Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Brendon_2015

Is this the norm for WoWS MM when going up a tier?

23 comments in this topic

24 posts
549 battles

Hi guys, Can I get some confirmation about MM in WoWS as it's seems really strange to me when you go up a tier.

At this stage my first 3 games in any and all ships I've played have always seen me at bottom tier.  (I've only played tiers 2-5 at this stage and yes it's happened every time).  Is this normal as frankly it seems ridiculous if this is the case. Maybe I've been unlucky but as a new player it's extremely disenchanting to see this happen every time I go up a tier. My first 5 games with the tier 3 Bogatyr (today) were against tiers 5,5,5 3 & 5. In 3 of the Tier 5 match ups I was the sole tier 3 player on the side. Ironically the only match where I didn't do over 20k dmg was the one tier 3 game! My WR over the 5 - 40% and only 1 of the tier 5 games were won by my side - frankly my teams were not particularly good and maybe I could have done better, though I'm not sure how as I felt I definitely did more than my fair shear of the carrying in these games.

Now people may say that that's hardly enough games to talk about a WR but when you're bottom tiered and you're solely the bottom tiered player your WR is basically outside of your control during this initial adjusting in period. Not only that but at lower tiers you don't play that many games before you advance up to the next tier so each lose has a big impact on your ships WR. I have no problem with losing games but you should at least have a chance to start off on a positive note.

Besides how many new players want to have this arses kicked to the ground every time you go up a tier.

NB: I find it really unusual as in WoTBlitz which I'm use to playing, it has you always as top tiered for the first 3 games to enable you to get use to playing her. Is it simply a case of you have to play them in co-op until they're upgraded?

My salvage teams got paid well today, Davey Jones will not be happy!.

Edited by Brendon_2015

359 posts
2,819 battles

For the first two tier of any ship type, you can only face 1 tier above you.

problem arise when you move from tier 2 to tier 3 in cruiser, you now face tier 5.

Probably just unlucky, but frustrating nonetheless.

I bring my tier 3-4 cruisers out and face this, gave up for a while.

Next time I go in, i am very very passive, wait other to go first.

415 posts
10,918 battles

Pretty much every game I've played for 2 days has seen me facing ships 2 tiers higher ... it's not much fun ... even against the bots

783 posts
4,810 battles

imo T3 ships shouldn't be allowed to face T5 ships. At least, I don't think any T3 ship can operate normally in an up-to T5 match without the other side derping(maybe IJN DDs but they work on any tier!). A T4 ship can still make an impact in an up-to T6 game albeit disadvantaged but it's a different story for a T3.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Bullying Tenryuus is a great hobby to have in my Zuiho and Minekaze.

"Fufufu, ya scared?"

I then carve 'Torpedoes', 'Torpedo Bombers', 'Dive Bombers' and 'Concealment' on its hull as it helplessly struggles against things it cannot possibly fight against with reasonably good odds.

Seriously though. T3s in T5 matches just get clubbed by anything that isn't already dying.

---

Rest assured, even when you're two tiers below the match limit, you are still excellent bait. I once had a Kawachi sailing in front of my CA in the ocean map, because of the poor sod's maximum firing range, he can't even fire back at the things shooting at him. In the end, though, he was the only casualty our team suffered. People get tunnel-visioned when they see things weaker than them because it's a 'Free kill'.

On the other hand, once you reach T5, you'll have a competent chance of fighting back against even T7.

Mediocrity makes people greedy- Punish their greed.

563 posts
4,686 battles

imo T3 ships shouldn't be allowed to face T5 ships. At least, I don't think any T3 ship can operate normally in an up-to T5 match without the other side derping(maybe IJN DDs but they work on any tier!). A T4 ship can still make an impact in an up-to T6 game albeit disadvantaged but it's a different story for a T3.

Umm infact uptiered by 2 tier is already ridiculous. It's okay, but WG must limit this, maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 battle.. The rest should be balanced with maximum 1 tier difference. Not funny for a karlsruhe to face nurnberg, Wyoming face New Mexico.. And I think you haven't witness the pain of tier 6 CV facing tier 8 ships.. I do prefer waiting for 1-2 minutes to get a balanced match rather than instant match but crazily uptiered.. Object to seal clubbing. 

