You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the New Orleans cruiser

14 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Some more badposts because I've been trying to find crap for this. I aint referring to one ship.

This ain't the old New Orleans but rather the heavy cruiser New Orleans. If anything, the US cruiser thought got swept in the rain because of strange things like the WNT, even if it was amended several times with the second meeting at London amending the thing began which lifted some spirits, it still did not mean that you can up the ante unless someone decides to give those treaty papers a big middle finger and start rearming the shit out of their navy.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE NEW ORLEANS.

2s1mxc8.jpg

This is not the New Orleans (protected) cruiser you are looking for.

1evzms.jpg

THIS heavy cruiser. BEHOLD, THE BRINGER OF LIGHT.

In any sense, the New Orleans were the last of the 'treaty cruisers' but if one could be a poetic person, then New Orleans was also the last stage and technically the progenitor of the last gun cruisers of the US Navy the Baltimore and later the Des Moines. If one looks closely at the silhouette from afar, you would probably mistake her for any of her heavy cruiser colleagues which are also treaty cruisers. However, the New Orleans were rather different as they got more beefed up for protection. Now the standard norm for the ships were to be at this time:

- the cruiser should not go past the bounds of 10,000 long tonnes

- the guns should not exceed 8 inches

If those were followed, you were pretty much free to do whatever the world you want. But even to that regard, all the signatories were already planning way ahead in the event of another war and it was concluded that these treaty cruisers cant really do the things it was expected as a basic cruiser when it does come out due to the very limited crap it had. So they had to develop new technologies, and that crunch went into the iterations of the New Orleans. One thing you could be impressed with the cruiser was the fact she had surprisingly good endurance range compared to any European cruiser at that period of lull in the 30's.

There were seven of the things; the lead ship New Orleans, Astoria and Minneapolis for iteration 1 as they got improved guns and some bits indicating they got slightly better radar, Tuscaloosa and San Francisco for iteration 2, Quincy and Vincennes  for iteration 3. As they were all New Orleans class, there were no major deviations to make them into subclasses to the point you could say Mogami and Suzuya are basically the same class but with different layouts and builds. There were seven because Wichita became a half-sister mutant and the war broke out she got chumped with several designs at the time.

4ubfic.jpg

How to treaty cruiser. Note that the New Orleans cruisers do NOT have a big mast to stub searchlights or lookouts much because at this time, they were already developing new tech to fit the things while still trying to make sure it doesn't go overboard. And yes, the one who blasted the chatspam generator when the a-POI-calypses begun was a treaty cruiser. Let that sink in.

The New Orleans were protected with 5 inches of belt which were actually really protected considering they were still treaty cruisers (Zara at this time was the most protected heavy cruiser lugging around 6 inches of belt at the cost of endurance range), about 1.3 inches of deck, glorious 8 inches of turret and 5 inches of barbette (CA-38 San Francisco had nearly 7 inches because why not?) and 5 inches of conning tower while for offensive armaments they had improved 8 inch guns from their colleagues in triple mount turrets in the AB-X layout with each gun able to train their elevation independently, some early 5 inch guns mounted on subs till they got replaced by the more potent dual purpose 5 inch guns, some M2 HMG's, and a few of the QF 3 pdr Hotchkiss guns originally but later got some new things like 20mm Oerlikons, the 1.1 inch "Chicago Piano" which was likely replaced with the 40mm Bofors quad mounts the same way most of them got retrofitted for active duty because a certain person will rage that any USN ships do not worship the Cult of Bofors. The ships could run at nearly 33 knots which was quite reasonable enough though there were strange bits that if given on overdrive, the ship could run at 34.3 knots at the cost of damaging your engines.

otkx08.jpg

Look ma, new guns!

About the guns... well sure they lug the same caliber but those guns are rather different. They were improved versions on what was on the Pensacola and Northampton and the turrets were more different due to new technologies. The old turrets like the ones on Pensacola were treated as a single entity, when you elevate, the guns elevate with them, but with the new types, the guns could independently elevate which would mean they could have more freedom instead of being limited by the turret itself.

de0j09.jpg

How to New Orleans by the ONI.

Well, in terms of what was done, the New Orleans had their share of grisly runs, from night battles to pummeling the living crap out of shore defenses in order to soften them up for an amphibious assault. Out of the seven ships that was active, three, Quincy were lost on a single night because it so had happened circumstance was not in the best of moods and the fact the naval brawl of Guadalcanal was basically a battle of massively powered flashlights, star shells, gunfire and torpedoes.

97iamc.jpgHere's Quincy getting highlighted like a stage performer being illuminated with spotlights.

Two of the ships of this class were whacked during the Battle of Tassafaronga where New Orleans got her bow sheared off due to the Long Lance torpedo and had to literally moonwalk... well moonsailing backwards back to port (was also a fairly new bow section too after a freak collision) and Minneapolis had this:

2q2g768.jpg

It was also at this time they saw their treaty cruiser progenitor Pensacola whacked and burning and her succeeding class which was also the lead ship of her type Northampton go under. In most retrospect, the US forces had complete tactical surprise at that time but could not take the initiative to their end though in the end, the Japanese achieved a tactical win but failed strategically as the destroyers then were on supply runs. It was actually more impressive that collectively as a class they earned a buckload of awards.

au9ny8.jpg

They weren't kidding when they said the New Orleans were good cruisers.

