You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

HMS Campbeltown

11 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,374 battles

I recently made my first premium purchase of the HMS Campeltown. Who else has one and what do they think of her? 

So far I've only played a couple of co op games to see how she handles so am still forming my opinion, but in my limited experience I can so far say;

-Took a hit in the rear magazine 2mins into the first battle. Not off to a good start.

-The guns are terrible. 

- Torpedo distance is good as you can attack outside detection range, but there's only 1x triple tube on each side. Plus they take ages to reload, and for a destroyer with light torpedo armament and light on guns- it should really be faster to compensate. 

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

It would be easier for those who have used to the playstyle of Wakatake. Soup Can is basically a Wakatake... A downgrade Wakatake...

Play like a Wakatake. That means avoid dogfighting with other destroyer. Even an Umikaze would out-gun you so DON'T! 

Don't use ambush tactic unless the enemy ship is on low health. Keep in mind that even a full salvo wouldn't be enough to sink a full health St. Louis. 

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

156 posts
3,374 battles

Funny you should say that.. dogfighting with destroyers is pretty much all I've managed to do. Despite trying to avoid them, it always has come down to a knife fight with another DD. Whether it's inexperience on our parts, we are going around in circles waiting for our tubes to reload again to break the stalemate- and with this DD, the reload time is painful. 

On more than one occasion I've been in perfect firing position where a torpedo hit would be a pretty sure thing- only to find I'm still waiting for it to reload.... and waiting 

All up I like the destroyer, and am pretty tolerant of it's misgivings. I'll learn the captain skills to get the reload time down a bit and then hopefully I can be a little more effective in battle. 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Funny you should say that.. dogfighting with destroyers is pretty much all I've managed to do. Despite trying to avoid them, it always has come down to a knife fight with another DD. Whether it's inexperience on our parts, we are going around in circles waiting for our tubes to reload again to break the stalemate- and with this DD, the reload time is painful. 

On more than one occasion I've been in perfect firing position where a torpedo hit would be a pretty sure thing- only to find I'm still waiting for it to reload.... and waiting 

All up I like the destroyer, and am pretty tolerant of it's misgivings. I'll learn the captain skills to get the reload time down a bit and then hopefully I can be a little more effective in battle. 

Guns, they are not just pretty decorations to look at for ALL destroyers lol

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Please don't correct them Dead, I like to rack up kills on DD's that forget they have guns.

156 posts
3,374 battles

This destroyer has 3 guns. 1 in the centre, and one on either side. Which means at any one time you can only bring 2 of them onto a target. Doesn't do much in the way of damage, and for the most part will take a long time to sink a DD unless you get lucky and hit a sweet spot, but swinging violently from side to side trying to avoid his torpedoes makes precise aiming difficult.