You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IronGuard

[IMPORTANT] Actions Against Exploitation of Client Mods & Cheats

20 comments in this topic

72 posts
12 battles

Good day, Commanders.

Please take a moment to read this message, it’s actually quite important!

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve taken another step in our struggle against unwanted exploiting of our game mechanics through client modifications and outright cheats. From today onwards, it might happen that a player you meet in battle will have his name written in the color brown. Those brown-colored players have been identified by us as using forbidden modifications, including aim assist mods.

Making those cheaters visible to the community is one of three punishment layers. Players caught cheating by our system will turn to brown for a period between 24 and 48 hours and receive an email to the address linked to their game account. As long as a player is brown ALL of his damage, dealt both to allies and enemies, will be fully mirrored onto his ship (he will receive the same amount of damage as he deals). At the end of the brown color period, such a player will be banned from the game for 7 days. 

After this punishment is over, a cheater will be unbanned and receive amnesty. However, should a player be caught by the system a second time, the game ban applied to his account will become permanent.

Please don’t ask us about the details of the system’s operation – we won’t tell. 

At this point, we would like to remind users that cheating is not cool . Verbal abuse in or outside the game is also not looked kindly upon. If you see a brown-colored player make sure to tell them they are not cool in a polite way, both in chat and on the forums. At the same time, if you’ve been using such modifications please stop now, before we turn you to brown colored too!

If you encounter any issues you think are related to the operation of this system, please visit our Support Center!

Action Stations!

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

It is a shame it had to come to this, but some people just won't learn....  But now they have to.

But I'm glad this has happened, and it's good that it's happened early on in the life of the game.

Bravo!!

Who else is waiting to see a brownie?

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

thanks for the actions..

the Brown colored player shold stop shooting other ship and just try to ram them.. :D

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Although I think this is the right step for WG to detect players using hacks and stuff, but as a player, I think this punishment not fair for the team in which the "Brown Player" is in. They will be short of 1 player since that player will most likely die early from mirror damage or just outright AFK in the game itself as there is no benefit of him being in the game at all.

Why can't the system outright stop him from entering battle at all, or make it so he can only join Co-Op battles only.

Edited by Windforce

590 posts
2,995 battles

Just as a friendly reminder to all players

If you are in a game with a brown player, don't insult these players either, you never know who's in the game. If you break the rules and we the mod's need to we will still sanction those breaking the rules :)

124 posts

Although I think this is the right step for WG to detect players using hacks and stuff, but as a player, I think this punishment not fair for the team in which the "Brown Player" is in. They will be short of 1 player since that player will most likely die early from mirror damage or just outright AFK in the game itself as there is no benefit of him being in the game at all.

Why can't the system outright stop him from entering battle at all, or make it so he can only join Co-Op battles only.

I agree. Whichever team end up with these brownies are basically being punished as well. I hope WG can tell us more or think this through if they somehow missed this.

I wouldn't even bother to say anything if I see these brownies. Anonymity afforded these anti-socials being anti-socials. As long as they have the anonymity, they can only be stopped when they're caught but will not reflect on their actions. They'll either move on (to other games) or try harder to have their way again. Unless they really love WoWS.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Right. So how useful would a brown player be to his/her team other than bait?

I appreciate the whole shaming scheme, but it's not exactly too helpful when you get matched with one of these guys.

331 posts
17,087 battles

Ok then I applaud this initiative.

They would be only useful as bait as I would love to sink these floaters and send them to the sea floor. If they were on my team they can be my meat shield.

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

We have Cancer Awareness before and right now....Diarrhea Awareness?

Edited by war4sure

10 posts
11,531 battles

Just a suggestion, why don't the program perform a checksum on the spec of ship and action subroutine before loading the actual program. Any different in checksum mean it has been modifies or mod. This just an my idea and may be difficult to implement. Some program do that after download it. I have  experience why some players have so good aim even when they are at maximum range. Another is how do they spot us eg CA when they are so far away

I know they can use spotter plane but still have to able to see us to shoot us.

Edited by Desert_Fox_2014

590 posts
2,995 battles

Due to some comments more around the suggestions and discussions on what might be better than what's been implemented, i've separated that conversation and moved it here

~tc1259