Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Calderhunt

Friendly CV planes following IJN Destroyers start of match... why?

19 comments in this topic

72 posts
2,544 battles

Every time I get into the match in my IJN destroyers trying to find a way to scout around the map in stealth, sometimes the allied CV player just likes to tag his own planes on my ship and it totally annoys me to no end.

What is the reason behind this? I don't see the reason why they must do so apart from inviting enemy fighters to come over and fight on top of my ship exposing my position,

If anyone knows the reason, please discuss - I need an explanation so I can work around the strategy behind it or so that I can properly tell the CV player off.

695 posts
2,153 battles

Cant say I've seen it but that would be a pain.  1 assumes the CV player is trying to help but is not.

102 posts
1,581 battles

To be honest I have no idea but when I play my CV I do help my team's DD  to fend off Bombers but.. I keep my fighters in a distance just in case. =)

Super Tester
1,310 posts

which more annoying..

being followed by friendly plane...

OR

u are being followed by enemy plane.. and there is no help from allied CV to fend that plane off until u died...

choose ur poison now :3

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

I've had this happen, and the worse part about this is- you ask him to stop it or whatever and you receive no reply...

It then dawns on you that the cv player does not understand English....

GG 

359 posts
2,819 battles

which more annoying..

OR

u are being followed by enemy plane.. and there is no help from allied CV to fend that plane off until u died...

Well, this. They probably try to be in position to protect you, don't realize they annoucing your location

72 posts
2,544 battles

which more annoying..

OR

The former is still annoying because it just means the friendly CV is wasting his planes over my location, rather than getting to another location to scout/support that's much needed elsewhere.

The latter I can turn on my AA and give it a surprise, and then lure it to friendly ships that has decent AA to get rid of it altogether.

Edited by Calderhunt

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Its worse when the friendly CV puts torps/dive bombers over you as a friendly DD. I think they want the friendly AA tbh, but its not something that the IJN dds can do well at times at some tiers and it gets them spotted when the enemy fighters coming zooming in

783 posts
4,819 battles

I'm guilty of this sometimes I admit.

But the rationale is that mostly ally DDs head to caps or at least zones at which there will be engagements and that's also likely where the enemy DDs will be going so we would want our fighters(scout) or bombers to zipline through which just so happens to be the ally DD path. Since a straight line through it is the fastest way in order to drop our bomb loads to enemies(usually DDs first since spawn is usually huddled up AA), the planes hovering around the ally DD are a direct result or consequence.

I try to not do it mid-match, but at the start, a CV can't help it and won't be able to spare much time to avoid the ally DD but get his planes across an intended area. It is especially important in domination that planes reach the cap first to discourage the enemy DD to go in to cap else he'll get sighted and bombarded.

If I ever do a mistake like that again, be assured that there is no ill-intent in the action.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

for me, i would love a back up cv fighter on my back.... 

the enemy already predict if there is a dd or not in those area (domination map) and having spooted by enemy plane really mess up your ambush plan...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

for me, i would love a back up cv fighter on my back.... 

the enemy already predict if there is a dd or not in those area (domination map) and having spooted by enemy plane really mess up your ambush plan...

Except when they don't sometime they only targeting our CV forgeting about one of use, hunting him down through flank

54 posts
7,230 battles

which more annoying..

OR

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the third and more annoying option.

CV DOESN'T hover his planes over you, but his fighters get seen and run from enemy fighters, and instead of running towards the fleet of directly away he changes course to drag the enemy planes straight over your DD and ignores pleas to stop before they hit the detection range. I have this happen a LOT in my IJN dd's and it's as annoying as hell as the enemy fighters most often stop and spend the rest of the match over me while my friendly cv planes change course over the top of me and head where they should  have to begin with (which sometimes was closer than me anyway!) and the cv never tries to remove the planes spotting me :angry:

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In any scenario, I don't mind.

Getting detected in any destroyer feels like the ultimate taboo to some, but I've gotten used to it- Mainly because dodging shells from loons overconfident in their 'shooting from 12-15km skillz' actually light them up for my allies. This gives my team the first-shot advantage whilst the rest still have their guns trained at me and may or may not be reloading.

Like, seriously. Getting broadsided with AP from a battleship at 18km away and laughing as he gets shelled by my team's battleship without being able to do anything about it is satisfying.

72 posts
2,544 battles

I'm guilty of this sometimes I admit.

But the rationale is that mostly ally DDs head to caps or at least zones at which there will be engagements and that's also likely where the enemy DDs will be going so we would want our fighters(scout) or bombers to zipline through which just so happens to be the ally DD path. Since a straight line through it is the fastest way in order to drop our bomb loads to enemies(usually DDs first since spawn is usually huddled up AA), the planes hovering around the ally DD are a direct result or consequence.

I try to not do it mid-match, but at the start, a CV can't help it and won't be able to spare much time to avoid the ally DD but get his planes across an intended area. It is especially important in domination that planes reach the cap first to discourage the enemy DD to go in to cap else he'll get sighted and bombarded.

If I ever do a mistake like that again, be assured that there is no ill-intent in the action.

With Domination it is to be expected to have allied and enemy planes hovering in the capture zone.

But anything outside of the capture zone or Standard battles... allied CVs please don't put hovering neon lights on top of my poor IJN ninja thank you very much.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the third and more annoying option.

