Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Training

5 comments in this topic

159 posts
3,388 battles

Hi everyone,

I wanted to touch on this again as I believe this idea genuinely has legs, and it would be hugely beneficial to new and used players alike.

We have all at some point watched the training videos and youtube videos from some very talented players who are dishing out all kinds of hurt. You can watch those over and over but unless you have hands on experience, and 1000+ games under your belt, it's pretty hard to replicate. 

I want to put forward the idea of a training function. In the same menu as the co-op/ random battle menu, that will put the beginner/intermediate and advanced players through their paces and teach them the basics and nuances of the game so they don't become seals under a club. If you have ever played other games over the years (especially military ones), there are almost always hands on training available should you want it. I'm not suggesting this be compulsory, but just available to use if you want it. 

Beginner training would be basic firing, tactics and evasion that are skills essential to good game play, and scenarios to play that puts that training into practice. There would be sub categories for each ship class of course.

Intermediate training would be for more advanced techniques like CV operation, armour angling, stealth etc. Again with scenarios that you can choose to play that put you in that respective situation. For example a 1 on 1 BB battle where you must sink the other using armour angling to your advantage etc. 

Advanced training can be things like working as a team, and using your ships strengths to the fullest while minimizing their shortcomings. And you could practice scenarios like the previous levels but with much harder parameters like a BB battle where it is you vs 2 BB's or something similar. 

I suggest this because I really struggled at the beginning and it was only my interest in the game's subject that kept me in it. And hands on training would have been enormously useful. Also, you read many posts about higher tier gamers complaining about other peoples skill levels and making basic errors in high tier battles- which something like this would help fix.

Also, playing training scenarios would put you in certain ships which would help you decide which tech trees you would want to climb.

Again, I strongly suggest this is optional and not compulsory, and in terms of rewards for completing training scenarios- there'd be none. The knowledge and experience learned from those battles should be reward enough.

I don't see any obvious negative impact something like this would have on the overall game, but after being clubbed like a baby seal in nearly every battle for the first couple of months, hands on practice was desperately needed. 

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I don't know about you, but I got my first Kraken within 600 battles in my first three months. The only videos I ever watched were CVs because the in-game video tutorial for them was nonexistent and/or removed.

Your idea is fine, but people are materialistic in video games. If there's no solid reward, no one would ever do it. Consider giving players signal flags as an incentive for completing each training stage.

---

Now the more technical problem.

How would you place players in a scenario that would fully show the importance of following the training course? Would they need to care about how the enemy angles their armor if they fire HE all the way? How would you place a prospective CV player in a situation that warrants the need for CVs in an environment full of bots?

159 posts
3,388 battles

I don't know about you, but I got my first Kraken within 600 battles in my first three months. The only videos I ever watched were CVs because the in-game video tutorial for them was nonexistent and/or removed.

Your idea is fine, but people are materialistic in video games. If there's no solid reward, no one would ever do it. Consider giving players signal flags as an incentive for completing each training stage.

---

Now the more technical problem.

How would you place players in a scenario that would fully show the importance of following the training course? Would they need to care about how the enemy angles their armor if they fire HE all the way? How would you place a prospective CV player in a situation that warrants the need for CVs in an environment full of bots?

Yeah I'd now have to agree with you about having a materialistic reward. I would have personally done it for the knowledge and experience, but that's probably more the exception than the rule.

The purpose of training is so you are able to make the right decisions and be flexible during a battle, and use the strengths of your chosen ship to it's fullest advantage in order to win and survive. What you mentioned there could easily be another training scenario, as all I have previously mentioned are just ideas off the top of my head that could be useful and to provide an illustration into what I'm thinking.

In regards to CV players, if a player is willing to get to grips with all the ins and outs of CV play, then it's warranted regardless of whether its against bots or not. And learning as you go in a random or cop op battle means that others are depending on you- and that is a whole lot of extra pressure to deal with when you're still learning which is quite off putting- and that's the reason I've barely touched CV's. 

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In regards to CV players, if a player is willing to get to grips with all the ins and outs of CV play, then it's warranted regardless of whether its against bots or not. And learning as you go in a random or cop op battle means that others are depending on you- and that is a whole lot of extra pressure to deal with when you're still learning which is quite off putting- and that's the reason I've barely touched CV's. 

Take the stress-free way out: PvE.

In the very least, you can get acquainted with the controls. Once you're used to them, you then practice in random battles. PvE is almost-stress free because the bots are very predictable and even if you fail, the entire team can still carry on.

None of the unicum-ranked players were pros when they began the game. They got good because they wanted to get good.

Practice is different from theory. You may know the answers, but knowing how and when to execute it is based on raw experience. Enemy CA running away while wiggling its broadside to fire a full salvo every now and then? Experience gives you a rough idea of how long the reload will be and how fast/slow his hull traverse is so that you can compensate for your shots- Of which also has unique speeds and trajectories.

Sign in to follow this