of arguing "it make no sense" stuff?

I find you lack of response/initiative to such situation that is easy to resolve. Because it's only ONE scout plane/seaplane fighter flying over you, unlike a fighter squadron which took longer time to kill 4 or 6 planes.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Does any of that Happen in Game? if we start to Question all that the whole thing falls apart pretty fast.

In my dd i pull all the tricks i have to kill a cruiser and then is that what awaits me? A puny plane of the player that left the server. I can agree if its for a small amount of time. But it stays there for minutes questioning all the patience i gave left. 

I said what i said because you asked what happens IRL, and i answered what may happen in IRL.

I do sympathize with your situation in a DD. I hate it too when  lone plane flies around, seemingly robotlike. As Mingy said, shoot it down if your able, its an easy target.

But at least you know the plane is there,and they are predictable, just avoid him.

507 posts
9,828 battles

Since it's flying over you, why don't you shoot it down yourself instead of arguing "it make no sense" stuff?

I find you lack of response/initiative to such situation that is easy to resolve. Because it's only ONE scout plane/seaplane fighter flying over you, unlike a fighter squadron which took longer time to kill 4 or 6 planes.

Personal Attack, Content Removed ~tc1259 I specifically said its hard to shoot down planes in other dd's except USN. in my Gearing i can simply pop my defensive fire or with my AA as well.

What about IJN dd's huh? With their small range and DPM it takes some time to down that plane. But i reckon your lack of experience playing the DD's makes you believe that we got that much time to wait and kill that plane.You're wrong my friend. By that time i'm either dead or too low to make an impact on the game.

Its like having a freakin Radar over you're head. That is broken IMHO.

Edited by tc1259

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Deal with it.

No, seriously.

What other use would catapult fighters have in a CV-less match? Scouting for planes and torpedoes.

Just treat the thing like a torpedo that was launched right before its mothership sunk. Heck, even with 127mm IJN DP guns, you can down single fighters quickly. Charging in blindly at a spot where a cruiser died is just perfect for getting yourself spotted. If you could see the plane circle around the ship right before its destruction, it's a player-error to go in there and not expect to be detected.

1,162 posts

I do agree that a plane that left flying after ship sunk are most annoying for a DD

i questing is....

or it keep fly until run out of time 360 sec??? for catapult FT or 60sec for spotter?? I'm can't remember correctly

I think CL/CA/BB Spotter/FT planes are actually lands when their time's up, because I saw a FT lands on water.

As for CV, they seems to fly forever since they dont have time limits mechanics like other catapult-launched planes.

Just a guess lawl

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Wow your lack of ignorance baffles me plus the fact that i haven't tried to shoot down the plane. I specifically said its hard to shoot down planes in other dd's except USN. in my Gearing i can simply pop my defensive fire or with my AA as well.

What about IJN dd's huh? With their small range and DPM it takes some time to down that plane. But i reckon your lack of experience playing the DD's makes you believe that we got that much time to wait and kill that plane.You're wrong my friend. By that time i'm either dead or too low to make an impact on the game.

Its like having a freakin Radar over you're head. That is broken IMHO.

Your main gun in JP DD can act like AA gun, it's 5km AA range (so what short AA range? 127mm gun has better range!!). Like 20~40 seconds too long for you in JP DD to shot down a single scout/fighter plane? That's quite ok~ish for me to shot down on my Hatsuharu, comparing to Farragut is much faster because 5 x single dual-purpose main gun.

Only issue I have concerning that is on RU DD, because a 1.5 km gap between my AA & detection by air.

75 posts
3,402 battles

i questing is....

Unless I am mistaken  -CV planes return to where the CV sank. They circle until their fuel (time) runs out and then drop into the ocean.

The answer is simple - click P and turn your AA on......... I do when the CV is dead  -easy circling planes

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Unless I am mistaken  -CV planes return to where the CV sank. They circle until their fuel (time) runs out and then drop into the ocean.

The answer is simple - click P and turn your AA on......... I do when the CV is dead  -easy circling planes

Be a bit wary though. Get too close to loaded bombers, and you get auto-dropped even after the CV's dead. Same goes for planes getting close to shipless fighter groups.

