Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

0.5.6 Why are new maps only for tier 7 above?

20 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

As with this new update and previous ones most new maps are for tier 7 and above which I rarely play due to reasons stated by myself and others in various threads.

It would be nice to have some different maps for other tiers and if this is some sort of incentive to play the higher tiers, which I'm not saying it is hence my question, then it will not work for me. Changing certain factors in the higher tiers that currently promote the passive play style might.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Uh, new maps like Trident are one of the mid-tier maps released back in 0.5.5.

The reason's a bit simple.

To increase map variety- And in turn, player tactics. It's also to spice things up.

Low-tier matches are sufficiently spicy in terms of heat, if you ask me.

---

That or the devs really enjoy making huge maps with as much detail as possible. Hunt dem easter eggs, lads!

Super Tester
802 posts

Having the same 2-3 maps for low tiers helps new players familiarise themselves with the gameplay. To do so otherwise would leave them less capable during higher tier games.

199 posts
6,037 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a map with a tier of VII-X would be seen by ships of tier V-X.

It is true. Any tier 5 and 6 ships can get dragged to a tier 7 map, IF the team have more tier 7 and above ships than the tier 5 (Usually, at least somewhere around 7 players with tier 7 - 10 ships needed to get the tier 7 map). If there aren't much tier 7 ships, than they will get map for the low tier.

Edited by Delta_Sierra

783 posts
4,819 battles

It is true. Any tier 5 and 6 ships can get dragged to a tier 7 map, IF the team have more tier 7 and above ships than the tier 5 (Usually, at least somewhere around 7 players with tier 7 - 10 ships needed to get the tier 7 map). If there aren't much tier 7 ships, than they will get map for the low tier.

Thanks for the clarification.

As with this new update and previous ones most new maps are for tier 7 and above which I rarely play due to reasons stated by myself and others in various threads.

It would be nice to have some different maps for other tiers and if this is some sort of incentive to play the higher tiers, which I'm not saying it is hence my question, then it will not work for me. Changing certain factors in the higher tiers that currently promote the passive play style might.

Then I don't really see the issue since the maps only bars Tier IVs for the usual player. It conveniently covers mid and high tiers.

(At the very least, maps developed for tier III and IV tend to be small in nature that tier VII/VIII might be in range of each other in just a few seconds)

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

But really, i have the same question as the OP. We have too few maps available for low tiers. After getting pissed by a losing streak, i usually go seal-clubbing using tier III, IV and V ships, and i must say i'm tired of running into the same map everytime i click the "Battle" button.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

the maps are using high tiers so they can be guaranteed to get some usage - we all know everyone researches their fav tier 10 and thats all that gets played. Better to test the maps where the ships are. 

753 posts
8,965 battles

we all know everyone researches their fav tier 10 and thats all that gets played. Better to test the maps where the ships are. 

Do you have statistics to back this claim?

507 posts
9,827 battles

Doesn't matter. Those maps will be silly to play in lower tiers. The maximum range at those tiers is ~22 kms by Kongo or Fuso. Cruisers can't even reach 15 - 16 kms which is a standard at t7 and above and not to mention the time it would take to zip around the map.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

having just played on the PT server.....nope.

No idea why the maps are set like that, you get given all the tier 4 ships, but you have to earn higher tiers, only get 3000 free xp to play with (but a huge amount of doubloons and coin)

753 posts
8,965 battles

Doesn't matter. Those maps will be silly to play in lower tiers. The maximum range at those tiers is ~22 kms by Kongo or Fuso. Cruisers can't even reach 15 - 16 kms which is a standard at t7 and above and not to mention the time it would take to zip around the map.

They don't have to be large maps but some new ones would be nice.

451 posts
6,946 battles

Got up to the izumo in PT. The new maps seem fine. The iowas arent though lol rip their dispersion

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Not sure if it was on the NA forums or in the RU Q & A translated stuff,one of the devs a while ago said they were releasing more higher tier maps to try and get people to play them more.

Of course its the same old WG totally missing the point on a given subject, people are not playing the higher tiers due to costs ( which is I gather what you were referring to about reasons mentioned in other threads).

403 posts
8,181 battles

Not sure if it was on the NA forums or in the RU Q & A translated stuff,one of the devs a while ago said they were releasing more higher tier maps to try and get people to play them more.

Of course its the same old WG totally missing the point on a given subject, people are not playing the higher tiers due to costs ( which is I gather what you were referring to about reasons mentioned in other threads).

They know what they are doing. By baiting ppl with pretty maps restricted to high tier they are indirectly encouraging ppl to buy premium time or premiun ships so that the ppl can fund their mappy adventures

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

They know what they are doing. By baiting ppl with pretty maps restricted to high tier they are indirectly encouraging ppl to buy premium time or premiun ships so that the ppl can fund their mappy adventures

I'd say your right about that,just read this on the RU thread:

• Even though most players play at tier 5-6, they will continue to improve high tier gameplay (and not only by adding new maps).

Won't work on me though,I only get Premium time when I go on holidays,I don't see the worth of it when I am splitting time between the NA and SEA servers.( Now if they want to give us universal log in,I might just buy 12 months,hint hint WG!)

Sign in to follow this