Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Boltergeist

Why Does the Atlanta...

46 comments in this topic

575 posts
5,354 battles

...have a range of 4.5 km on the Mk15  mod 3 torpedoes, while the Benson with the exact same torpedoes, have a 9.2km range and 10 second faster reload? Why does it not have the same as the Benson? It is bad enough that the Atlanta has to close to 8km to have a chance to hit, but doesn't have a chance in hell to use it's torpedoes. Don't tell me it was for balance, because that is a load of excrement and I will not buy it. Same torpedo on one class, it will have the exact same range on another. A MK15 Mod 3 torpedo characteristics do not change because it is put on another ship. WG needs to fix the orbital arcs on the DP guns that the Atlanta uses. Firing to the moon at range is rather ridiculous. Did the devs actually look at how these guns really worked? Did they actually speak with US naval experts and US veterans who fought these guns? Or did they just decide, this is cool, lets limit this ship's ability to do anything until it is eyeball range of another? Personally, I believe the later. The Atlanta by far, is the worst ship in this game. I'd almost demand my money back but I know WG won't give me scat back because they don't care.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

A good read about the 'nerf' of the US 127mm DP guns.

The Biggest Nerf That Never Happened

One thing is for certain -- the 127mm never flew out to range faster in Closed Beta than they do currently.  That nerf is a complete myth.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

"Atlanta is an abomination that desperately people cries about, because they spend 40 dollars for something that they don't know how to play"

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Actually, they made the atlanta's arc for forgiving now. The shells used to be very slow and follows a much higher trajectory from my memory so it's a lot easier now.

Anyway, atlanta is a dedicated support ship and is one of my most difficult ship to bring out its full potential. This is why I don't recommend newbies buying atlanta, better go for atago or better don't buy anything in this game.

Edited by Deicide

575 posts
5,354 battles

Please enough of your feign, ad hominem, and blatant insults. I have 135 battles in the Atlanta (combined Co-Op and PVP). I fully understand and know how to use this ship. I asked WG Devs a question. And you want to insult me with this bullscat? [Content removed]. Typical response from SEA players who deem themselves god's of all things WG from SEA server.

General insults, profanity evasion. Post edited, user warned.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Please enough of your feign, ad hominem, and blatant insults. I have 135 battles in the Atlanta (combined Co-Op and PVP). I fully understand and know how to use this ship. I asked WG Devs a question. And you want to insult me with this bullscat? [Content removed]. Typical response from SEA players who deem themselves god's of all things WG from SEA server.

Don't mind them. Some of them don't even have a good stat and even more, they don't even have the freaking ship :teethhappy:. This is why stat is important, so you can determine if someone is just all talk and no real moves/experience, just ALL TALK. :B

Quote updated.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

Your thread highlighted these:

1) Revoking the US DP Gun "nerf"

2) Atlanta needs more torpedo range.

3) Atlanta being worst ship

4) You want your money back

1) The 127mm US DP nerf never happened. Read my link by LWM.

2) Atlanta's firing torpedoes, even at 9.2 km, requires you to go broadside due to that angle. Whilst being spotted. Sure the range buff will be nice but island hugging is what the Atlanta does. The torpedoes are pretty much a last resort. 4.5km personally works for me when some guy gets really mad and tries to sink me by going to my island.

3) On 3/4 servers its true. Except for 1. The Russian server. Make of that as you will.

4) You answered yourself

View PostRebelliousYankee, on 26 April 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I know WG won't give me scat back because they don't care.

I personally have my Atlanta and I love her. Absolutely wrecks destroyers and planes.

A wonderful support ship? Definitely.

Solo Carry Rekt All ship? Not so much.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

I've never played the Atlanta, but I've been killed many times by them.

So somewhere,somehow, players have worked out how to make the best of them. Either that, or i'm terribad

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

If you're that highly dependent on torpedoes then you're still don't know how to use the ship..

Say whatever you want, but Atlanta's orbital arc is what makes it special.. It can shoot over islands while hugging it with no risk of being shot back..

Alternatively you can ask DD players their opinion on Atlanta..

And yes, just like what Deathskyz said, it cannot solo carry, this ain't Dota 2 [insert image of Faceless Void here]

Most other people view that video then learn to make the Atlanta work rather than posting complaints..

Yes, i made that video.. And yes, i didn't mention that you should use its torpedoes..

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Atlanta is a great premium ship. I always do well in it, and it probably took the least number of battles to get used to, compared to all my other premium boats.

