Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sukasaa

Japanese Destroyers + Torpedo Acceleration.

30 comments in this topic

102 posts
1,582 battles

I was wondering... Is it worth getting Torpedo Acceleration for Japanese Destroyers rather than picking Super-Intended? =o

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,929 battles

For my experience, anything below tier 8 isn't worth having torpedo acceleration, as the range isn't long enough to justify it. I had torpedo acceleration in my Hatsuharu, but at a 10km range reduced to 8km, it doesn't give you much chance to do what the ship is best at, which is stealth torping.

The Hatsuharu is not fast, nor has the best camo, and is vulnerable to attack from other ships so staying stealthy is a must.

In saying that, from Fubuki onwards I would say yes to the torpedo acceleration as you have longer range torpedoes and higher tier ship captains are more torpedo savvy and don't actually move in a straight line

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

In 0.5.5 patch, Fubuki, Kagerou, and Shimakaze have other torpedo option that have very fast speed in the cost of range

Eliminates the need of that skill so you can pick super intendent instead

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,682 battles

In 0.5.5 patch, Fubuki, Kagerou, and Shimakaze have other torpedo option that have very fast speed in the cost of range

As this guy states, you have other torpedoes that does the same thing without spending your precious skill points.

The only ship I find TA useful (without making big compromises) in 0.5.5 is Gearing.

The skill is basically for CVs, very few DDs could make good use of it when it was introduced.

1,140 posts

my kagero has TA equipped

as a result.... new type F3 torpedo has 81 knot and 6.4 km range

it's design for a hardcore DD player only I'll tell you...

I try a few match with that, it so damn difficult to play... =w='a

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

You can use torpedo acceleration starting with Mutsuki. However, I must tell you that because torpedo acceleration cuts the maximum range, you have to play in a veeery risky fashion. Fighting against IJN cruisers with a top speed of 35kt and the ever-increasing speed of SN destroyers mean that you have to accept that sometimes not using torpedoes as a panic button always works.

Personally, I fight in an extremely aggressive fashion that rarely uses smoke and most of my torpedo kills come at ranges <4km away- Torp acceleration guarantees little chances for them to escape.

You also have to bear in mind that the slower the torpedoes are, the easier they are to dodge, and in some cases, detect. Cruisers tend to use fighter planes as passive reconnaissance for torpedoes and destroyers, so you'll have to be quite adept at timing your launches.

The Hatsuharu is not fast, nor has the best camo, and is vulnerable to attack from other ships so staying stealthy is a must.

In saying that, from Fubuki onwards I would say yes to the torpedo acceleration as you have longer range torpedoes and higher tier ship captains are more torpedo savvy and don't actually move in a straight line

I disagree.

Hatsu-chan is da bes gunboat. I purposely shoot at maximum range to let the enemy know I'm there. As you said, thanks to those captains being very torpedo-phobic, they'll back off from a push- And any torps I fire would be quite useless.

Of course, dodging the giant shells coming from more than 3 ships who very much dislike destroyers is another thing.

784 posts
4,856 battles

Hatsu-chan is da bes gunboat. I purposely shoot at maximum range to let the enemy know I'm there. As you said, thanks to those captains being very torpedo-phobic, they'll back off from a push- And any torps I fire would be quite useless.

Of course, dodging the giant shells coming from more than 3 ships who very much dislike destroyers is another thing.

Hey, I do this too! The Thrill of dodging shells from various ships from 9-14km away from me is something I live for. Sometimes I open fire first in one flank to catch every enemy's attention then they all shoot at me removing their stealth.

It may be arguable if that actually is good for me or the team, but the thrill of dodging while some shells hit my paint is my idea of fun personally.

EDIT: (Watching the enemy frantically turn away when I break concealment and turn away too thinking I dropped some fish is also a bonus)

Edited by SZYZWY

211 posts
9,939 battles

my kagero has TA equipped

as a result.... new type F3 torpedo has 81 knot and 6.4 km range

it's design for a hardcore DD player only I'll tell you...

I try a few match with that, it so damn difficult to play... =w='a

LoL, i want to see these Torps in action ><

580 posts
1,602 battles

Simply put you can... Just as long as the Detection Range does not overlap the Torpedo Range but it all depends on how much risk you're willing to take... I have TA on my Mutsuki so my 10km torpedo range is reduced to 8km and the Detection range of the Mutsuki is around 6km so I have a 2km buffer zone to ninja torp but 2km is hairy (a lot can happen in that small a zone) but I can live with that... Question is, can you??