In-game wise, the New Orleans is actually a really solid ship at her tier and while you need the extra attention to turn her into a ninja like Mogami, the cruiser can hold her own in ranged combat and she is, I believe, perfect, for AA duties for her tier. As I'm getting her soon, my only angst is that 14.7km range.

Derp.exe is over.

Edited by EvyL

580 posts
1,587 battles

I don't even know why WG opted for the Pensacola... It could've been a different story if they gave us the Northhampton or the Portland... I mean T7 is where things start to get real serious-like... A Cleveland could beat this tub down with sick glee...

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I don't even know why WG opted for the Pensacola... It could've been a different story if they gave us the Northhampton or the Portland... I mean T7 is where things start to get real serious-like... A Cleveland could beat this tub down with sick glee...

Remember Pensacola was the first heavy cruiser, a treaty cruiser yes, but heavy cruiser nonetheless.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

So many haters for the Pensacola, which is a great ship in my opinion, and the New Orleans, considering she was a treaty cruiser was a pretty well built ship and as Evyl said only comparable to the Zara class in terms of protection. While the NO class did suffer the major losses of Guadalcanal, they were fighting in closed clam waters, at night - the perfect IJN ambush conditions for their deadly type 93 Long lance torpedoes and night fighting training which they have homed years of training on. The Poor USN cruisers were simply too spread out and not properly screened by the destroyers.

But considering the beating they took before they sunk during the battle for Savo Island, it probably saved the invasion transports as the IJN probably spent too much time and ammunition on dealing with the cruisers and were low on nighttime. That and the supposed threat from the long gone US carrier fleet sent the IJN running from their only decisive strike.

Edited by Blitzkreig95

580 posts
1,587 battles

Remember Pensacola was the first heavy cruiser, a treaty cruiser yes, but heavy cruiser nonetheless.

So historically this is why the Pensacola is the first USN CA you can get your hands on in WoWS? I guess that is a good point... but she does have a handicap dueling more modern T8s that's why I think it could be more of a fair fight if we got the improved designs based from the first CA of the USN... I mean yeah the Pensacola does have some scary punchy guns but with her MM she's kind of a let down...

Super Tester
1,677 posts

So historically this is why the Pensacola is the first USN CA you can get your hands on in WoWS? I guess that is a good point... but she does have a handicap dueling more modern T8s that's why I think it could be more of a fair fight if we got the improved designs based from the first CA of the USN... I mean yeah the Pensacola does have some scary punchy guns but with her MM she's kind of a let down...

Yup, pretty much. What the Northampton and Portland should be technically speaking be souped up Pensacola designs but New Orleans is a new iteration. One thing that separates Pensacola from most cruisers at her tier is the fact she's actually really responsive. Really responsive. I believe no cruiser can match her ergonomics of handling tier wise. Gun-wise, that tiny problem of arc is there but if there's any consolation, the turrets turn fast enough allowing you to react. The only thing I actually find bad about Pensacola is due to her freakin' detection range. If you can shoot them, so can they. You can never have the initiative in shooting first, EVER. Unless you have a kitted commander with concealment expert, then she is workable.

As for the armor, to be fair to the cruiser, she IS observing treaty rules so you can't simply cram a LOT of armor else she'd be breaching displacement. Remember she was 9000 long tonnes if she didnt have anything on from ammo to the manly guys who'll serve aboard her. Even New Orleans was nearly breaching due to nearing the 10,000 long tonnes displacement restrictions. The in-war cruisers were different since they were already thrown into the escalation clause. Don't really expect much on a US treaty cruiser since they were following restrictions at the time, hell even the Brits should have funky cruisers themselves.

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,677 posts

guess what?

it's your new free prem ship :teethhappy: (not really)

SHUSH DONT GIVE LOARD VADIM IDEAS.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Don't really expect much on a US treaty cruiser since they were following restrictions at the time, hell even the Brits should have funky cruisers themselves.

Oh dear god... What classes should I expect? From your standpoint you do have a good idea what ships are interesting enough to be added in game... So theoritically, what infamous vessels should I be possibly wary of?? I love cruisers I really do, but I already have this sinking feeling that WG does throw in a few "trap" ships into the mix...

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Oh dear god... What classes should I expect? From your standpoint you do have a good idea what ships are interesting enough to be added in game... So theoritically, what infamous vessels should I be possibly wary of?? I love cruisers I really do, but I already have this sinking feeling that WG does throw in a few "trap" ships into the mix...

Not really in terms of ship to be thrown in the game. All you should be wary are WWI and interwar ships. The US treaty cruisers, as per their name, were built to the limits imposed by the Washington Naval Treaty with the corresponding amendments added. 

One cruiser that has likely wonky armor would likely be the County class of the British and some of the funny Condottierri cruisers of Italy.