You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_intervention

Landing Citadels at CQC using Hipper

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,145 battles

Hey there! I've been wondering for a while now, Is the straight arc of Hipper's shells when in CQC that hard to land? I manage to land multiple Citadels usually when in IJN/USN Cruisers on CQC, but with Hipper, I only get around 2 or 3 per salvo.

Oh and I meant whenever the enemy's showing his broadside :playing:

I understand that Hipper's not initially for CQC, But there are always situations that call of it, especially with them torps and sonar. :angry:

783 posts
4,810 battles

Hey there! I've been wondering for a while now, Is the straight arc of Hipper's shells when in CQC that hard to land? I manage to land multiple Citadels usually when in IJN/USN Cruisers on CQC, but with Hipper, I only get around 2 or 3 per salvo.

Oh and I meant whenever the enemy's showing his broadside :playing:

I understand that Hipper's not initially for CQC, But there are always situations that call of it, especially with them torps and sonar. :angry:

I don't really have much KM experience, but if Karlsruhe is any indication, I have better chances of citadels at CQC range by raising my shots a little higher than the water line than I would at mid-long range.

Hipper is actually the better T8 CA for CQC on paper. Has the best turret traverse and really good torpedo arcs too. (Getting into CQCs and Knife Fights at that tier is another story though) I think she also has the most HP too and decent armor.

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles

nope, best T8 CA for CQC i has got to be atago, hipper's AP bounces at pretty low angles, so i'd say you have to hold your shots until you have the perfect angle, force them to turn with torps, and put the fear of KM AP into them :izmena:

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,145 battles

I don't really have much KM experience, but if Karlsruhe is any indication, I have better chances of citadels at CQC range by raising my shots a little higher than the water line than I would at mid-long range.

Alright, thanks! will try that. Lately I've stopped firing in salvo because it's so kinda hard to land a citadel, and switched to firing in sequence. still couldn't "feel" it well.

Hipper is actually the better T8 CA for CQC on paper. Has the best turret traverse and really good torpedo arcs too. (Getting into CQCs and Knife Fights at that tier is another story though) I think she also has the most HP too and decent armor.

Aye, But as you have said, it's another story at this tier. The more skilled players I encountered at around 7-9km turned their backs quickly just as I emerged in their sights, presenting their asses to me while raining me with HE, and there I was, not being able to outdamage them cause my HE is impotent, and they won't ever show me their sides :(

It spells death to the enemies if it's a knife fight though :playing::izmena:

nope, best T8 CA for CQC i has got to be atago, hipper's AP bounces at pretty low angles, so i'd say you have to hold your shots until you have the perfect angle, force them to turn with torps, and put the fear of KM AP into them :izmena:

HAHA Viable indeed, but I never thought of using my torps to make the enemy turn like that, Noted. thanks! lol

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

you always have your trusted torpedo for CQC  which USN cruiser doesn't have. seriously, usn are under-powered now. be at long range and CQC they hardly stand a chance.

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles

nah, USN's AP is way too OP, they have better penetration values then KM AP, since they can citadel other CAs or even BBs at a pretty steep angle, while KM's AP will just make bouncing noises and pretty sparks on any angled ship, they just have to hold their shots and use concealment 

153 posts
3,262 battles

I believe hipper's shell arc is lower than that of the KM ships before her.. so maybe try aiming at slightly higher than the waterline mark?

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

HAHA Viable indeed, but I never thought of using my torps to make the enemy turn like that, Noted. thanks! lol

I found Torps on the German cruisers are good for flushing out DD from their smoke screens( I've heavily damaged and even sunk at least one in smoke from my Yorck ),or making the enemy turn when they don't want to.

You've got a 6km range on them,but even if you launch at 7km,if they don't take notice of how far you were away when launching or don't know what the range is they will turn anyway.