You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Mackensen battlecruiser

12 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I gotta hand it to the German battlecruisers, even the intermediate capital ship can still consider itself an effective capital ship. And I liek bottlekrooza.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE MACKENSEN.

24qp9pj.jpg

How to make hax level battlecruiser in German standards: take the tried and true Derfflinger design and capitalize the shit out of that.

In WW1, two surface capital ships existed: the dreadnoughts which were the "proper" or "full" battleships, and the battlecruisers. Now the battlecruisers were but intermediate capital ships and were at the time the fastest ones in the navies and were assigned to be lead ships on roles such as blockade interdiction, commerce raiding and have what you, but in terms of protection, the battlecruiser was basically meant to laugh at cruiser grade guns and never battleship grade guns. As was said before, there are two concepts on how to battlecruiser as you can only select from the triangle of speed, firepower, and protection. The British aspect favored superlative weaponry and speed at the cost of the ships not being able to take a shitload of punishment as was displayed during Jutland where the first actions took place between battlecruisers (note: the reason why the British battlecruisers exploded after taking a few hits was due to derp by the crew that the guns have to keep feeding rounds and so had littered ready rounds in the barbette and somehow forgot to close blast doors because lol) while the German aspect favored protection and weaponry as their main forte and proved to be the more durable ships during their runs, especially during Jutland. However, it wasn't enough and the Germans had to build more as the post-Jutland battlecruiser the Renowns were slowly being built and they knew that those ships will outclass the Derfflingers, especially to the fact that it was seen that their state of the art (at the time) battlecruisers could only take 8-10 hits before being incapacitated, so they had to build a better design.

(if my derp German still works, "Ersatz" should be "replacement)

Names should be: Mackensen (Ersatz Victoria Louise), Graf Spee (Ersatz Blucher), Ersatz Friedrich Karl (renamed Ersatz "A" and there was milling that its to be named the "First Bismarck" though I don't know how to say that in German), Prinz Eitel Friedrich (Ersatz Freya) and three other unnamed ships that have yet to be built. Good Lord, these names are strange.

33to4yu.jpg

Mackensen in scheme...

29fqxx1.jpg

... and a fantasy Mackensen retrofit (I can't find any proper fantasy refits of Mackensen that's any good)

The Mackensen was protected with about 12 inches of belt, 11 inches of turret, 3 inches of deck and 12 inches of conning tower whereas her offensive array comprised of 13.8 inch guns in four dual mount turrets in the AB-XY layout, fourteen 6 inch guns for secondaries, four pairs of 88's to serve as AA suite (yes, the biplanes were easily blasted out of the sky by big ass guns with lolmuzzle velocities so deal with it) and submerged torpedo tubes where one was under the bow and two pairs were on the stern on each side. The ship was slated to run at 28 knots though it wouldn't be an exaggeration that if given enough attention, a battlecruiser of this type could theoretically reach 31 knots with newer machinery despite their own machinery being brand new themselves.

About the guns... the 13.8 inch guns were to be new ones and had tests to conduct. It had two propellants: one silk bag standard and the "main charge" in a brass casing (note: powder bags are slow as balls because you need to shove them in and NOT snag whereas the fixed propellant should be fast but remember, you can't really make a solid propellant for a big ass gun like this, same goes that why even Iowa was still using propellants in powder bags). One of the things seen during was that if elevated at 20 degrees, the shell could be lobbed at 25km and this was still debatable if it still could carry a bigger hitting power than the 12 inch guns used as they were decent enough. Well, they couldn't really find out as it didn't really fire at enemy ships but its likely that would have been one of the effective guns. The notion of the guns on Bayern was there but they needed a bigger ship so it was kinda reserved for the paper Ersatz Yorcks but it technically can happen if it had survived and the ships were retrofitted.

2unvno7.jpg

Seriously, Mackensen ain't a bad looking battlecruiser,

Sadly, as they were being keeled, the British, being prissy jealous guys who don't want to lose on how to battlecruiser, built the Admirals to match or even overmatch though only Hood came out of the Admiral class and she never met any of the Mackensens because it was then to shift to building more dreads and submarine cheesing because prize rules in submarine warfare is just a cowardice and unmanly, therefore they had to shift.

In-game wise, I'm expecting the Mackensen as a tier 6 praying that the battleship line be split into "fast" and "slow" battleships with the fast battleship aspect being battlecruisers, even if fantasy retrofitting them to WW2 standards (hey if Amagi got a retrofit despite being scrapped because there were plans and Akagi turning flat top, I can see why the hell not to fantasy retrofitting!) with a range of 22km with dispersion similar to Kongo's.

Derp.exe is stop.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

In-game wise, I'm expecting the Mackensen as a tier 6 praying that the battleship line be split into "fast" and "slow" battleships with the fast battleship aspect being battlecruisers, 

A question for our lord and saviour on bookface maybe?

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

German ship, Scottish name.

A mixture of Wagner and bagpipes.

Sounds good to me,Dads last name is German and Mums maiden name is Scottish!

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Now... Which ship class was she based on? Or improved upon?

Basically a big ass Derfflinger with different spacing in the hull.

But did she carry (ever get designed to carry) TORPEDUS??? ----->Torpedobeats all the way

it had submerged torpedo tubes so technically yeah.

64 posts
6,461 battles

But did she carry (ever get designed to carry) TORPEDUS??? ----->Torpedobeats all the way

If you bother to look you can see 2 on each side and 1 bow. All submerged, so won't be in game. And just as well, submerged torpedoes weaken the underwater protection.

Edited by Capt_Brownpants

Super Tester
1,677 posts

the German Kongo would technically be the Derfflinger or the lulzy Seydlitz.