CV DOESN'T hover his planes over you, but his fighters get seen and run from enemy fighters, and instead of running towards the fleet of directly away he changes course to drag the enemy planes straight over your DD and ignores pleas to stop before they hit the detection range. I have this happen a LOT in my IJN dd's and it's as annoying as hell as the enemy fighters most often stop and spend the rest of the match over me while my friendly cv planes change course over the top of me and head where they should  have to begin with (which sometimes was closer than me anyway!) and the cv never tries to remove the planes spotting me :angry:

Or their precious strike package that are bombers without any fighters or any means of AA hoping that your measly DD AA guns can do something about it.

Especially when they chose you instead of the nearby CA/CL because maybe they want to pin that enemy fighter on you instead. It's like getting rid of a nasty sticker that their hands can't handle by sticking it up your face.

In any scenario, I don't mind.

Getting detected in any destroyer feels like the ultimate taboo to some, but I've gotten used to it- Mainly because dodging shells from loons overconfident in their 'shooting from 12-15km skillz' actually light them up for my allies. This gives my team the first-shot advantage whilst the rest still have their guns trained at me and may or may not be reloading.

Like, seriously. Getting broadsided with AP from a battleship at 18km away and laughing as he gets shelled by my team's battleship without being able to do anything about it is satisfying.

Yes then again knowing you and your excellent torpedo sniping skills at 2km range.:trollface:

783 posts
4,819 battles

With Domination it is to be expected to have allied and enemy planes hovering in the capture zone.

But anything outside of the capture zone or Standard battles... allied CVs please don't put hovering neon lights on top of my poor IJN ninja thank you very much.

That is still the expected behavior of CVs even with Standard Battle.

With domination, the expectation is: "Discourage/Scout the Enemy DD from capping". But with Standard Battle: "Scout the Enemy DD and Damage ASAP" for the first wave of planes.

Let's take Hotspot for example. During Domination, 5 points of contention happen to be Left of A, Death Trap Point A, Open Area Point B, Islands at Point C, Right of point C. CVs will tend to put their planes at the cap points themselves. During Standard Battle, the same 5 points of contention are the usual engagement areas the teams will go though(not much at Point A itself). CVs will tend to put their planes there in the same way so it doesn't really change the fact. Those 5 points are not just for CVs; as they are also the points at which DD vs DD battles will occur as per usual in the first few minutes of the match. Much more adding to the fact that during Standard Battle at Hotspot, other ship classes will tend to meet up at their base or down the middle channel regardless of spawn, making the viable CV targets being DDs only at those 5 points which WILL split from the main fleet.

It is still the same situation whether it is a domination match or standard battle. It will all come down to your ally CVs behavior and the enemy CVs reaction if you will be scouted or not by enemy planes since it is pretty much a given that both DDs and planes will contest specific areas in a map for both teams.

72 posts
2,544 battles

That is still the expected behavior of CVs even with Standard Battle.

With domination, the expectation is: "Discourage/Scout the Enemy DD from capping". But with Standard Battle: "Scout the Enemy DD and Damage ASAP" for the first wave of planes.

Let's take Hotspot for example. During Domination, 5 points of contention happen to be Left of A, Death Trap Point A, Open Area Point B, Islands at Point C, Right of point C. CVs will tend to put their planes at the cap points themselves. During Standard Battle, the same 5 points of contention are the usual engagement areas the teams will go though(not much at Point A itself). CVs will tend to put their planes there in the same way so it doesn't really change the fact. Those 5 points are not just for CVs; as they are also the points at which DD vs DD battles will occur as per usual in the first few minutes of the match. Much more adding to the fact that during Standard Battle at Hotspot, other ship classes will tend to meet up at their base or down the middle channel regardless of spawn, making the viable CV targets being DDs only at those 5 points which WILL split from the main fleet.

It is still the same situation whether it is a domination match or standard battle. It will all come down to your ally CVs behavior and the enemy CVs reaction if you will be scouted or not by enemy planes since it is pretty much a given that both DDs and planes will contest specific areas in a map for both teams.

Yes and no.

If the CV planes, a full-fledged strike package with fighters and bombers,  are in the same area to hunt DDs, especially in Standard mode, yes I can very much understand why they are there and what they are there for "S&D DDs ASAP".

But when the planes that the CV tag me with were just fighters just to "scout the DD" while the bombers are a distance away like 10km away... that's going to be an issue.

Also (especially midgame) when my IJN DD with less than 8km surface detection radius is on a mission to sneak behind enemy lines and the allied CV decides to do a full TB/DB tag-along, which each of its squadrons has a 8km detection radius from any enemy ships/planes (from my understanding that came from here), that's going to be a huge problem for my DD as well.

By all means I'm fine with CV planes overlapping over DD areas early in-game. But if it's already midgame and/or if there's a huge vast of sea to cover like Trap and the CV decides to tag a my DD scouting at A/C with just fighters because its bombers were bombing B, I'm afraid I'm going to say that's really dumb to the core.

EDIT : Also some screenshots for example of what I'm talking about (see the minimap)... and yes I left my AA on, that's a mistake on my part there.

shot-16.05.08_17.54.24-0490.jpgshot-16.05.08_17.54.38-0794.jpgshot-16.05.08_17.54.51-0815.jpg

shot-16.05.08_17.54.24-0490.jpg

shot-16.05.08_17.54.38-0794.jpg

shot-16.05.08_17.54.51-0815.jpg

Edited by Calderhunt

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

ah yes, there is a chance that they are actually  bots

Tagging Fighter to Destroyer and let all strike force attack with automatically it still quite simple and hard to notice as a bot

Sign in to follow this