75 posts
3,402 battles

Be a bit wary though. Get too close to loaded bombers, and you get auto-dropped even after the CV's dead. Same goes for planes getting close to shipless fighter groups.

noted with thanks - I have always assumed that the CV Captain had at least used his air on the enemy.

Then again many CV Captains are pretty useless lol

ps - I sold my only CV 1 day after purchase  -I was crap at it lolz

507 posts
9,828 battles

Deal with it.

No, seriously.

What other use would catapult fighters have in a CV-less match? Scouting for planes and torpedoes.

Just treat the thing like a torpedo that was launched right before its mothership sunk. Heck, even with 127mm IJN DP guns, you can down single fighters quickly. Charging in blindly at a spot where a cruiser died is just perfect for getting yourself spotted. If you could see the plane circle around the ship right before its destruction, it's a player-error to go in there and not expect to be detected.

Why the hell does everyone assume i blindly go in to a place where i WANT to be spotted by a Scout plane. I'm not a dumb dd captain neither a noob playing WOWS for the first time.

the scout plane stays at 4 kms to the ship and my detection would be from 2,9 kms to 3.5. So that gives me the buffer of 6 kms to 7.5 kms considering the planes circles around.

Plus you all think there will be no ships around to shoot me or what?? If i'm detected for 15 s by that plane it is enough to KILL ME~

Consider this which actually happen (If you dont believe then it CAN happen)

In my kamikaze which has 7 kms torps and 5,4 detetion i usually charge at around 6 ish kms and drop torps. I ambush an Indianapolis and kill it but he has friendlies that are about 8 to 9 kms away.I lose half my HP killing that Indiana(Cause Radar Damn) and i sail normally as i can and outta no where i'm detected by that stupid little plane and low and behold everyone of them shoots at me.

I know its situation specific but it is annoying as hell cause you did have the skill to take down a cruiser or a BB but its plane still Haunts you for a long time.

"And i'm not against scout planes. Only the One's that don't die after a prolonged period of time."

189 posts
4,857 battles

Looks like you don't understand the point. So I can explain.

As the other guys have said, your mothership is down but you still have fuel, you are to stay in air and spot enemies and torpedoes for your allies

• First point: Why suicide when you can still stay airborne?
  • Second point: Why suicide when you are helping the team?

​As a World of Warships player since OBT this is what I've learnt

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Sail away from said scout plane. I play DD alot (you can check) I never had a problem with dead ship's planes flying around, you just have drive away from it, it isnt hard. If you are still staying near a dead cruiser while it still has its plane out is.................... :amazed:

507 posts
9,828 battles

There is no freakin way of knowing if the scout plane was still up when he died or not!!!!! Unless you're there and its too late sometimes to pull out.

they are spotted at around 5 kms i believe.

What i mean is reduce the time for which the scout plane stays up. Currently its too much and keeping away from the plane is desperate situations is not ideal. Again i want to stress how situation specific this is.

Edit : Found the time the plane stays in the Air is for 3 minutes or either their original time which can be upto 6 mins! . For a whole squad of planes of 4 or 5 or 6 this seems "Acceptable".But for a single planes..."MEH"

Edited by petee

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Edit : Found the time the plane stays in the Air is for 3 minutes or either their original time which can be upto 6 mins! . For a whole squad of planes of 4 or 5 or 6 this seems "Acceptable".But for a single planes..."MEH"

What, didn't know the cruiser trick where you launch your catapult fighter right before you die to give your team a free scout for several minutes?

I know me and my friends do exactly that for passive detection.

1,126 posts

come to think of it....... it's okay for plane to keep flying....

I mean... imagine if someone ask..."why torpedoes keep on going even after that DD were sunk??"

it's same reason why plane keep flying right?

if plane die immediately after ship sunk

to compensate that, torpedoes, shell would also disappear after ship sunk too.... well, I don't want that >_<

'It's just a flesh wound' is LOL for a DD right? heh heh heh

Edited by PGM991