Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Is faster torpedo speed skill a must have for USN carriers ?

6 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi, all I want to ask a question about the faster torpedo speed captain skill. I noticed that almost all of the carrier captains have been trained to have this skill. Do you guys really think that the skill is a must have for carriers? Especially the USN line. I do not use the skill because I prefer to get close and personal with my torpedoes bomber and I don't find myself to be at a disadvantage when dropping torpedoes. 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

It's not really a must-have on USN carriers like it is on IJN ones, if you're good enough with manual drops. But it definitely does make landing torpedo hits easier and pays off at the higher tiers.

359 posts
2,819 battles

USN CV has diverging torps drop. Drop too far? more likely to evade and more likely to miss.(Edit: drop too close, torps not armed, the skill result in more distance need to arm) I regretted invest this skill in USN CV.

Problem is you don't have much alternatives.  Dogfigth is very situational (Saipan? You most likely win anyway, unless got strafe.) High alert also feel expensive. More consumable? not valid till tier 8.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

USN CV has diverging torps drop. Drop too far? more likely to evade and more likely to miss. I regretted invest this skill in USN CV.

Problem is you don't have much alternatives.  Dogfigth is very situational (Saipan? You most likely win anyway, unless got strafe.) High alert also feel expensive. More consumable? not valid till tier 8.

I am using the Lady Lex so I took faster repair rate. I usually run with a strike loadout so I want my AA and damage repair to be the best that it can be. Regardless, thank you for your opinion

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Hi, all I want to ask a question about the faster torpedo speed captain skill. I noticed that almost all of the carrier captains have been trained to have this skill. Do you guys really think that the skill is a must have for carriers? Especially the USN line. I do not use the skill because I prefer to get close and personal with my torpedoes bomber and I don't find myself to be at a disadvantage when dropping torpedoes. 

according to Ichase video, its not recommended for USN cv since this skill also increase rearming distance of torpedo.

783 posts
4,826 battles

As an IJN CV captain, the torp accel skill helps hitting DDs more and makes mid range manual drops more viable(in an attempt to hit 3/4 against high tier cruisers and battleships)

For a USN CV however, torp accel reduces their advantage of a shorter rearm time(in this case distance) and theoretically gives the arming torps a wider spread resulting in less hits. It also helps little in targeting DDs due to the nature of the spread. Overall, as said above, I don't recommend taking this skill.

(For the 3rd row, it would be either High Alert or Dogfighting. Dogfighting if you are up against Saipans or something but for a more general case, high alert does well)

Sign in to follow this