Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

fail tactics

30 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

Just to let players know, who continue to employ this type of tactic, that this is a BIG BIG BIG FAIL.

DONT DO THIS TACTIC, as you will always lose.

the players who do this, not only let your self down but letting your team down  as well.

Yes we lost this battle so easy, Why we lose because the enemy had my teams ships surrounded and was able to fire at the ships from 3 different directions.

everyone needs to learn that you cant win a battle trying to fight or defend from 3 different directions.

learn to attack the flanks and stay on the side of the map in which you spawn.

if everyone sails to the middle of the map like in this case it will always end up in a loss.shot-16.05.11_14.08.38-0866.jpg

Also if anyone has Fail tactics they like to share please add them here

Edited by yobbo1972

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

Another fail is always running away, the team that runs always lose as well

if you have caps to take and you run away from them, the enemy gets free cap points and wins.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

if you have caps to take and you run away from them, the enemy gets free cap points and wins.

Your teammates must have been the French Navy then.

Yes. The French Navy is in the game. Its usually on your team. Especially when cap points needs to be taken.

783 posts
4,808 battles

-snip-

-snip-

If the enemy does the tactic as well then it's a toss up who wins. :trollface:

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

well funny enough MM has a habit of putting these type of players on one team while the other team always seem to have the players who play the right way.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

well funny enough MM has a habit of putting these type of players on one team while the other team always seem to have the players who play the right way.

Wargaming has been using a program called Forseti ever since World of Tanks came out of beta.

What Forseti does?

Well, it basically records your in-game behaviour and stores the data until you reach a certain number of battles.

Once you've reached that point Forseti starts it's second phase and will continue to match you with players that have a similiar mindset.

It's really quite a horrible function, but of course WG would utilise it.

Rumor also has it that buying premium time resets the timer for Forseti, so whenever you buy premium time you get better battles.

Note though that it only resets the moment you buy premium time, it doesn't keep it at zero for however long you run it.

Hence I suggest buying short premium packages instead of the long ones even if you can afford them.

Sure, they have a better price, but even if you buy a 1 year long subscription it won't reset Forseti.

Anyway, this post will most likely be deleted soon, but never forget Forseti!

Never forget!

Spoiler

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

this. most player tactic is only cap two caps and leaving a cap for the enemy to capture. i always lecture them on games that leaving a cap point will give the enemy a free cap points and gives them extra advantage.

another one is dd who don't wanted to enter the cap points. for F sake, you are a destroyer and enemy will be having hard time detecting you than other ship and you got smoke and speed boost for escaping.

specially at trap map when carrier are present, sometime i even see DD go for carrier. instead of taking cap points.

why i'm still seeing battleship who only sit behind the back and too afraid to get their ship paint scratched, i even saw a yamato with 80% HP running away from cruisers while his 3 allied  cruisers are brawling with the enemy.

i though this is the Asian server not European server, but why i'm seeing lots of french player?

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

Yes I know everything a player does in battle gets recorded and sent off to WG.

Hence why sometime you find yourself in a spawn position that basically dictates your game play behaviour and you die early as WG knows your going to do what they expect you to do, like take D cap when your in a cruiser and not a DD and the main enemy force out numbers you on that side of the map 3v1  and thus the loss.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

shot-16.05.11_20.16.53-0161.jpg    another fail tactic again players went inwards from starting position.

seems to be the same thing happening for all fail tactics so far and that is going inwards from your starting point seems to lose each time

331 posts
17,063 battles

here is another fail tactic/ strategy

Hang back and make the CV spot the enemy Never advance past the spawn point until the enemy has all 3 cap points and is entrenched.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Just to let players know, who continue to employ this type of tactic, that this is a BIG BIG BIG FAIL.

the players who do this, not only let your self down but letting your team down  as well.

Yes we lost this battle so easy, Why we lose because the enemy had my teams ships surrounded and was able to fire at the ships from 3 different directions.

everyone needs to learn that you cant win a battle trying to fight or defend from 3 different directions.

learn to attack the flanks and stay on the side of the map in which you spawn.

if everyone sails to the middle of the map like in this case it will always end up in a loss.shot-16.05.11_14.08.38-0866.jpg

Also if anyone has Fail tactics they like to share please add them here

Also known as Cowards.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

Frankly speaking

This is one of the best tactic I've seen in WoWS

In most cases, such team will win

You may call it Cowards, but it actually works more effectively than you may think

An ideal "Cowards tactics" needs:

BB(+CV) + some CA staying in the base/near the base

a few CA + DD hanging around in the front

why is it a good tactic?

