Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

secondary's angle of fire.

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

I was just wonder at what angle from a ship do secondary's start to fire at enemy ships.

I've noticed that secondary's don't seem to fire if a enemy ship is bow on or stern on or even at a slight angle from bow or stern.

for example the izumo has a secondary turret at the stern of the ship but it doesn't seem to fire at ships that are directly to the stern. Yes there is a structure in the way directly stern but even at a slight angle to each side of the stern the secondary still doesn't seem to fire.

So I was wondering if any one knows what is the firing arc of the secondary's from a ship?

Same with a Yamato it has a secondary turret at the front but I've not notice it firing at other ships either bow on that are in range.

just wondering if other players have noticed this as well. Even on American BBs ive noticed the secondary's don't seem to fire if a ships is just either side of the bow or stern.

Beta Tester
114 posts
2,025 battles

Its generally as much as they can turn,the secondaries on the Tirpitz for example, can fire at a forward-ish target despite being mounted on the sides.

Not sure whats up with your Yamato front secondaries though but low tier battleships like the Wyoming have a very cute stern secondary that can fire right behind you due to its placement.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

as long as the 2ndary got its line of sight.. it can fire

as for yamato,

the 155mm at the front will always firing when the target is on the front (if the 2ndary didn't get knocked out)

meanwhile,

thse 127mm at the side, u need slight angle to let 2 turrets fire to the front,

and u can't get both right and left fire together due those 127mm gun get kinda limited line of sight,

another example is clemson/wickes.. omaha/pheonix

those gun at right and left that pointed forward, can't shoot together at same time, u need to dance a litle so the gun can get the line of sight to fire.

i hope this thread didn;t become rant fest :child:

Edited by ReNation

Beta Tester
114 posts
2,025 battles

as long as the 2ndary got its line of sight.. it can fire

Not exactly,some secondary guns can actually be indirectly fired,arcing over islands and hitting whats behind it.

Most noticeable with Izumo/Yamato with upgraded secondaries.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

just seems like they don't fire unless its a 45-50 degree angle from centre of the ship.

That means that the secondary turrets can only turn 45-50 degree angle from the center of the ship.

783 posts
4,821 battles

In my Nagato games my secondaries almost always fired even when the target is 15-20 degrees from the bow whenever I rushed at DDs. I guess most of them is really dependent on the ship layout but with mid tier IJN BBs, they are pretty flexible up to where they fire that one can afford being angled. The USN secondaries however are more restricted in their firing angles. At least, that is what it seems whenever I rush at a USN BB.

683 posts
7,358 battles

I'm using terpitz with manual secondary control. Most of the time when the enemy is directly in front the secondaries wont fire. My thought is that as they are pointing their guns to the enemy right at the bow, they actually need to turn inwards a little (to the centre line) just like front and rear turrets have to "converge" their trajectories to a near target at port or starboard.

But as far as I notice, secondaries will open up once i tilt my Terpitz a little, say the angle is about... 15 to 20 degrees from bow?

PS: secondary manual control is quite fun in Terpitz, I'm sure it's even more exciting in YAmato :D

Sign in to follow this