Sign in to follow this  
RepublicTrooper

Iowa...tips?

10 comments in this topic

109 posts
5,101 battles

Greetings,

I got my Iowa about four months ago and fought over 100 battles in her ( it's fully upgraded now). The ship is nice: strong frontal armor, godly AA and nice shell velocity, but I'm doing terribly in it right now. I feel the guns are...unreliable. Full salvos at a broadside target at 15+ km result in either overpen, pitiful damage or huge citadel hits (very rarely). I have no problem with the Nagato (currently have 62k damage average with her). Since the guns have almost the same shell travel time, I tried to apply Nagato lead on her but her guns are not as... accurate. Is there any tip to play well in this ship?

P/S: I'm trying a concealment build in it right now. Is it viable with the current meta?

Feel free to give advice

Thanks

109 posts
5,101 battles

lol, you should try the izumo, it's all he above, but bigger, fatter, slower and has worse dispersion and guns

I'm actually grinding my way to the Yamato (currently at Nagato) but who know, maybe i'll enjoy it though :amazed:

153 posts
3,262 battles

Isnt Iowa's playstyle similar to NC?

Pretty much a mad rush to the island and play peek-a-boo at a med-close range, so that you can shorten the firefight to <13km for better dispersion?

109 posts
5,101 battles

Well the NC has a 770 m turning radius. Iowa,on the other hand, has 920 tactical turning radius, so the zig-zag firing maybe don't work well on her.

Furthermore, NC has better tier spread (VI-X) than Iowa, which faces Yamato regularly (they can pen you at flat angles for massive damage except the bow).

I prefer maneuverable ships, so I'm a noob at playing Iowa. That's why I need tips for playing this ship effectively

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

I'm suffered haven't repair credits and lost the game many times 

can't even turn away from fire fight if they shot at port bow mean death.

[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
82 posts
11,152 battles

I've played 8 games in my shiny new Iowa so far and have really struggled to get into a game and influence it in any way. Unlike the NC, which can just sail head on towards multiple enemies and deal with them comfortably, pretty much alone...the Iowa on the other hand feels far more fragile and can't go anywhere without help.

And the problem with the majority of higher tier players on the SEA server is that most are so nervous about getting into a gun fight and taking any damage. The Iowa can't seem to withstand tier 9-10 punishment like a Yamato can...at least from what I've seen anyway.

That said, I've done a bit of researh and the consensus seems to be gearing an Iowa for an AA build, which is where I'll be heading. I also won't be doing many random battles solo, i'd play with a Div mate who a) knows what they're doing and b) can support me.

My initial thoughts...as I said, 8 games in, so i'm a super noob in Iowa...

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

Just same a Kirov cruiser very weak one ,it's seem Iowa not match for even Izumo (invincible than Yamato or not?) idk where to shoot hit some citadel 

Because Izumo's armor belt cover bow until end stern can't direct hit to the deck. And Yamato maybe I know anyhow try hit at under main turret 3, I trust that have a chance for 70% for citadel (I'm not lie I have played with NC for Training Room by practice target) but nothing for sail on intake.

1 post
3,584 battles

I got a few games on the Iowa... It's quite a heavy ship and because of its length turning fights are out of the question. But there is one tactic i found quite useful and that is an Iowa may not turn fast but its engines are really powerful. So when i engage in a gunnery duel with another Iowa or Izumo I make a hard left rudder and go full reverse on the engines. The Iowa can stop very quickly causing the enemy salvo to hit the bow or miss entirely. Once the enemy has fired go full flank speed on the engines build up some speed and repeat the maneuver.

412 posts
9,236 battles

punish broadsiding scrubs and HE spammer, and rush to the enemy

just iowa being iowa :great:

you should watch Arlios vids about playing high-tier US battleship

Sign in to follow this