Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SZYZWY

Strike Ranger blues and 0.5.6

5 comments in this topic

783 posts
4,824 battles

With the recent patch and qualms on CVs in general and overall opinion of strike CVs, I'll just give my take.

Also, let me flaunt my own game/stats just this time since I don't get the chance to do so often. :hiding:

bUsSqRs.jpg

~90k Damage

While being bottom tier:

uIzjIik.jpg

And it is at a point where the enemy CV chased my planes rather than defend the fleet.

Point I'm trying to make here is that a CV can still have a substantial effect even when the matchup isn't in his/her favor, even against a whole lot of AA. There was not a lot of targets in this game that were of the same tier and even then, they were still healthy by the end(Myoko). Not to mention, I don't have TA so I didn't even dare to Torp the DDs as they'd just escape/dodge. Also, showed this team score page just to show that the 90k damage wasn't farmed off from just 1 or 2 BBs since CV EXP multiplier is way less, and the exp wouldn't reach that if only BBs were hit.

Now, playing the Ranger in a Strike Loadout presents a lot of problems. So I'll say this in advance to those who wish to try it. It helps a whole lot to be in a division with a cruiser. I can't count the many times the enemy Hiryuu tried to snipe me due to having no fighters. Sometimes they succeeded, sometimes they failed, sometimes a helpful ally will give me AA support and sometimes I just get told "Ha, Serves you right!" from an ally cruiser or battleship. Damage however is quite great, nothing stopping you from providing scouting intel too. Misconception being that without fighters, a CV won't scout. Sure AS CVs can shut you down, but there will always be ways to get a strike in depending on the situation.

To strengthen my point, here's Two Recent games.

The first one being outplaying the enemy CV and the second one just sniping the enemy CV outright. Both Enemies being Hiryuus.

Game 1: "Witherer is what Ranger does best"

1oFt56l.jpg

Game 2: "Artificially doing Double Strike"

ATyY7hP.jpg

I hope I wasn't too obnoxious with this and please understand I just want to make a point. Sorry for taking your time and thanks for reading. See you in randoms. :P

(I also wanted to vent out a little due to the unsatisfactory games I had since this patch which I just recently made up for)

359 posts
2,819 battles

I have a belief that when someone post their "good game" on CV. It begin with CV snipe lol

Did you sniped that Hiryu? He should not gain that less.

Ha, Serves you right!

lol. They got a point but CV doesn't have much choice, especially in a Ranger.

Scout in strike is possible, I once keep a db over a Minekaze till he's killed (some minutes). I even apologize in chat..don't know if he think i'm sincere. Enemy FT never came.

Talking about scout, I once has team complain

1 damm those invis dd.

I do nothing lol. Don't have the idea what I suppose to do.

then they ask for spotting which I gladly do but we lose anyway. That DD run his course too long.

The only time I run AS I feel I rest my fate entirely on my team. That time the team cap 3 bases and we quickly win. They would anyway if I'm not there lol.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

783 posts
4,824 battles

I have a belief that when someone post their "good game" on CV. It begin with CV snipe lol

Did you sniped that Hiryu? He should not gain that less.

I only sniped in the last game. It just so happened the CV spawned a little up front so it was a golden opportunity. I don't snipe if it's not favorable as a CV player since most of the time it ends up being a waste of time which I could of used to turn the early engagements in our favor. The Hiryu was still alive in the first game as seen in the team score. It also just so happened he was hell bent on chasing my bombers to the ends of the map while my other planes bomb away. And being bottom tier in that match took its toll on his strike power, resulting in the low gains.

359 posts
2,819 battles

Welp I did not pay attention enough. He is indeed alive and 500xp is not that low. I remember 200 xp when I did not make a good run before game end by points.

I just watch a certain replay from wowsreplay. The player Hiryu snipe enemy AS Ranger early enough. The Hiryu did not do everything right but the Ranger misplayed more. I got bored and stop watching because 10 minutes in only run he made is the snipe. It certainly take your time out of the match.

I'd snipe if the enemy is also strike and he threaten me and I can win air war (say hi to strike Ranger.)

Are strike happen a lot? Especially in tier 7. 25%, 30%, half the time?

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Sign in to follow this