You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TE_Deathskyz

Illegal mod users banned (NA)

57 comments in this topic

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/80553-illegal-mods-and-consequences/

Good day, Commanders,

Please take a moment to read this message, it’s actually quite important!

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve taken another step in our struggle against unwanted exploiting of our game mechanics through client modifications and outright cheats. A group of players was banned earlier today. These players have been identified by us as using forbidden modifications, including aim assist mods.

These players have been banned for 7 days. After this punishment is over, they will be unbanned and receive amnesty. However, should a player be caught by the system a second time, the game ban applied to his/her account will be permanent.

Please don’t ask us about the details of the system’s operation – we won’t tell!

At this point, we would like to remind everyone that cheating sucks. Cheating only makes someone appear to be good at the game, it doesn't actually make them good at the game, and it lessens everyone else's enjoyment. If you’ve been using such modifications and were not caught this time, or have been considering using them, please stop now. You will end up losing your account entirely by continuing to use these.

I also want to stress that we are now and will continue to take steps to improve gameplay and fairness for everyone. I know some folks disagreed with the TK bans. I know some folks will also disagree with these bans.

BUT - The majority of our players have expressed disappointment that we have not taken action against these blatant offenses in the past. We wish to work towards improving that, and NOT disappointing our players in this manner. I don't think what we are asking is unreasonable. We're simply asking that you do not take actions that inherently cause other players to be unhappy. Everyone has the right to play a game without another player ruining their experience.

Please feel free to ask questions or give feedback in this thread. If you have been affected by this or the TK ban, and don't feel that it has adequately been explained to you, please send a support ticket. Feel free to even mark my name on it, and I will instruct the other folks in support to send them to me, if they have my name on them. Most of you know that I've been around awhile, and I think of myself as pretty fair and pretty responsive to the needs of the community. If you feel that you got the short end of the stick, I am happy to look in detail at it, to ensure it was done correctly.

Action Stations!

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

What "illegal mods" are bannable other than aim assist?

Not that this matters to me; I always play multiplayer games 100% vanilla. I'm just curious.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

What "illegal mods" are bannable other than aim assist?

Not that this matters to me; I always play multiplayer games 100% vanilla. I'm just curious.

Apparently any aim assist or lead calculator of any sort.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

If the moderator over there is this savvy, I could only imagine the player base of the NA server.

---

If would be quite helpful to know which mods are actually blacklisted.

The mod that shows which angle the enemy ship is currently moving?

The mod that shows the effective area of smoke?

The mod that shows whether the enemy ship is moving forward, stationary or reversing?

Crosshair mods that have guidelines on how to aim?

Saying "Illegal mods are banned" without even giving a list of what exactly constitutes a ban is a logical fallacy. Aim-assist? Yeah, the four mods I listed earlier also 'Assist with aiming'. Oh, do you refer to aimbots that do the aiming for you? Oh gee, I didn't know that~

Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't list those mods down because people can just google-search those mods and take them for themselves, or show that there are weaknesses in their coding.

---

Seriously, this could all be scaled down if all mods needed the WG Stamp of Approval before being published/usable in the server. Categorizing mods and giving them IDs would allow WG to control which mods enter the game.

New mod? Is it on the whitelist? No? Can't use it, mate.

Registered mod giving you trouble? Remove it from the whitelist.

Edited by Stein_Grenadier

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

If the moderator over there is this savvy, I could only imagine the player base of the NA server.

---

If would be quite helpful to know which mods are actually blacklisted.

The mod that shows which angle the enemy ship is currently moving?

The mod that shows the effective area of smoke?

The mod that shows whether the enemy ship is moving forward, stationary or reversing?

Crosshair mods that have guidelines on how to aim?

Saying "Illegal mods are banned" without even giving a list of what exactly constitutes a ban is a logical fallacy. Aim-assist? Yeah, the four mods I listed earlier also 'Assist with aiming'. Oh, do you refer to aimbots that do the aiming for you? Oh gee, I didn't know that~

Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't list those mods down because people can just google-search those mods and take them for themselves, or show that there are weaknesses in their coding.

---

Seriously, this could all be scaled down if all mods needed the WG Stamp of Approval before being published/usable in the server. Categorizing mods and giving them IDs would allow WG to control which mods enter the game.

New mod? Is it on the whitelist? No? Can't use it, mate.

Registered mod giving you trouble? Remove it from the whitelist.

You could go to the NA Forums and ask.

Well I can tell you for certain that anything that includes an aim assist mod is on the list. If it has other components and you want to tell me that "I've disabled that part, I swear" I don't want to hear it. I play all WG games with zero mods (possibly because I come from console where they aren't possible) but there is nothing SO CRUCIAL in your life that you must use an illegal mod to get it. Hell, if there is part of an illegal package that you want, like some crosshair thing, post on the forums asking for someone to provide it without the other parts that are illegal. Pretty sure someone can hook you up.

Update. Aslains Modpacks are:

Aslains modpack is safe right o.O

I believe everything is Aslains is cool (folks please correct me if I am wrong!). We are absolutely not here to trick you by not telling what is illegal and then banning you. If you are unsure about something, please send us an inquiry and we will let you know for sure.

I promise that my goal is not to just ban folks! We only want to prevent people from deliberately using things that are outright cheats. If you are unsure about a mod, send a ticket. You can mark my name on it, if you like, We will get back to you with a concrete answer. We're not trying to surprise you and ban you. We only want to change the behavior of those who are using a program that is totally unfair - we don't want to get rid of players who are unsure!

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Not the point, mate.