Yes it's slow, 32.5 knots, yes its gun calibre is small, 127mm, yes its arc is incredible and leaves the Earths atmosphere, yes it's torps are suicidal, yes it's gun range is less than the Cheatland, (and that's WITH the Captains skill bonus range),

yes, its gun turrets break when you look at them funny, yes it has no armour, yes it's very hard to get accuracy with the stream of fire you reign down, BUT......

Somehow, it works!.

Turret traverse very fast. Fast ROF, Excellent AA with unlimited focus fire resets, and many double barrel guns can fire in a single salvo.

And with the new buff coming to turrets survivability, it should improve a little.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

If you're that highly dependent on torpedoes then you're still don't know how to use the ship..

Say whatever you want, but Atlanta's orbital arc is what makes it special.. It can shoot over islands while hugging it with no risk of being shot back..

Alternatively you can ask DD players their opinion on Atlanta..

And yes, just like what Deathskyz said, it cannot solo carry, this ain't Dota 2 [insert image of Faceless Void here]

Most other people view that video then learn to make the Atlanta work rather than posting complaints..

Yes, i made that video.. And yes, i didn't mention that you should use its torpedoes..

The trouble with trying to shoot over islands, is the bug where the island is "grabbing" the shots. Hopefully they fix it *soon.

*Soon is a Wg TM.:trollface:

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Please enough of your feign, ad hominem, and blatant insults. I have 135 battles in the Atlanta (combined Co-Op and PVP). I fully understand and know how to use this ship. I asked WG Devs a question. And you want to insult me with this bullscat? Fornicate and Expire. Typical response from SEA players who deem themselves god's of all things WG from SEA server.

135 battles with Atlanta yet you still have so much stuffs to complain and M8 what does this game got to do with IRL US Naval Experts when this is just a MMO Warship game where everything use RNG to make it balance and fun. BTW Why are you such coward not letting us view your stats such Losers...[bTW You only have 22 battles for your Atlanta not 135 such BS] And you expect WG to refund you when you already have 22 battles with the Atlanta what kind of logic is this? You think this is like a supermarket used once and request for a refund like seriously???? and before you buy the Atlanta did you checked her stats and progressive? I doubt you do that because from your stats i can see you are a pay to win player.]
Edited by davud1537

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

According to data from game and wiki.

[quote name=
Effective firing range 6,000 yards at 45 knots (5,500 meters at 83 km/h)
Maximum firing range 15,000 yards at 26.5 knots (13,500 meters at 49 km/h)

Benson's torpedoes are 9.2km range with a speed of 55knots, where else the Atlanta's are 4.5km range with a speed of 65knots. So the only reason I can explain to you (no it isn't game balance) why Atlanta using the same torpedo as Benson is of a shorter range, since it runs faster than Benson's.

ADD: I too have the Atlanta, love it or hate it, play it like an oversized USN DD and built in "No Fly Zone" without the perks of a destroyer (Smoke/Speed) :P

Edited by Windforce

783 posts
4,809 battles

The upcoming Turret health buff in the next patch would benefit Atlanta so much actually so there's something to look forward to for all the Atlanta drivers.

Whether she needs more buffs is not for me to say as I don't have her :(

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Linky.

8. Why do Atlanta's torpedoes have only 4.5km range whereas Benson's have 9.2km, even though they're the same (Mk 15 mod.3)? Moreover, Atlanta has similar stats as tier 6 ships, although she's supposed to fight up to tier 9 ships.

A. Even though their model is the same, torpedoes can vary in range and speed. It's normal. Don't lose hope, we have some buffs planned for her. We're aware of this issue.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

The trouble with trying to shoot over islands, is the bug where the island is "grabbing" the shots. Hopefully they fix it *soon.

*Soon is a Wg TM.:trollface:

Yep this is an annoying issue, though WG did acknowledged the issue they plan to fix it on 0.5.6:

1. When do you plan to fix the bug regarding shells not flying accurately when shooting over islands? You’ve said before it was difficult to reproduce and therefore to fix. Any news regarding it?

A. A fix regarding this issue will be released in 0.5.6. (it haven’t passed all the tests yet but we have high hopes it will solve the issue).

Sauce

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Balance demands inconsistencies with the real thing.

All there is to it.

Else, we get torps that travel only 2/3 of their speed at smaller maximum distances. The faster it goes, the shorter the range due to fuel consumption.

The Atlanta's not an IJN cruiser is medium-range torps. It's a support ship that eats planes and destroyers alive.

