Puteralanun

Lead calculator

29 comments in this topic

218 posts
3,788 battles

If I created a mod that can calculate a lead to target and then display a point in front of the target that you must aim manually with your gun, will this mod consider illegal? It'll be like a lead calculator for torpedo, but it's for main gun.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

facepalm. torpedoes take lots of seconds before they reach target and takes more time to reload (depending on tier), shell flies there in few seconds. now tell me which one is easier to avoid?

there's mods like this before and it was banned, anytimes of mods like this are considered illegal . if i were you, i will not use this mods because wg actually monitors  mods activity in their games.

334 posts
12,973 battles

To be honest I don't get the hate against a lead indicator or aim assist . I don't see how that is any more an unfair advantage than an experienced player with a maxed out captain playing low tiers. But apparently that is acceptable.

Every other shooty type game out there gives some point to shoot at. World of Tanks itself has both a built in aim assist and auto aim function.

The other stuff I agree with mods that do nearly everything for you sure ban them.

Edited by Grimnar42

Super Tester
2,725 posts

That already existed. The behavior is similar to what you mentioned. Although it's not 100% accurate though. :P 

And yes, it gave unfair gameplay advantage at some point but it's deemed as illegal mod.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Every other shooty type game out there gives some point to shoot at. 

but you have a point to shoot at in this game.....it's called the centre of the reticle :trollface:

334 posts
12,973 battles

but you have a point to shoot at in this game.....it's called the centre of the reticle :trollface:

No you put the reticule over the point you are shooting at.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

To be honest I don't get the hate against a lead indicator or aim assist . I don't see how that is any more an unfair advantage than an experienced player with a maxed out captain playing low tiers. But apparently that is acceptable.

Every other shooty type game out there gives some point to shoot at. The other stuff I agree with mods that do nearly everything for you sure ban them.

Well really?

Any aim assist mod is  going to help players hit ships at long range. it is a skill to be able to aim and hit ships manually with out the help of a mod, (and hope RNG is on your side as well).

if you think it is ok to have aim assist  then they might as well give all ships lasers and guided missiles and make all ship one shots.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

No you put the reticule over the point you are shooting at.

Exactly...therefore you have a point to shoot at. You just have to decide where that point is :D 

I don't know any other game with semi/close to realistic ballistics that just gives you the aiming point for OMG720NOSCOPEMLGHEADSHOT...

Edited by ADM_dude

334 posts
12,973 battles

Well really?

Any aim assist mod is  going to help players hit ships at long range. it is a skill to be able to aim and hit ships manually with out the help of a mod, (and hope RNG is on your side as well).

if you think it is ok to have aim assist  then they might as well give all ships lasers and guided missiles and make all ship one shots.

That's going to an extreme. I have my point of view you have yours.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

That's going to an extreme. I have my point of view you have yours.

yes and you rather have a cheat mod to help you hits  targets instead of using your own judgement and knowledge and skill.

334 posts
12,973 battles

yes and you rather have a cheat mod to help you hits  targets instead of using your own judgement and knowledge and skill.

I didn't say that at all I said I don't understand where the hate comes from. In the games I have played there is always some aim point to help you.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

In all seriousness, you know what's the one and only mod that is accepted and currently being used, yet no one complain about being a mod/unrealistic/illegal aim assist?

Target lock/tracking

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

In all seriousness, you know what's the one and only mod that is accepted and currently being used, yet no one complain about being a mod/unrealistic/illegal aim assist?

Target lock/tracking

target locking is built into the game (X key), it's not an add-on that "gives an advantage over other players"

(edit - unless you've found another mod to do that?)

Edited by dead_man_walking

218 posts
3,788 battles

Well really?

FYI, even in WW1, battleships and cruisers got some sort of fire control system that calculate the lead against moving target. Of course, I understand that relying on lead calculator will take away some of the challenge from this game. But i think a limited form of lead calculation can be applied without taking away too much. make it an update instead of mod and it'll be fair to everyone.
Edited by Puteralanun

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

(edit - unless you've found another mod to do that?)

Not that i know of, since i'm only using accessory/background type mods that are not indirectly affecting the gameplay (what you call stuff like aim mods, etc)

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

I didn't say that at all I said I don't understand where the hate comes from. In the games I have played there is always some aim point to help you.

the hate comes from players getting a big unfair advantage in having something that's not in the game to help them aim at targets and get hits and basically not miss. that's why players dislike aim assist mods.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

FYI, even in WW1, battleships and cruisers got some sort of fire control system that calculate the lead against moving target. Of course, I understand that relying on lead calculator will take away some of the challenge from this game. But i think a limited form of lead calculation can be applied without taking away too much.

Whilst I agree, with what you've said re: ships having a FCS, there's not much you can do 'in a limited form' as far as I can think of. It's either telling you a lead or not.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

FYI, even in WW1, battleships and cruisers got some sort of fire control system that calculate the lead against moving target. Of course, I understand that relying on lead calculator will take away some of the challenge from this game. But i think a limited form of lead calculation can be applied without taking away too much. make it an update instead of mod and it'll be fair to everyone.

this is a arcade game not a simulator.

and as dead man walking said "target locking is built into the game (X key), it's not an add-on that "gives an advantage over other players"

(edit - unless you've found another mod to do that?)"   So the game already has some sort of lead calculator to help track a target ship.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

this is a arcade game not a simulator.

and as dead man walking said "target locking is built into the game (X key), it's not an add-on that "gives an advantage over other players"

(edit - unless you've found another mod to do that?)"   So the game already has some sort of lead calculator to help track a target ship.

Technically speaking the game already has a lead calculator. Its used by AI ships and your ship's secondaries.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

In WW1 they had gunnery plotting which was calculated off the known characteristics of the guns & ammunition the speed of the ship and the existing weather conditions, then they had spotters who would call for slight changes to the guns trajectory until they got a hit or the shells were straddling the target. What you are suggesting is an automated program that takes out the guess work and most of the fun IMO.

Well it's not even guess work really, the human brain has been capable of calculating with some accuracy the expected trajectory of a projectile for thousands of years if it wasn't hunters would not have started throwing spears or creating weapons that could hurl projects at ever increasing ranges.

IIRC the reason that the lead indicator was removed in the first place was because the aim indicator was making the game all too easy.

Edited by Epicurus_

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Yes, in real life, your Fire Control System would be your "lead indicator" based on all the information the gunnery officer inputs. However, do remember, this is an "arcade" game where you physically aim you main gun unlike IRL where the FCS aims the gun for you.

Having a lead indicator (aim assist) give too much advantage to players to the point where its really all "point and click" for hits. The skill in WoWS is knowing the lead you need based on your experience with the ship.

168 posts
5,663 battles

Every other shooty type game out there gives some point to shoot at. World of Tanks itself has both a built in aim assist and auto aim function.

You do realise that the vanilla WoT client has nothing that adjusts for lead on a moving target either?