My point is: The guy's being obscure about what constitutes an 'illegal' mod. Did the guy give any identifiers other than "It assists with aiming"? No. The smoke-ring mod? Made by a WG developer. Does that make it illegal? It was made by an employee, after all.

I mean, compare it to games that actually give you identifiers for those who cheat their way to victory using mods. They give these cute little outlines that tell you "Mods that do x and y are illegal. This is bad, don't use it unless you want a ban".

Now, something as obscure as 'Aim-Assist' won't get anyone anywhere because practically any UI mod would 'assist' with aiming.

What WG needs is a giant "Pls dun do dis or u get ban okok?" List.

Things like:

-Mods that actively show the enemy ship's orientation: Banned

-Mods that display the effective detection range of enemy guns: Banned

Because hell, if the community is left to its own devices without some sort of rough guidelines other than "Illegal mods", it will mod the living crap out of it until it's practically another game.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

That's good. Guess cosmetic/skin mods are out of scope because I still use the controversial JP navy flag :P

I use the historical flag mod. Historical IJN and Kreigsmarine Ensign so..

Definitely wont be in vanilla client.

Not the point, mate.

My point is: The guy's being obscure about what constitutes an 'illegal' mod. Did the guy give any identifiers other than "It assists with aiming"? No. The smoke-ring mod? Made by a WG developer. Does that make it illegal? It was made by an employee, after all.

I mean, compare it to games that actually give you identifiers for those who cheat their way to victory using mods. They give these cute little outlines that tell you "Mods that do x and y are illegal. This is bad, don't use it unless you want a ban".

Now, something as obscure as 'Aim-Assist' won't get anyone anywhere because practically any UI mod would 'assist' with aiming.

Things like:

Because hell, if the community is left to its own devices without some sort of rough guidelines other than "Illegal mods", it will mod the living crap out of it until it's practically another game.

Look. I can't give you the answer you want because I don't have it.

It's better if you ask the guy yourself. He definitely will have what you are looking for.

If you are unsure about something, please send us an inquiry and we will let you know for sure.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

1,162 posts

Other that aim assist mods, is there any chance out there is a mod that lets you see every ship even behind an island? Because I once got shot behind an island and SA skill indicator is not triggered. Just wondering if that's possible.

334 posts
13,028 battles

"-Mods that display the effective detection range of enemy guns: Banned"

Something like that is in the new mini map in the PT

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

Other that aim assist mods, is there any chance out there is a mod that lets you see every ship even behind an island? Because I once got shot behind an island and SA skill indicator is not triggered. Just wondering if that's possible.

I dont think so... I know a zoom out mod exists but its still centered on your ship.

334 posts
13,028 battles

Yeah sounds familiar only happened once so far so can't be sure it wasn't a glitch

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Radar

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I dont think so... I know a zoom out mod exists but its still centered on your ship.

Zoom-out, zoom-in, FoV boosts, etc.

Look. I can't give you the answer you want because I don't have it.

It's better if you ask the guy yourself. He definitely will have what you are looking for.

I'm hoping some random mod stumbles upon this thread and actually considers it- I mean, they're supposed to be unanimous in forum and in-game rules regardless of server location.

I use the historical flag mod. Historical IJN and Kreigsmarine Ensign so..

Definitely wont be in vanilla client.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

1,162 posts

Radar

Well, its a T6 match I not sure if anyone have Radar. Plus I have cease fire for 1 minute.

Maybe I should take closer at the replays.

Could be a bug in SA.

Recently its been a little buggy.

Hmm... Maybe yeah, just a bit of possibility.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

probably.. some1 shoot u when u got detected before u pass the island. and the shellis land when u are behind the island

and if some ship has the ability to shoot like that due the high trajectory shell (but slow travel)[uSN any1?]

when SA turn off. the player will blind of you.

but the shell that already in the air is NOT. 

"-Mods that display the effective detection range of enemy guns: Banned"

Something like that is in the new mini map in the PT

that minimap only has :

main gun effective range  of YOUR OWN ship..

torpedo effective range of YOUR OWN ship..

as those mod that print the number on ship icon that contain maingun/torp range...

remember.. its is printed as picture..

if u mount different kind of module.. it will not follow ur stat. since its a PICTURE.

216 posts
2,239 battles

that minimap only has :

main gun effective range  of YOUR OWN ship..

torpedo effective range of YOUR OWN ship..

as those mod that print the number on ship icon that contain maingun/torp range...

remember.. its is printed as picture..

if u mount different kind of module.. it will not follow ur stat. since its a PICTURE.

He wasn't talking about the current mini map, the mini map on the 0.5.6 PT (Public Test) server is implementing surface and air detection ranges same as the mod did. So now everyone that wanted to cry and scream that this mod was unfair and a cheat can use it too, even though it was never stated it was illegal by WG and anyone was free to use it as long as they took the time to install it using Alain's mod pack.

1,162 posts

probably.. some1 shoot u when u got detected before u pass the island. and the shellis land when u are behind the island

and if some ship has the ability to shoot like that due the high trajectory shell (but slow travel)[uSN any1?]

when SA turn off. the player will blind of you.

but the shell that already in the air is NOT. 

The problem is the one who shoots me is BB and he got 2 full salvo on me. So I doubt myself, maybe he blind fire too but I dont know.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Not the point, mate.

Things like:

Game mods are freely made by anyone without approval from WG. So by the time its release, it's harmless unless it made impact to the gaming community. That's where WG intervenes and declared it illegal. 

That's the reason some people want to centralized the mods and be certified by WG. So we don't be cautious or question the legality of the mod.

Edited by Mingfang47