Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
newt

Question for BB pros

11 comments in this topic

5 posts
4,941 battles

In close quarter BB engagements where do you aim? 

I've noticed recently that when brawling at less than 5 km aiming at the waterline results in shots that fall short and so I don't see the big damage rolls I'm expecting.

Do you aim above the torpedo belt perhaps?

Is there any benefit in aiming at the deck line, obviously you can take out turrets but you're not going to hit ammo or machinery spaces.

Also, how do you screenshot your post battle pages. I clocked up 170k damage in my Texas but can't show it.

Cheers.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Broadside target, at or just under the waterline. Angled target, one salvo to the superstructure or guns, then hold fire until broadside.

Printscreen for screenshots. They go into the screenshots folder in the WoWS game folder.

451 posts
6,946 battles

Extremely close fighting requires u to leave a gap below the waterline, not at it. Idk why it just works that way.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Also, nothing ruins a BB players day more than when you shoot AP into their turrets if they are approaching bow on - take out a turret or two and it makes a big difference.

Alternatively, shoot HE and set them of fire if you have the time for that (on bow on approach only)

[AMPOL]
11 posts
3,737 battles

In close quarter BB engagements where do you aim? 

I've noticed recently that when brawling at less than 5 km aiming at the waterline results in shots that fall short and so I don't see the big damage rolls I'm expecting.

Do you aim above the torpedo belt perhaps?

Is there any benefit in aiming at the deck line, obviously you can take out turrets but you're not going to hit ammo or machinery spaces.

Also, how do you screenshot your post battle pages. I clocked up 170k damage in my Texas but can't show it.

Cheers.

I've noticed that several times last night with low level US cruiser's;  shots aimed at the water line falling short into the water even with both ships moving steady and parallel.

Beta Tester
114 posts
2,025 battles

Depends on the gun you're using and the ship you are shooting at, I usually shoot slightly above the waterline because at that range your guns should be able to penetrate the belt armor and I find water shots to be sketchy at times (such as going too low and and doing nothing),

alternatively against ships like the Tirpitz which has very thick belt armor, the area below the front turrets become a better choice as it is still a citadel but less well protected (and you can knock out a turret!).

Edited by TE_Moemiji_

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

If I'm close and square on, I always aim for the waterline under the turrets. Lead your target and then hammer a broadside into them.

If it penetrates, you'll at least knock out a turret or if you are lucky, detonate the magazine. If angled, as said in previous posts, fire into the guns and superstructure.

Citadels hits aplenty if done right!

Edited by EvacuateBowel

102 posts
1,581 battles

At Close I aim a bit Higher than the Waterline by the time shells get there it drops to Waterline area on it's own. :o

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I ain't a pro, but when I'm <5km away, I don't ever show my broadside- I switch to HE and go full ramming speed while my primary and secondaries guarantee that he ain't coming out of this alive without an instance of fire, or, upon my ship's impact, flooding.

For best effect, do it on a significantly more expensive enemy ship so you can lick your financial wounds while the other guy gets an insurmountable repair bill despite having killed you.

Why HE rather an AP? Angling. If you're fighting something with an objectively superior armor loadout and superior guns, rather than hoping you citadel the guy with shots that either deal minimal or maximum damage, you force him to swallow fires and guarantee moderate-fatal damage- At the expense of your own ship's. Of course, I'm taking about battleship knife-fights. If it were the CA, I'd be turning hard to avoid the inevitable torpedo barrage while firing AP.

Sign in to follow this