1.Grouping

2.Defensive > Aggressive

3.The outer CA and DD

1.Grouping

Cowards group together, that means

- epic AA defense

- low chance to have someone being concentrated

- Higher chance to concentrate fire on a single target(I'll explain this in the next part)

- Unbelievably strong firepower(especially when your team is concentrating on single targets)

2.Defensive > Aggressive

Usually, play defensively is better than play agressively

for gunnery, it's more difficult to hit a target moving away

for torpedo, it's very difficult to hit a target moving away

The same goes for teams

A defensive team usually pack more closely together

while an aggressive team usually disperse more

so an aggressive team will usually have someone in the front, being concentrated

while a defensive team can share the damage

3. The outer CA + DD

They are the key of Cowards tactics

In a coward team that everybody stay near the base, the better players should be the ones who go out

with know-how-to-play CA and DD in the front, they can:

- slow down parts of the enemy so the cowards can concentrate on the others

- disrupt the enemies' fleet structure

- weakening the enemies fleet

- protect the cowards from long range torpedo attack

This is also a "divide and conquer" tactic

without these guys, the team will likely to face enemies coming from several directions, so the enemy will have the upper hand

I've played several games with such team

The cowards win every time.

783 posts
4,808 battles

-snip-

It would be 'kind of good' if that was being shown. In Yobbo's screenshot however, it isn't and the team already allowed the other team to outflank them in every channel. Not to mention that their CV is getting hammered by the other CVs planes without much support.

Now, for that tactic, it looks good on paper, but there are a lot of flaws with that. Mostly practical.

First, on grouping. Even with the player's good control of ships compared IRL, conducting maneuvers while in just one area can prove to be challenging. I'm sure everyone has had that time when everyone is grouped together and you get to hear horns everywhere due to collisions. Also, any long range torping DD(ie Gearing) can wreck a group if they stick like that regardless of detection range due to the relatively smaller room for manuever.

That kind of formation also gimps out any offensive potential your ally DDs will have. Sure, they will scout and detect torps, but staying in close conjunction, limits their operation range a lot. If they do split, the enemy CV will be waiting for them due to how AA is concentrated in the base group. The only torps they can hit tbh are to those enemies who YOLO and have a death wish plainly from the compact amount of bombardment the main group can present which would dissuade the normal player to get within torp range(12km) of your base group. The situation will most likely evolve into an encirclement on two or three flanks if your grouping continues.

Second onto 'defensive' measures. It is without a doubt that your team's CVs will have better reign while the enemy CV will be forced to play the waiting game. Surface ships however, will suffer from being hit on more than one flank. Say for example your main fleet is in between two smaller enemy fleets. Say 5 from your left, and then 4 from your right. Any target you choose from which flank WILL be focused down. Any target they choose will be more scattered, although they can choose to focus down a ship as well.

Here's where it gets a problem in practicality, during an encirclement(you can only kite so much), the enemy fleet will most likely fire at 3-4km nearer than their max range at best. If all your guns point into one flank, the other flank is free to score some free hits in. The flank where you point your guns will undoubtedly maneuver and angle as best they can to survive. Any counter they give is something your own fleet will maneuver against and angle against as well. But then take into account the other flank, they can bare their max FP against the main fleet due to not being the point of focus. One cannot angle a ship against two sides reliably without giving up firepower. So effectively, the flanking enemies are in a much better position to mitigate damage due to it coming from overall one direction. I'm not even gonna mention battleship rotation speeds which will have problems if targets are spread out as much. In terms of the amount your own fleet can dish out, it is also mitigated by how the target is angled. Yes, you can switch to another target, but getting the whole fleet to do that in a reload's notice is nothing short of extraordinary.

Of course, if your fleet does not focus fire then this problem will not occur, but then what was raised as a defensive tactic will be rendered null and it turns back into a free for all in the end. Their advantage retains to the enemy where they are more free in terms of movement due to not being in formation.

Now, third will be the outer CA + DD.

