Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

Radar

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,949 battles

So just in a battle in my Des-Moines and used the radar and it picked up a tier 10 Shima but it didn't pick up the torpedos the DD fired at me.

Is this a bug or radar only pick up ships?

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

So just in a battle in my Des-Moines and used the radar and it picked up a tier 10 Shima but it didn't pick up the torpedos the DD fired at me.
Is this a bug or radar only pick up ships?

As Eurobeat said, RADAR only picks up ships or else Hydro would be redundant at high tiers. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Radar = Air as the medium, for detecting anything above the water

Sonar = Water as the medium, for detecting anything under the water

both have the similar method

Radar use Radio Waves while Sonar use Sound Propagation

Edited by Harpoon01

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

If radar picked up both ships and torpedoes, it would be overpowered when compared to sonar detection.

If you ask me, you can use radar to hunt for potential torpedo-firing threats. Once you're aware of possible torpedo attacks, their effectiveness decreases if you play more cautiously.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Radar is interesting:

As a Cruiser player, I curse at the long cooldown time and the really short duration it lasts when DD hunting, which is why I usually run the scout fighter instead as it lasts longer and adds to AA, plus I avoid smokescreens because of surprise torpedoes.

As a DD player I also curse whoever implemented the idea of radar as I can't sneak up and stealth fire on ships at impunity anymore and have to run, and its the worst on Ocean as there is literally no cover - on a 1 v 1 fight with a Russian or American (especially Russians with their high RoF and flat trajectory guns). When the cruiser player activates Radar its a LOOOONG 30 wait to be stealthy again

Can't have your cake and eat it too :P

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Radar is interesting:

As a Cruiser player, I curse at the long cooldown time and the really short duration it lasts when DD hunting, which is why I usually run the scout fighter instead as it lasts longer and adds to AA, plus I avoid smokescreens because of surprise torpedoes.

As a DD player I also curse whoever implemented the idea of radar as I can't sneak up and stealth fire on ships at impunity anymore and have to run, and its the worst on Ocean as there is literally no cover - on a 1 v 1 fight with a Russian or American (especially Russians with their high RoF and flat trajectory guns). When the cruiser player activates Radar its a LOOOONG 30 wait to be stealthy again

Can't have your cake and eat it too :P

i wonder if you can equip both sonar and radar at the same time?. if the dd is close use sonar then radar when she manage to get out of the sonar detection range.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

i wonder if you can equip both sonar and radar at the same time?. if the dd is close use sonar then radar when she manage to get out of the sonar detection range.

Yes, you can take both radar & sonar because sonar takes the defensive AA slot..

61 posts
2,625 battles

Sea water can absorb radar wave so nothing strange

actually, yes and no.

RADAR, as used here in Game, is defined as 3 to 10 cm wavelength (X-Band, S-Band, L-Band 9GHz-3 GHz), and so far, yes electromagnetic waves in that wavelength (10-3 cm) is partially absorbed by water - microwave, but to majority reflected.

That is why if You U use an old analog radar, around the center U always see that "scatter" area where the reflections of surrounding waves are displayed.

The problem here is that the angle of impact between the border surface of water and the air above is simply not steep enough, so the radar gets reflected and cannot detect the torps.

Vice versa, a radar antenna mounted 5 - 6 m under water (although range reduced due to higher density and wavelenght adjustment needed, e.g. to LF/VLF) might be able to pick up torps (not likely as reflective square area below wavelenght U could use under water) and ships hulls, it would not be able to detect planes, as waves get reflected at the same border surface, only the other direction....

Similar effect U see on hot days above the tarmac of streets where there are layers of air with different temperature and hence different density, light gets reflected between them too (fata morgana principle).

Militarily this effect is known and used in signal intelligence, as those layers produce a channel following the natural curve of earth´s surface, hence signals can be picked up far behind their "natural" horizon,

or from submarine warfare (saline sound channels) where temperature and/or salinity gradients cause such a reflective layer under/above which a sub can hide against hull mounted sonar, with Dip sonar - Helo -, and VDS (variable depth sonar - DDs & CA) and in some cases even Sono-Buoys it will only work if transmitter is in a different layer.... 

Edited by BBcaptain008

Sign in to follow this