Superintendent is a safe choice since you'll get 3 smoke screens and 3 speed boosts which I end up using both all up in a match... Having Superintendent does expand your tactical choices and can make any IJN DD very deadly... So no question there, nothing really wrong if you take Superintendent...

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Simply put you can... Just as long as the Detection Range does not overlap the Torpedo Range but it all depends on how much risk you're willing to take... I have TA on my Mutsuki so my 10km torpedo range is reduced to 8km and the Detection range of the Mutsuki is around 6km so I have a 2km buffer zone to ninja torp but 2km is hairy (a lot can happen in that small a zone) but I can live with that... Question is, can you??

Superintendent is a safe choice since you'll get 3 smoke screens and 3 speed boosts which I end up using both all up in a match... Having Superintendent does expand your tactical choices and can make any IJN DD very deadly... So no question there, nothing really wrong if you take Superintendent...

Why not both?

I don't even have AFT or any T4 captain skill on Bucky yet- Getting CE will probably take several hundred more battles, but still...

580 posts
1,602 battles

Why not both?

I don't even have AFT or any T4 captain skill on Bucky yet- Getting CE will probably take several hundred more battles, but still...

Now there's a sensible thought... I've been using the same IJN DD captain since I started on the Wakatake so with that much EXP I got both and I plan to use that same dude all the way to the Shimakaze, God willing...

56 posts
4 battles

I still find TA useful once you get past Tier 8.

On the Shimakaze, I have the Type 93 Model 3s equipped with TA for 9.6km range and 72knot speed.

Don't think I've ever had a time where I needed one more smoke or speed boost charge that Superintendent would have given me.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Ugh, if only they increase Zao torp to 10km

8km is too painful with Radar swarm the high tier

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
1,310 posts

Hey, I do this too! The Thrill of dodging shells from various ships from 9-14km away from me is something I live for. Sometimes I open fire first in one flank to catch every enemy's attention then they all shoot at me removing their stealth.

It may be arguable if that actually is good for me or the team, but the thrill of dodging while some shells hit my paint is my idea of fun personally.

EDIT: (Watching the enemy frantically turn away when I break concealment and turn away too thinking I dropped some fish is also a bonus)

i'll just repost this

It would be a little bit harder to record a good match when over 2/3 of your matches both teams want to skirt around at their max firing range and never engage the enemy.

well its not that hard...

how?

1. play DD

2. get spotted

3. turn WoWs into Touhou~

life of IJN DD

u can,

the the problem is, can u do it effectively?

mutsuki can go with 2km bufferzone

that because she still has that SUPERB manouverability... super tight turn radius, blazingly fast rudder shift

after that.. its getting hellish

higher tier IJN DD has HUGE turn radius that as wide as cruiser radius

in my shimakaze, 8km is as close as i usually go before start turning...

since turning at 7km will gives u [DETECTED] icon poped out in the middle of turning

as for tier 3 skills

getting either superintendent, TA, or vigilance is never wrong.

but dont get 2 or 3 of them...

it will make u harder to get CE later.. if u want the second tier 3 skill. get it after u got CE.

well its ur call. if u are premium user with premium acc+ship that can train the captain easily, its ur choice.

but as free player that can only train the captain with her own ship. getting CE 1st should be the top priority

Edited by ReNation

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
13,019 battles

I see the TA commander skill as a wasted skill now.

WG are trying to (have) nerf the higher tier DD torp spam

high tier Battles with 6.4 km torp range with radar lol IJN DD have no chance of surviving or getting away once they are spotted.

I'm at the point of stopping the grind for IJN DDs now.

yeah sure you can still use the older torpedos with greater range but now that they get spotted sooner the chances of hitting anything with them is about zero.

784 posts
4,856 battles

I see the TA commander skill as a wasted skill now.

WG are trying to (have) nerf the higher tier DD torp spam

high tier Battles with 6.4 km torp range with radar lol IJN DD have no chance of surviving or getting away once they are spotted.

I'm at the point of stopping the grind for IJN DDs now.

yeah sure you can still use the older torpedos with greater range but now that they get spotted sooner the chances of hitting anything with them is about zero.

