Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Aoba and Defensive Fire

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

In a previous update the Defensive Fire damage boost was altered to include "large calibre automatic guns." I could be mistaken, but I also vaguely remember reading something about it applying to the Medium Range Aura, which would mean pretty much everything from 25mm and up. This would mean that DF would boost the main AA firepower of cruisers such as Aoba.

Aoba in particular has very poor dual-purpose AA, and so wouldn't make much use of the DF damage increase unless it applied to the 25mm guns as well - in which case it would be a very powerful boost. Has anyone had much experience with Aoba and Defensive Fire? Is there a significant increase in plane-shredding within ~3km when activated?

783 posts
4,808 battles

In a previous update the Defensive Fire damage boost was altered to include "large calibre automatic guns." I could be mistaken, but I also vaguely remember reading something about it applying to the Medium Range Aura, which would mean pretty much everything from 25mm and up. This would mean that DF would boost the main AA firepower of cruisers such as Aoba.

Aoba in particular has very poor dual-purpose AA, and so wouldn't make much use of the DF damage increase unless it applied to the 25mm guns as well - in which case it would be a very powerful boost. Has anyone had much experience with Aoba and Defensive Fire? Is there a significant increase in plane-shredding within ~3km when activated?

I would assume yes since I experience an increased amount of plane shedding when it is activated. Frankly can't answer you non-qualitatively due to the nature of the AA aura being RNG.

Besides, DF on IJN ships is mainly for the panic except for the Zao(which gains pretty insane AA).

As for the DF mechanics, I also read something along the same lines from the NA forums and it's what I assume whenever I jump onto my CV and pick targets.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

6. It seems that 20mm Oerlikon / 20mm Flak 38 aren’t affected by Defensive fire. Is it right?

A. Correct. Defensive fire only affects guns with 25mm caliber or above.

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/04/26/big-wows-qa-26th-april-2016/#more-21642

Interesting, so it seems the Aoba can actually perform a decent AA role.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

Okay, here's a list of DPS figures for some Defensive Fire capable ships. The calculated DPS listed here completely ignores 20mm and smaller guns and assumes BFT, AFT, Manual AA, and AA Range module. The Tier IX and X also have the AA Efficiency module. It factors in the priority target bonus and Defensive Fire being active. It's a bad time to be in the sky.

Tier VI

Nurnberg - 365 dps out to 5.0 km.

Aoba - 416 dps out to 4.5 km. Note that this is without Manual AA skill, since it wouldn't affect it much anyway.

Cleveland - 1,073 dps out to 5.0 km. Also worth noting, 781 dps out to 7.2 km. Time to move to Tier VIII, you naughty girl.

Tier VII

Yorck - 768 dps out to 5.0 km.

Myoko - 819 dps out to 4.5 km.

Pensacola - 905 dps out to 5.0 km.

Tier VIII

New Orleans - 905 dps out to 5.0 km. Not a typo, it is the same as Pensacola.

Mikhail Kutuzov - 1,634 dps out to 5.0 km.

Tier IX

Roon - 1,581 dps out to 5.0 km.

Ibuki - 1,643 dps out to 4.5 km.

Baltimore - 1,920 dps out to 5.0 km.

Fletcher - 850 dps out to 5.0 km. Yes, Fletcher has almost the same AA firepower as New Orleans.

Tier X

Des Moines - 2,661 dps out to 7.2 km.

Hindenburg - 2,522 dps out to 6.5 km.

Moskva - 2,049 dps out to 4.5 km. Note that Moskva does also have 1,153 dps out to 8.2 km.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Okay, here's a list of DPS figures for some Defensive Fire capable ships. The calculated DPS listed here completely ignores 20mm and smaller guns and assumes BFT, AFT, Manual AA, and AA Range module. The Tier IX and X also have the AA Efficiency module. It factors in the priority target bonus and Defensive Fire being active. It's a bad time to be in the sky.

Tier VI

Aoba - 416 dps out to 4.5 km. Note that this is without Manual AA skill, since it wouldn't affect it much anyway.

Cleveland - 1,073 dps out to 5.0 km. Also worth noting, 781 dps out to 7.2 km. Time to move to Tier VIII, you naughty girl.

Tier VII

Yorck - 768 dps out to 5.0 km.

Myoko - 819 dps out to 4.5 km.

Pensacola - 905 dps out to 5.0 km.

Tier VIII

Tier IX

Roon - 1,581 dps out to 5.0 km.

Ibuki - 1,643 dps out to 4.5 km.

Baltimore - 1,920 dps out to 5.0 km.

Fletcher - 850 dps out to 5.0 km. Yes, Fletcher has almost the same AA firepower as New Orleans.

Tier X

Des Moines - 2,661 dps out to 7.2 km.

Hindenburg - 2,522 dps out to 6.5 km.

Moskva - 2,049 dps out to 4.5 km. Note that Moskva does also have 1,153 dps out to 8.2 km.

Mogami? or she have the same AA stats as Myokou?

783 posts
4,808 battles

Mogami? or she have the same AA stats as Myokou?

I was under the impression she had less AA power at the longer ranges. Would like to know it too.

Tier IX

Tier X

Have any Zao numbers? It sways away my planes so fast I want to know its DPS.

Surprised at the Fletcher numbers and I now understand why my planes get wrecked when I park it over fletchers. Then there's the Moskva numbers which I initially thought had way lesser AA to be a 'weakness'.

Edited by SZYZWY

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

Mogami - 716 dps out to 4.5 km. A noticeable reduction from Myoko.

Zao - 2,327 dps out to 4.5 km. Lacks a bit of range compared to its rivals, but its power is still up there.

Dmitri Donskoi - 2,275 dps out to 4.5 km. Topples Baltimore for the Tier IX crown.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

Surprised at the Fletcher numbers and I now understand why my planes get wrecked when I park it over fletchers. Then there's the Moskva numbers which I initially thought had way lesser AA to be a 'weakness'.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be that high either. Still, a Fletcher has to sacrifice some important skills and modules to go full AA-spec.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

What is also interesting is the comparison with Tier V Cruisers. Fully-specced for AA, as above, but without access to Defensive Fire of course.

Tier V

Omaha - 80 dps out to 5.0 km. No Manual AA for this ship, since it has no viable guns.

Furutaka - 29 dps out to 6.5 km. Planes beware! This is with Manual AA, but nobody in their right mind would waste the points. 14 dps without it.

I think this could be done better. There's such a huge jump in effectiveness from Tier V to VI (ie. from almost worthless to quite powerful) that it actually puts the Tier VI cruisers under a lot of pressure to protect the fleet, since nothing else can (besides friendly CVs running air superiority loadouts). Battleships don't see effective AA until Tier VII - and only the USN ship at that. Any fleet without Tier VI cruisers (and gods help that Cleveland teammate running Hydro-Acoustic) just has to leave the air battle in the hands of the CV players and hope for the best.

Maybe give the Tier V Cruisers a single-charge Defensive Fire option or something? Though even that isn't going to help poor Furutaka.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

Tier VI

Tier VIII

Ah, so this is why Cleveland can melt my Shokaku's planes faster than Pensacola or New Orleans. You're right, that level of AA has no place in tier VI.

And Kutuzov... suffice to say I always order my planes to stay the hell away from her.

Sign in to follow this