331 posts
17,063 battles

Of course it is the norm. It sucks when you're the only bottom tiered ship but I don't think the match maker is going to be changed radically soon.

Your best bet is to play carefully until you get the hang of the ship. Some of them are harder than others to get used to. I expect the MM to do just that when I have a stock ship. No one likes being seal clubbed or flattened early on it happens and is part of the learning process.

whenever you get stuck as the bottom  tiered ship its probably a good idea to stick with a few other ships.

Most players aren't that good in low tiers especially if they have less than 1000 battles.

Low tier is where you get a feel for each type of ship and practice with each of the skills that will  be alot more important later.  I still use it to practice new ideas and just muck around.

The first 2 tiers of any type are to get you used to how the line will handle but there will be changes as you go up the tiers. The most notable one is the change from 152 mm to 203 mm guns for cruisers.

This is where I disagree.

If you've ever played the St Louis you might have  an idea of its capabilities. It can actually stand toe to to with any ship  that it would meet normally and win including T5s you just have to learn how to handle it.

With more experience you will begin to improve your skills and the results you're getting. Also each ship is in theory capable of getting most of the awards even if they are bottom tier unlike WOT where even with gold ammo you wont be able to penetrate the rear or sides of the top tired vehicles . it would be a monster game if you got a release the kraken or high caliber but its worth it. I have seen the replays and have even done it myself occasionally.

Each ship has its own characteristics and will need to be played differently though here are trends in each of the lines.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

well, basically i obliterate and lolpen any lower tier ship in my furutaka except that damn St. louis (small, and cleveland's arty lvl)

but yeah i agree for the lower tier to face ship not much higher than his tier (Kawachi vs Kongou and Tenryuu vs  Omaha)

Edited by Harpoon01

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

hmm, doest 2 tier diffrece is knda norm ?

Its not often to see ship 2 tier bellow / higher than you. but I still consider it normal.

sometimes you have biggest ship in the block, sometimes you are scrubs in bottom of barrel

Using tirpitz : oh its Fuso - Delicius

Using tirpitz : oh its Yamato - S***

Edited by humusz

783 posts
4,810 battles

Umm infact uptiered by 2 tier is already ridiculous. It's okay, but WG must limit this, maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 battle.. The rest should be balanced with maximum 1 tier difference. Not funny for a karlsruhe to face nurnberg, Wyoming face New Mexico.. And I think you haven't witness the pain of tier 6 CV facing tier 8 ships.. I do prefer waiting for 1-2 minutes to get a balanced match rather than instant match but crazily uptiered.. Object to seal clubbing. 

uptiered by 2 in Tier 4 is somewhat manageable. Not like what we see if a Tier 3 is bottom of the barrel. Most of it is that a lot of Tier 4 ships are "good" enough.

Kuma is an outstanding CL, Isokaze needs no explaining. Myogi is a 3/4 Kongo. CVs can deal with T4-T6 matchmaking somewhat. Phoenix is good albeit underarmored. Clemson is a great DD as well as Izlayslav. Wyoming has a lot of guns and will at least always have a target in range. You get my point.

But in T3, only Bogatyr and St. Louis can be said to be able to hold their ground against some T5s and the others just suffer under normal circumstances. Some T5 can pick fights with T7 and T6 with T8s and so on. I just don't think T3s should face T5s.

1,162 posts

Bogatyr can pick fight with Kongo and New York, just burn every part of their ships.

Use the rudder, range and island (except you got Ocean map) if you are bottom tiered in a match and shoot them from invisibility! :izmena:

I use same tactics for Svietlana on T6 match.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

If your getting on at times when the MM population is low,it could be up tiering you to fill mid tier matches.I get it a lot with my Admiral Hipper on the NA server.At low pop times I will nearly always get uptiered to face 9 and 10 to fill out matches.Its in the MM range,but can be annoying when it happens a lot.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

Tier 3 ships (except tier 3 cruisers) do not see tier 5 according to the MM table.

I dont know why they hate cruisers.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Tier 3 ships (except tier 3 cruisers) do not see tier 5 according to the MM table.

I dont know why they hate cruisers.

As I said before... Bullying Tenryuus is a popular hobby. Apparently, even WG is in on it.

Cruisers with plink-guns fighting against significantly more modern ships is a cruel, cruel joke.

