Sign in to follow this  
Arbystrider

Ideal Aircraft Carrier Control Scheme(s)?

15 comments in this topic

5 posts
807 battles

TLDR: Is the usability of the RTS view on CVs really that bad or am I being an idiot and missing something?

Perhaps I am not interpreting CV gameplay correctly, but from what I can see (I only have limited experience with the T4 Langley), it seems to be some kind of RTS interface, so I presume it (ie; CVs) is meant to be played like an RTS.

I also have limited RTS experience, the only time I've played RTS was on Warcraft 3 for like 2 hours, and Battlezone2's satellite-view mode, which I love very much.

It seems that when playing CVs, the only really easy/practical way to move the view across the map is to click on the minimap (which introduces a very jarring split-second delay) or use arrow keys. I'd rather not use the cursor to pan across the map, since I like to be able to still make actions while moving the view.

Normally in BZ2 I use WASD to move the view. I can use + or - to adjust the zoom level, and use arrow keys to change the camera angle so I can get a perfect top-down view or look at the map from a different perspective. F1 to F10 selects different units which I can give orders to. If I want to jump to a far away area of the map, I click the minimap and it brings me there with no delay.

<Screencap of BZ2 gameplay in satellite-view mode>

But in WoWS, WASD in RTS view actually moves the ship, and arrow keys moves the view. So all of a sudden I find myself with my left hand on the arrow key area and my mouse hand on my mouse, which feels highly unnatural. I find myself refraining from clicking the minimap since that split-second delay screws with my train of thought. I also tend to select units using the mouse instead of the keyboard, since it would take forever to move my hand from the arrow keys to the numbers row.

I don't see any way of setting the controls such that WASD moves the camera only in RTS view mode, so I imagine a lot of CV newbs have it set like this, as this is the default.

Are there any "ideal" control schemes that allow for efficient CV gameplay? I hope I won't have to sacrifice WASD-control for other types of ships - I have seen some posts suggesting rebinding WASD to other keys.

Also, what is the deal with the speed on CVs defaulting to half instead of full?

Edited by Arbystrider

5 posts
807 battles

you mean your muscle memory makes you unable to adapt well with CV control?

I haven't played BZ2 in many years, and even when I did play it, it was on-and-off. I wouldn't call it "muscle memory" any more than I would call it "sensible design of controls".

That said, I have not played many RTS-style games, so I can't say if my experience in BZ2 is representative of other popular RTS games such as Starcraft.

Surely I can't be the only person on this entire forum who has played an RTS game. Is there anyone who can comment on this?

Edited by Arbystrider

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I pretty much play mostly RTS. It's a muscle memory issue, tbh. Also, that and I'm more used to arrow keys since in most modern RTSes, WSAD is tied to hotkeys instead of map movement.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

If I play carriers, I would want to have some version of the Zero System:

Edited by Haku

783 posts
4,826 battles

So are there any ideal control schemes to facilitate efficient CV gameplay or are CVs f@#ked?

It really is just mostly getting used to it.

WASD keys being used to move the ship is pretty useful when dodging torps in a maneuverable CV so at least it isn't useless.

I myself am looking forward to a change in gameplay but I'll have to make do with what I have now.

The interface itself is pretty basic and easy enough to get used to especially if you played your own share of RTS(I play a lot of retro RTS games so I'm used to adapting to more skeleton like UI)

I personally don't use the arrow keys and just pan out the map while in full "zoom out" and is more than sufficient to cover a lot of space.

153 posts
3,262 battles

I think it is pretty easy to control CV play, double tap on "1" to bring your camera back to your ships to set the points.. double tap on the squadron numbers to bring your camera to your plane squadrons.. the arrow keys are minimum adjustments before your bombing runs and such..

u can also set way points so that your planes can go scout through a safe route and you have less need to jump around the map to view everything.

5 posts
807 battles

I think it is pretty easy to control CV play, double tap on "1" to bring your camera back to your ships to set the points.. double tap on the squadron numbers to bring your camera to your plane squadrons.. the arrow keys are minimum adjustments before your bombing runs and such..

Enjoy being narrow-sighted and not (manually) panning across the map to assess the situation.

153 posts
3,262 battles

Enjoy being narrow-sighted and not (manually) panning across the map to assess the situation.

It is not being narrow-minded. I set my planes in a set course so that I can double tap on it to see it while it scouts, saving me time from panning.. 

If you want to quote me, dont just quote a part of my reply and judge me for being narrow-sighted. I scout the map, I just do it more efficiently than panning.

If you cannot take in new ideas, then stop creating threads and accusing people who bothered to reply for having a bad playstyle.

199 posts
6,041 battles

And how exactly is not having a usable UI relevant to having a "bad playstyle"?

Don't question it too much, just roll with for a while. In the future update, CV is going to get a update on the interface.

I know the interface is... Basically, lacking some important bits. But just man up for a while or play other class. I played some RTS (C&C General, Zero Hour and Red Alert 3), so I know how you feel about the CV's Interface.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

I have a quick question, the CV controls are really problematic for me. I play a lot of Dota2 and issuing move with left click is kinda alien to me. Can this be changed like left click will select and right click to issue move order. Also, often I click quickly like needed in those other games, and then automatically it selects my main ship. Can this be disabled?

21 posts
705 battles

You can touch some stuff on the controls section see if you can find controls that corresponds to whatever is it and also you can't disable it and you don't have to click quickly :V

Edited by Kaneko3003

Sign in to follow this