The 12km torps on Shima imo are the best of the lot for now where TA is still usable if the player wants(9.6km still gives wiggle room as long as the target ain't a radar carrying CA).

They are just a slight improvement of the new torps on Fubuki(the Ibuki ones).

The Ibuki torps from my experience were plenty good.

As long as the torps get detected when the enemy's rudder is still neutral, a hit is plenty guaranteed.

The problem is with Kagero where her best torps are also the Ibuki ones which result in a larger reload time than Fubuki. (Essentially playing a nerfed Fubuki)

F3's are good and all but 8km is... iffy especially with a lot of maneuvering going on. That and I feel for the TA specced captains, but there are rumors that 0.5.6 will change High tier DDs once again and that a Captain Respec may be offered.

451 posts
6,948 battles

My kagero switched from the 2nd torpedo to the stock torpedo as a result of the new changes. The stock torpedo without TA is now the best torpedo setup on kagero.

1,140 posts

LoL, i want to see these Torps in action ><

Same I do wish to see those in action. =)

you do fail more than you do good in that, believe me T_T

get close to torp at 6.4 km ---> enemy CA "hmm... I'm spot but nobody here... must be DD" ---> hit radar! ----> me : spotted!! (alarm sound as Metal gear) ----> ah ha! there you are! ----> crap! smoke time! .... shit! smoke can't cover radar!! ----> The end....

if it's use against BB, they have zero chance to dodge 81 knot torpedo -- true

but you have to get pass enemy tier CA and DD or plane first.... that suck...

so.... believe me, if you have TA, don't use F3 torp, unless play for fun.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i believe faster torpedo are easier to spot too because "reasons"

so not only this skill reduce the torpedo range, it also make it easier to stop by enemies thus,allow them to react earlier than intended.

784 posts
4,856 battles

i believe faster torpedo are easier to spot too because "reasons"

so not only this skill reduce the torpedo range, it also make it easier to stop by enemies thus,allow them to react earlier than intended.

Someone did a calculation on the NA forum if the +5knots vs +detection% is worth it and it was! (The result was that the reaction time the enemy dodging got was lessened by a few % depending on the torp )

Alas, TA is only mildly useful to those who like to live life dangerously DDs and CVs. Otherwise, for wiggling room, better not to take them at all.

1,140 posts

is case that you don't know, right now you can see torpedo detection in start at port now

try check TA and none TA with same torpedoe and see if skill TA really increase  torp detection.

I don't have gold to reset commander skill to check that out, =w=

with TA , f3 type torp 81 knot has detection at 1.9 km

shot-16.05.06_02.26.11-0838.jpg

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Someone did a calculation on the NA forum if the +5knots vs +detection% is worth it and it was! (The result was that the reaction time the enemy dodging got was lessened by a few % depending on the torp )

Alas, TA is only mildly useful to those who like to live life dangerously DDs and CVs. Otherwise, for wiggling room, better not to take them at all.

i see, so it depends on one's play-style. at first i was thinking of using it to buff fubuki 15km slow torpedo down to 12ish faster torpedo but, they completely change the torpedoes on fubuki,kagerou and shimashima.

784 posts
4,856 battles

i see, so it depends on one's play-style. at first i was thinking of using it to buff fubuki 15km slow torpedo down to 12ish faster torpedo but, they completely change the torpedoes on fubuki,kagerou and shimashima.

Fubuki is a rather good example of how torp loadouts "should" look like so there's a choice. Her stock is a 10km one and is still good. No need to even rush/free exp the grind since it really is decent.

The two upgrade choices are the +5km, -5knts torps while the new Ibuki ones that give +dmg, +5knts torps, slower reload with respect to the stock ones. Just from this, we already get two good choices that suit a playstyle the player wants to use with the torps.

TA also works wonderful on both of them if you want the playstyle of 72 knots torps at 8km (pseudo F3) for the Ibuki ones, or upgrading your stock 10km torps up to 12km torps (a slightly inferior Shima 12km torp) with no reduction in speed and visibility compared to stock with no TA.

I just wish Kagero would get changed next patch. As it stands, she's less of a torpedo boat than Fubuki is. (8 vs 9 torps, longer reload, 2 launchers only)

Sign in to follow this