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,140 battles

I think it's just another premium with a rather high skill cap, it needs to engage at close range to make use of its extremely annoying guns. Last night I even got a teammate achieve Kraken on his atlanta, and it's not from ks. He did a lot of ambush and a lot of burning.

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

The Atlanta is hard to play but damn fun.. I love taking her out for a spin.. I have had the odd battle in her and the shell arc has it's advantages.. as for the torp range.. it's a handy shotgun in an emergency but you can't rely on them.. 

216 posts
2,239 battles

The Atlanta is hard to play but damn fun.. I love taking her out for a spin.. I have had the odd battle in her and the shell arc has it's advantages.. as for the torp range.. it's a handy shotgun in an emergency but you can't rely on them.. 

Like relying on torps in a Russian DD.

Now I get what he's trying to point out on the torp model argument part, but honestly as long as both model 3 torps on the Atlanta and the Benson do the same damage per torp (which they do) then I think there really isn't any problem as far as the distance it can travel. And since you want to bring up real life Yankee, couldn't torps of the same model have their speed and distance altered depending on the requirements in real life? It isn't like we don't already have a skill that allows this type of change if you want it, and the last I checked the Atlanta torps traveled 10 knots faster than the model 3s of the Benson, which allows the Atlanta to have a higher chance of hitting ambushed ships coming around corners and zippy DD's that try to rush. IMO the Atlanta has the right type of torps to fend off and take out DD's that get to close and not become yet another ship that only fling torps all match long in this game.

Edited by Ryzil

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Lets be honest here though, if you gave Atlanta stronger armour and guns that have a flatter trajectory, higher muzzle velocity as well as better torpedoes, she would an absolute beast of a ship especially with that rof. So how she's balanced in game I can appreciate. I agree that her turrets are ridiculously fragile but hopefully the new update will sort that out so she can brawl a bit better. Like most people here have said or acknowledged, her play style is completely different from how you would normally drive a mid tier CA, so rather than blame the ship, I'd really urge the OP to try a different style of gameplay when playing her. I used to run around a lot (still kinda do) in the open in mine then once i watched Eurobeat's video it made sense that shes more of an inshore type platform and as such really needs those high arcing guns to hit a target.

Also if you don't like her as close in support ship play her as an AA support ship (although you really have no choice if there are no CVs LOL). Mine runs both AFT and Manual AA.....needless to say her AA with all those DP 5 inch guns are nasty even without using DF.

Edited by ADM_dude

216 posts
2,239 battles

Lets be honest here though, if you gave Atlanta stronger armour and guns that have a flatter trajectory, higher muzzle velocity as well as better torpedoes, she would an absolute beast of a ship especially with that rof. So how she's balanced in game I can appreciate. I agree that her turrets are ridiculously fragile but hopefully the new update will sort that out so she can brawl a bit better. Like most people here have said or acknowledged, her play style is completely different from how you would normally drive a mid tier CA, so rather than blame the ship, I'd really urge the OP to try a different style of gameplay when playing her.

But that's what they want, right?

I agree with you ADM, I feel like the Atlanta is a balanced ship that has a niche to feel in the game, and if you don't comply to that play style then you're going to have a rough time. Sure AFT helps this ship some, but even trying to hit BB's at max range in this ship is a task all on it's own. The Atlanta is primarily a close range brawler ship that is meant to hunt DD's (and does a dam good job of it).

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

But that's what they want, right?

I agree with you ADM, I feel like the Atlanta is a balanced ship that has a niche to feel in the game, and if you don't comply to that play style then you're going to have a rough time. Sure AFT helps this ship some, but even trying to hit BB's at max range in this ship is a task all on it's own. The Atlanta is primarily a close range brawler ship that is meant to hunt DD's (and does a dam good job of it).

It is what they want, but the fact is it's just not going to happen, so why jump up and down about it? I hated it at first but then i set myself the challenge to get better at it and once i realised she can punish any DD or CA if they decide to close her or vice versa she's become quite fun. As for hitting BBs, sure it takes a bit more skill and usually some level of guess work to try and get your shells to hit let alone do damage but i like to use her as an annoyance. It's fine she might not do damage at longer ranges but she can still set fire to things which is a threat unto itself and I've seen BBs turn around once they see those 4 salvos in the air coming towards them and i'm sure its annoying to be trying to hit another BB or CA and all you're hearing is the non stop banging of shells hitting your ship by an Atlanta in full auto mode :D

Sign in to follow this