Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Dont want to jump the gun and make Guesses about weather, but...

22 comments in this topic

[AE]
202 posts
9,623 battles

Not sure why the "Loading" screen will mention poor weather, but then in game normal weather. Seems just as pointless in what is a totally pointless screen. What pops up in MM in game has NOTHING to do with what cycles through the loading screen. Not even close. Why mention poor weather if weather is to be normal? Am I missing something in the English translation?

Next a cyclone in North map. Reduced all visibility down to 8km..... Good luck trying to survive against DDs then. I mean seriously, if it wasn't bad enough with torps spamming everywhere, if nobody can see further than 8km then others will not spot those pesky DDs then (Radar maybe helps?). So most times a cyclone pops up expect DDs to simply drive up and put 8 torps in your side.  Seriously, am I missing something? Takes several ships to kill one DD quickly, so they will have a significantly easier time of rushing BBs.

784 posts
4,856 battles

Not sure why the "Loading" screen will mention poor weather, but then in game normal weather. Seems just as pointless in what is a totally pointless screen. What pops up in MM in game has NOTHING to do with what cycles through the loading screen. Not even close. Why mention poor weather if weather is to be normal? Am I missing something in the English translation?

Next a cyclone in North map. Reduced all visibility down to 8km..... Good luck trying to survive against DDs then. I mean seriously, if it wasn't bad enough with torps spamming everywhere, if nobody can see further than 8km then others will not spot those pesky DDs then (Radar maybe helps?). So most times a cyclone pops up expect DDs to simply drive up and put 8 torps in your side.  Seriously, am I missing something? Takes several ships to kill one DD quickly, so they will have a significantly easier time of rushing BBs.

DDs can get close to you without the cyclone anyway. Detection ranges from 5-7km for the usual ones so there's literally no merit for them in the reduced visibility.

Edit: Rendering on the other hand is a different story. IMO cruisers benefit the most from cyclone due to versatility but even that isn't game breaking.

Edited by SZYZWY

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

There are 2 kind of Weather effect .... 

The normal one when raining at start of the map and back to normal condition when count down end ... this has no effect to the game at all. maybe they just add for us to know there nothing wrong with your screen.

the second one is Cyclone. I think visibility will impact on Long range BB and CV more than DD since most of DD will stay stealth over 8km even clear sky ... only better for them is getting spotted by plane and the invis fire from long range.

and the Cyclone will not alway there ... and it duration are also random ... so if it end in 2 min .. the ship that come close will end up just being a bigger target for BB

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
258 posts
13,364 battles

Would heavy weather evolve into affecting the performance of smaller ships such as reduced maximum speed and increased torpedo reload times for example along with visibility factors.

165 posts
7,985 battles

I think they are testing for feedback.  Personally I would love a proper ocean that also moves up and down with surge and have waves that really rock you around but I don't think it would happen.

Be nice to also have currents that move around randomly, could lose or gain say 5kts depending if you are moving against it or with it.  And reefs would be great for flooding damage.

Anyway I digress, I would say they are testing the waters and more is yet to come.  If they did implement proper storms you could argue that the bigger ships would be thrown around less.  Then again with big waves could snipe between the surge!

[MEGA]
4,667 posts
17,947 battles

I would think the ones who get the most benifits from the wheather is the BB players, espically derpitz A.K.A the king of CQC, battleship poping up 8 km from a unsuspecting CA= dead CA

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,291 battles

Well, let me tell you. Even if without cyclone, you won't be able to see an incoming DD. They only appear at the range of 5 to 7.7 km. And with Cyclone smart players can take advantage of that and sneak his big fat battleship through a gap without being spotted. Imagine playing an Ibuki and suddenly a Yamato appears in less than 8 km and you are giving him full broadside... Ouch!

Beta Tester
28 posts
4,811 battles

only if his turrents are pointing the right way   launch all torps 

and turn away   crusiers become dds for a few minutes  :)

[MEGA]
4,667 posts
17,947 battles

Ouch indeed lewd chan, but the wost ship to get a full broad side from at a 8km is a montana, think point blank shot gun, yamato might not be fast enough to to turn it's turrets to hit you, but a montana sure can

Edited by drakon233

403 posts
8,352 battles

With the right crew skills even Japanese cruisers can have slighty less than 10km detection range, so its not like they need the storm for invisible torping either

Alpha Tester
12 posts
1,853 battles

Do you know whats scary at 8km?

Battleships. Because at that range they dont miss.

Being that battleship at 8km is one of my favourite things to do. During my grind through the New Mexico I managed this a couple of times with stupidly hilarious success.

784 posts
4,856 battles

I guess pretty much can reconcile that cyclone is not a direct buff/nerf to any class.

Correct me on this if I understand this wrong: Cyclone only disables rendering of the enemy ship from what I understand but it will still be seen on the map if the ship is 'seen'. (if a Zao is 9km close, it's cruiser icon will show up on the map but will not be rendered and named. So the only info is that a cruiser is 9km close.)

Anyone care to add to this list of supposed 'advantages'.

IJN DDs can torp the area without the help of the white guide. USN DDs will get into knife fights more comfortably as enemy support is more unlikely to interfere. Somewhat the same for VMF DDs to a lesser extent.

Cruisers overall get better chances to end up in brawls. USN will have their relatively faster turret traverse, their arcs won't affect them as much at that close range. IJN will both have torps and good HE to tackle angling brawls. KM imo would gain the most advantage with more viable torp angles and flatter arcs for AP penetration. VMF would be able to use their super short ranged torps too.

For Battleships, IJN secondaries would be more useful while the USN have better turret traverse to account for surprise detections better.

CVs are generally nerfed but with air detection limits, CV sniping would be really hard to pull off.

Beta Tester
1,170 posts
7,716 battles

The cyclone effect was quite fun on the Test Server. It's not that much of an impact gameplay-wise as on North the fights around the middle areas are usually close-range anyway. The main difference will be noticed by players who rely on teammates spotting for them. ie. Long-range snipers will have no targets.

Hopefully it will promote a little more aggression from the more passive players.

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

But the big question is-

Does the cyclone destroy the tiny wee houses dotted around on the islands?

If so, can there be disaster relief organized for the children? 

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
13,006 battles

Don't forget the weather effects wont be for the whole battle some only last a few mins and some wont turn up until 5-10 into battle and might last 5 min only.

so the weather effects wont last the whole 20 min of the battle.

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,151 battles

I had a really fun experience on the test server. One instance when I was getting my ass whopped by the enemy, then thankfully the storm came, hid me well :hiding:

Then another case when during the storm at North map, I, on a NoCar that time, pushed to the middle along with a Montana when we suddenly encountered a Yamato and another NC from around 7.8km. We were all showing our broadsides to one another when that happened, and our guns incidentally aimed to the perfect direction. seconds later I sank along with the NC, with a bit of damage dealt on the Yamato. Moments later Montana then proceed on finishing Yamato.  Very thrilling experience :D

[R0GUE]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,906 battles

But the big question is-

Does the cyclone destroy the tiny wee houses dotted around on the islands?

If so, can there be disaster relief organized for the children? 

#PrayForNorth

#CycloneRelief

#HelpTheChildren

Sign in to follow this