Disregarding for a moment that you already expect a number of CA or DD are gonna be the good players capable of moving out, they are at most risking a CV strike. With all those tactics and maneuvers, even coming up top on engagements, I can sure expect that these will bare the most casualties in the formation. Put into perspective, if I see a large fleet of various ship classes, then no way am I gonna shoot at the BB first. More fragile targets like CAs and DDs will be the first priority for any CA/BB captain if the enemy DDs do not push to pose an immediate threat.

Summarizing: I will sound like I'm refuting the idea completely but there are some merits. It actually minimizes the enemy CV influence and can induce DD losses against the enemy. My main gripe is that this type of tactic needs a whole lot of teamwork expected from randoms in which letting a player decide his own tactics for himself will yield better results. There is also the practicality of the tactic in question and for how long the players can stick to it when getting rained by shells on more than one side(I have to admit that it induces a lot of panic when this happens).  Lastly, this type of tactic somehow minimizes a player's individual skill due to how the formations are and keeping in mind not to break off which would mean harsh punishment by shells or planes.

211 posts
9,928 battles

I Just want to post this,

Concave usally beats Convex in RTS terms, same basic concept as "crossing the T"

VMxKCoF.png?1

Blue can fire, Orange can fire, Red is out of range. Blue has more focused fire power on Orange = WIN

Horrible Lemming Positioning is Horrible.

Plus, IJN DD would absolutely wreak havoc on such a cluster of ships.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

Frankly speaking

This is one of the best tactic I've seen in WoWS

In most cases, such team will win

You may call it Cowards, but it actually works more effectively than you may think

An ideal "Cowards tactics" needs:

BB(+CV) + some CA staying in the base/near the base

a few CA + DD hanging around in the front

why is it a good tactic?

1.Grouping

2.Defensive > Aggressive

3.The outer CA and DD

1.Grouping

Cowards group together, that means

- epic AA defense

- low chance to have someone being concentrated

- Higher chance to concentrate fire on a single target(I'll explain this in the next part)

- Unbelievably strong firepower(especially when your team is concentrating on single targets)

2.Defensive > Aggressive

Usually, play defensively is better than play agressively

for gunnery, it's more difficult to hit a target moving away

for torpedo, it's very difficult to hit a target moving away

The same goes for teams

A defensive team usually pack more closely together

while an aggressive team usually disperse more

so an aggressive team will usually have someone in the front, being concentrated

while a defensive team can share the damage

3. The outer CA + DD

They are the key of Cowards tactics

In a coward team that everybody stay near the base, the better players should be the ones who go out

with know-how-to-play CA and DD in the front, they can:

- slow down parts of the enemy so the cowards can concentrate on the others

- disrupt the enemies' fleet structure

- weakening the enemies fleet

- protect the cowards from long range torpedo attack

This is also a "divide and conquer" tactic

without these guys, the team will likely to face enemies coming from several directions, so the enemy will have the upper hand

I've played several games with such team

The cowards win every time.

ummm ya having a laugh hey ???

maybe if it was a clan war and all players on team speak with a commander calling out targets ....but nope it a pub game and this is always a loss.

as it is the enemy had 2 ships on the 10 line and 1 ship that I seen in the middle I didn't see the enemy DDs so I'm assuming they in the middle 7 line and maybe the 9 line as they were not on my side of the map, as I'm in a DD as well, as I'm on the left side of the map trying to hold off 5 ships that didn't sail in a straight line and thus couldn't do lots of damage with my torps.

Ive never seen a coward team win yet

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

There's a neat difference between theory and reality.

Not all situations permit a perfect defense or offense- If you ask me, it's how coherently your teammates follow up whatever plan you hatched. Both teams can only have so many division members- The rest are an unorganized flock prone to whimsical decisions. The first team to get their act together wins.

This is why I enjoy public matches over team battles. Both teams will suffer from a nice communication problem that needs to be resolved before anything good happens. Skill, positioning and tactics aren't too effective if there's no team to follow up.

DDs performing solo harassment behind enemy lines will get hunted down without the team taking advantage of the chaos to push

CAs will be shot to hell without ever moving a step forward

BBs will be pondering over why all the cruisers in the lane they're in are suddenly turning 180 degrees, leaving him to be burned to a crisp with no support.

