Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moggytwo

The Smith - surprisingly fun

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,753 battles

I bought the Smith and Tachibana yesterday to see how they played, and although I didn't like the Tachibana much (my fault more than the ships I think, haven't quite worked out it's optimal playstyle yet), I have to admit I really like the Smith.

It has a few interesting quirks while otherwise being a surprisingly typical US DD. It has five guns (76mm - you can only fire four at once) with a base 3.5s reload and an arc that feels almost identical to the 127mm/38 that any mid-high tier US DD captain will no doubt have come to grips with. It's not very fast, but is quite maneouvreable, has average concealment for it's tier (5.6km with camo) and poor to average health of 7300.

So any US DD captain will feel quite at home in it. The interesting things are the quirks to this boat, that really lifts it into the fun category.  The first is obvious - it has three single mount torp launchers with an 11s reload and 4.5km range.  You'll only be able to fire two of those at once though.  These launchers are hilarious fun.  The arcs are exceptional - I doubt there is a ship in the game with better arcs and you can even stealth torp if you are being chased. The torp speed is very good for the tier as well with 54kts. Most of your torps will miss but the sheer volume and constant nature of the torps will mean that if you are being chased the enemy ship will be doing nothing but dodging torps - they literally won't get a break. Inevitably one or more will hit. I can only guess at how frustrating this is for the opposing ship.

The other quirk that isn't so noticeable at first is that the three centreline guns can spin 360. What this means is that you never have to wait for your guns to spin 180-270 around the front or back before you can use them - that are simply always pointing at the target. It's absolutely amazing to be advancing or retreating with all your guns firing off your quarter and then switching to your opposite quarter and having the guns instantly ready to go. The firing angles are very generous too. The guns are great, and this just makes them exceptional.

I've been using my 16pt Benson captain with the Smith and the extra health, lower concealment of 5.0km and faster fire rate (3.1s) really help this ship.

In short, it's a gunboat but with hilarious torps, and no significant weakness, that is a very typical US DD despite being tier 2. If you love your US DD's you'll very much enjoy this ship.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I have to agree with the OP. The smith on its tier or up one can take out many a ship. The turret rotation and gun fire is good and firing off two single torps every 7 seconds is a laugh when you sail around a BB that can't fire at you. 

Well worth the purchase! 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

I buy her but after try playing her it been a bad experience.

First i buy her hoping to train my commander more faster (the 1,3x) but using this ship with 7 point commander is hard.

I realize her potential but you need a 15 point commander for her

507 posts
9,826 battles

How is the XP Earned? I wanna use it to Train my Gearing since i lost my fletcher commander.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

shameless plug

quick vid I did on the Smith to give players an idea on the ship. And yes, I like it, very much recommend getting one

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

so i use HE to rain fire any enemy ship...

spam torp whenever i can

keep turning because the gun can rotate 360* but i keep getting low exp...

is xp we get on tier 2 is that bad? i often only gt 1.000 or 800 only when winning

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

i wanted to buy low tier premium ship. because lately, tier VII and up games are too stressful. oh well there is still murmanks.

i use Isokaze (cuz low tier BB love torpedoes) and Gearing (tear Shimakaze apart is surprisingly fun) as stress relive ship :D:D:D 

in my opinion Murmansk kinda fun until u get citadel :sceptic:

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i use Isokaze (cuz low tier BB love torpedoes) and Gearing (tear Shimakaze apart is surprisingly fun) as stress relive ship :D:D:D 

planning to buy premium account to grind fletcher (she cant do much without her torpedoes) and some ship doubloon for ship slot to re buy mid tier ship like cleveland...

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

planning to buy premium account to grind fletcher (she cant do much without her torpedoes)

Best DD atm better grind it :D:D:D

re buy mid tier ship like cleveland...

You dont re-buy Cleveland you grind Budyonny :trollface:

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Best DD atm better grind it :D:D:D

she's my favorite DD even back in CBT

You dont re-buy Cleveland you grind Budyonny :trollface:

already have her, her fire starting capabilities are so good even without demolition expert, manage to burn bb from bow to stern without prolem. looking forward to have demolition expert on her. :trollface:

aWdi97S.jpg

Sign in to follow this