You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Brendon_2015

Commanders question

8 comments in this topic

24 posts
549 battles

Hi guys, Do I need to restart a new commander at low tier when ever I upgrade a ship? I'm only tier 4, (Myogi, Karlsruche (shudder) and Kuma) so wondering if it's simpler to just get a new commander. I'm a little concerned that without situational awareness until the retraining is finished I'm going to get crucified without it.

thanks

24 posts
549 battles

Thanks Dead man, How does the retraining work though. Do the skills gradually increase as you retrain the commander (hoping for this) or are they either non-effective (yikes) or at a permanently reduced rate (this concerns me). I'm use to Blitz which has the crews ability improve as you train them so as your % increases so does your crews ability.

I'm trying to get this right now as I'm trying both ways, my German cruiser has a retrained captain however my 2 IJN captains are refreshed as +​1.

Thanks

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Retraining is basically the time to advance to the next level (Excluding your exp) divided by two. Commander skills are 50% effective. Skills that cannot be divided such as situational awareness and superintendent will be ineffective.

You can shorter the retraining time by purchasing the 50% (1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4) retraining with credits.

In short, you have to grind at least 1/2 to 1/4 of your commander's base promotion exp to retrain your captain completely.

24 posts
549 battles

Yikes, so no situational awareness then until they're fully retrained. Hmmm... I guess they really want you to use gold....

It may be simpler for me to start them again from scratch during my early learning phase then as you really need that early detection. It's either that or hang at the back but alas everything else seems to out range me. :(

Thanks

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

until tier 5, i always buy a new commander. 

also, i have found a way to kinda cheated the retraining amount.

The situation is : on my Gnevny, a level 8 commander with 24.500/25.000 experience point. i need another 3.000 experience to research Ognevoi. The normal way is to just playing until i get those 3.000 exp and then retraining the commander using the 200.000 credits ( i dont want to use doublon)

if i do that, then my commander will be a level 9 commander and the poin it need to retraining is : 37.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 9.250

so i send that commander into reserve, and hire a new commander and pay 10.000 credit to get 1 point that i use in Situational Awareness:. play until i get the remaining 3.000 exp and research .Ognevoi

I then put the commander from the reserve list into Ognevoi. and pay 200.000 credit to get 25.000 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 6.250 (less exp need to retraining mean you will get a fuctional commander more faster right?)

this method will give more impact on higher level commander. so my advice is to count the remaining exp for your next tier ship, compare with your commander point and plan ahead...

dead_man_walking made a super useful thread (link already posted by him above) that you can use as your guides 

Additional : I did use Doublon for retraining when i reach Tier 7. Stock Nagato with commander who still in re-training period means HELL in match

Edited by XP_On

Super Tester
1,310 posts

well

dont u know that. i retrain my DD commander using credits only until tier 9.. (kagero and udaloi)

yes.. its kind of hell without SA..

but we already have SA by default..

its ur eyes, and minimap :3

use that as guidance.. the rest is feeling.. whether u are detected or not.. just use feeling until ur commander is fully retrained...

also flag that u got from confederate (dealing to 6 enemy ship in match with minimum damage atleast 20% of each ship hp) will help retraining a LOT

216 posts
2,239 battles

Hi guys, Do I need to restart a new commander at low tier when ever I upgrade a ship? I'm only tier 4, (Myogi, Karlsruche (shudder) and Kuma) so wondering if it's simpler to just get a new commander. I'm a little concerned that without situational awareness until the retraining is finished I'm going to get crucified without it.

thanks

I love how even though Brendon_2015 is new that even he can tell that the Karl is a ship to despair over.