CVs will struggle to assault grouped enemies with excellent AA

The unfortunate bit is that everyone's focusing on tactics for the entire team- Full communication is impossible in this server. You do what you can with what you have. Best limit those dreamlike tactics to smaller groups such as divisions.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

There's a neat difference between theory and reality.

Not all situations permit a perfect defense or offense- If you ask me, it's how coherently your teammates follow up whatever plan you hatched. Both teams can only have so many division members- The rest are an unorganized flock prone to whimsical decisions. The first team to get their act together wins.

This is why I enjoy public matches over team battles. Both teams will suffer from a nice communication problem that needs to be resolved before anything good happens. Skill, positioning and tactics aren't too effective if there's no team to follow up.

DDs performing solo harassment behind enemy lines will get hunted down without the team taking advantage of the chaos to push

CAs will be shot to hell without ever moving a step forward

BBs will be pondering over why all the cruisers in the lane they're in are suddenly turning 180 degrees, leaving him to be burned to a crisp with no support.

CVs will struggle to assault grouped enemies with excellent AA

The unfortunate bit is that everyone's focusing on tactics for the entire team- Full communication is impossible in this server. You do what you can with what you have. Best limit those dreamlike tactics to smaller groups such as divisions.

that is why we need to do a 3 ships division ..because even though 2 is good, but 3 is more powerful.

i seen it soo many times.. i go back behind enemy lines, manage to kill or damage a full HP BB into a critical, but the rest of teammates circling in base and not push. after i sunk, the BB use it repair party and the HP went up again....

61 posts
2,625 battles

I Just want to post this,

Concave usally beats Convex in RTS terms, same basic concept as "crossing the T"

VMxKCoF.png?1

Blue can fire, Orange can fire, Red is out of range. Blue has more focused fire power on Orange = WIN

Horrible Lemming Positioning is Horrible.

Plus, IJN DD would absolutely wreak havoc on such a cluster of ships.

in principle I agree, its the same principle as "Kesselschlacht" (encircling on opponent) - as the circumreference of the outer circle is bigger, a higher weapon-density per sector is reached and therefore there is an advantage. Nevertheless the old rule to attack only upon an advantage equal or better that 2:1 isn´t without reason too....

From my experience (not in game) idealy You build three mixed Task-Forces -> 2x (BB/CA/CL/DD) defensive pushing on the flanks and one as buffer/defense block/tact reserve in the center (BB/CA/CV+ 1 forward scout/sniper DD) - just requires that the divisions cooperate accordingly.

But that is an ideal which U even (if introduced) will not find on clans, so philosophiccaly only :aqua:

Additionally for improvement of gameplay (from what I have seen so far, mainly in Tier 2 - 7 though) a better sit-awareness of most of players would have much bigger impact, loads of are fixed on their picked target (e.g. kongo with 85% HP left) instead of quick shifting target as CA with 15% left sailing straight line by - foremost plight of each Captain is to reduce enemies firepower as quick as possible !!!

Edited by BBcaptain008

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

in principle I agree, its the same principle as "Kesselschlacht" (encircling on opponent) - as the circumreference of the outer circle is bigger, a higher weapon-density per sector is reached and therefore there is an advantage. Nevertheless the old rule to attack only upon an advantage equal or better that 2:1 isn´t without reason too....

From my experience (not in game) idealy You build three mixed Task-Forces -> 2x (BB/CA/CL/DD) defensive pushing on the flanks and one as buffer/defense block/tact reserve in the center (BB/CA/CV+ 1 forward scout/sniper DD) - just requires that the divisions cooperate accordingly.

But that is an ideal which U even (if introduced) will not find on clans, so philosophiccaly only :aqua:

Additionally for improvement of gameplay (from what I have seen so far, mainly in Tier 2 - 7 though) a better sit-awareness of most of players would have much bigger impact, loads of are fixed on their picked target (e.g. kongo with 85% HP left) instead of quick shifting target as CA with 15% left sailing straight line by - foremost plight of each Captain is to reduce enemies firepower as quick as possible !!!

the problem is, some player still think getting the kill ribbon is the main purpose. so if you switch from almost full HP kongo into let say a dying 15% HP Kirov, and manage to kill her, be prepared to get yell at, or even worse, got reported at. for stealing someones prey

Sign in to follow this