2 posts
546 battles

I don't know if being premade as 3 weighs in on how match making finds you a game, but me and my two buds that have just started playing get royally shat on by match making on a regular basis. Had a game tonight where i was in a tier 5 (omaha) and he had a tier 4 (Myogi) and we were matched with tier 7's. It's hard enough fighting ships 2 tiers above, but having a battleship (as i understand, tiers effect battleships more so than most other classes) that is 3 bloody tiers under is not really acceptable. 
And you'll say the team as whole is balanced etc, but literally all it means is that some of the ships were relevant in the battle, and some were irrelevant. 
Getting cross mapped by someone you can't touch in a ship who's one job is long range combat just makes the game not worth playing to be honest. 

As a side note, Matchmaking is quite good when i play solo, i usually get  ships primarily of the same tier as me. However, i can't play my tier 5 ships with a premade because we always get matched with tier 6+7's. It's super disheartening for them as new players and it doesn't really make us want to continue playing, at least not as a group.

451 posts
6,946 battles

I don't know if being premade as 3 weighs in on how match making finds you a game, but me and my two buds that have just started playing get royally shat on by match making on a regular basis. Had a game tonight where i was in a tier 5 (omaha) and he had a tier 4 (Myogi) and we were matched with tier 7's. It's hard enough fighting ships 2 tiers above, but having a battleship (as i understand, tiers effect battleships more so than most other classes) that is 3 bloody tiers under is not really acceptable. 

And you'll say the team as whole is balanced etc, but literally all it means is that some of the ships were relevant in the battle, and some were irrelevant. 

Getting cross mapped by someone you can't touch in a ship who's one job is long range combat just makes the game not worth playing to be honest. 

As a side note, Matchmaking is quite good when i play solo, i usually get  ships primarily of the same tier as me. However, i can't play my tier 5 ships with a premade because we always get matched with tier 6+7's. It's super disheartening for them as new players and it doesn't really make us want to continue playing, at least not as a group.

if youre in a V and ur frens are IV then try to get him to get a ship that survives VII, like uh, isokaze instead of myogi.

I think we really need a div warning and acknowledgement button to at least inform divs that they they may chance upon a VII battle due to V ship present.

2 posts
546 battles

if youre in a V and ur frens are IV then try to get him to get a ship that survives VII, like uh, isokaze instead of myogi.

I think we really need a div warning and acknowledgement button to at least inform divs that they they may chance upon a VII battle due to V ship present.

I don't see why he should be forced to play a certain ship just so we can have a game together :sceptic: We were trying to lvl his Myogi. So either i play a ship that i don't want/need to level, or he plays a ship that he doesn't need/want to level. 

I understand that because i had a tier 5, which apparently is fine to be matched against tier 7's (i still think that's BS, but that's for a different discussion), he will see ships as high as tier 7, i just don't understand who thought that would be a good way to balance pre-mades , especially when you can only have 4 people out of your entire team playing as a pre-made.

Maybe i'm just being a dumb baby about it, but it's not really a good way to encourage new players to KEEP playing and spend money on your game.

Edited by Brucinator

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

No
Tier 5 only can meet tier 8 if he div with someone with higher tier and can actually carry the game if possible
(So yes, your statement is just BS, but that's for another discussion)

And no, i still wonder why thousands of players still play the game in one server in any hour despite broken Div system (WoT is very old)

Edited by Harpoon01

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I don't see why he should be forced to play a certain ship just so we can have a game together :sceptic: We were trying to lvl his Myogi. So either i play a ship that i don't want/need to level, or he plays a ship that he doesn't need/want to level. 

I understand that because i had a tier 5, which apparently is fine to be matched against tier 7's (i still think that's BS, but that's for a different discussion), he will see ships as high as tier 7, i just don't understand who thought that would be a good way to balance pre-mades , especially when you can only have 4 people out of your entire team playing as a pre-made.

Maybe i'm just being a dumb baby about it, but it's not really a good way to encourage new players to KEEP playing and spend money on your game.

MM shows no mercy.

Trying to help your friends who are a tier lower or higher than yours will be detrimental to the bottom-tiered player because MM only counts the highest-tier ship in the division. Zero exceptions. Not even carriers and their mirrored matchmaking.

cvnwSAA.jpg

You see this mate?

Biplanes fighting advanced late-war monoplanes.

359 posts
2,819 battles
Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Sign in to follow this