You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bokute2009

Upcoming weather

38 comments in this topic

69 posts
4,484 battles

hmm with the upcoming update i really want to see the weather system i am waiting for a battle in big storm rough sea blacksky lol do you guys have the same hype like me ? :D

1,126 posts

my concern is how much resource demand for weather effect?

which level of graphic setting will show weather? only medium/high or every level?

I look at preview form test server, is stunningly beautiful

but I fear that low end laptop like the one I'm using can't handle it well (longer loading) T_T

216 posts
2,239 battles

which level of graphic setting will show weather? only medium/high or every level?

but I fear that low end laptop like the one I'm using can't handle it well (longer loading) T_T

Give it a day or two after the patch release and someone out there will make a mod that will remove the weather graphics for the peasant computer builds.

7dc.jpg

PC master race!

[SGC]
93 posts
6,371 battles

Optimization/weather. The new weather should not impair the frame rate. The resources needed to implement rain are comparable to those required to implement a single battleship salvo. They continue working on the optimization.

Quote from Takru_Asia's thread on a discussion with the developers.

168 posts
5,687 battles

My understanding is in term of game mechanics it will only effect vision ?

I guess it's a start. I was kind of hoping for some interaction between sea state and ship handling too.

But then people would scream DD nerf.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I guess it's a start. I was kind of hoping for some interaction between sea state and ship handling too.

Sea state won't just affect DD's lol - everyone will be affected - CV's should actually feel it worse than anyone else - higher sea states means no flying for the era we are looking at

783 posts
4,824 battles

Sea state won't just affect DD's lol - everyone will be affected - CV's should actually feel it worse than anyone else - higher sea states means no flying for the era we are looking at

Let the sea state effect be available for matches with no CVs. :P

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Rising sea state would be pointless for this era for gaming - NO ONE would be able to do anything, even BB's will be affected by it.

For gaming purposes the only element that will really be usable is rain to affect visibility.  The other elements of weather (wind, sea etc.) would mean no game play or at the best extremely frustrating game play for everyone.  If you thing RNG is bad now, imagine multiplying the RNG factor by 200% for every shot/torpedo launched.  I've seen complaints the game is slow, imagine everyone being limited to 1/2 ahead due sea state.

Weather looks cool on a screen, the reality is something else all together.

69 posts
4,484 battles

this weather will be a really bad headache may be there will be another game mode with what i hype : storm ,rough sea ,heavy rain... if anyone wants some realistic game then play that mode but that mode is really far from now with lots of things to do like balance between ships , visibility , the resources need to run all of that lol :D so far 

153 posts
3,262 battles

lol.. rough seas.. means my ship can potentially get rolled over by a huge tsunami-lie wave and get sunk without enemy doing anything? SIGN ME UP! :D

Super Tester
2,725 posts

hmm with the upcoming update i really want to see the weather system i am waiting for a battle in big storm rough sea blacksky lol do you guys have the same hype like me ? :D

You probably missed your chance to participate random battles in Public Test.

I did not missed the public test, the battle ended too early on public test. I mean before 10 mins countdown, all enemies are eliminated. And therefore, can't experience the new weather feature. :P

That's probably why they want to do file optimization (aka, Faster Battle Loading) before they kick in the battle weather feature into the game. 

Since I haven't seen the weather as I wanna see if the wavy seas is included, coz I would suggest the launched torpedoes' course changes. But meh.

But for now, I understand the new feature affects all ships. As destroyers being more ninja than ever!! :D

695 posts
2,153 battles

Next is the sea sickness patch (it will affect 20% of players randomly)  WG will issue medicine as a consumable. :ohmy:  

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Next is the sea sickness patch (it will affect 20% of players randomly)  WG will issue medicine as a consumable. :ohmy:  

only medicine you use for sea sickness is Rum, and if that doesn't work - drink more

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

You know what would be amusing?

If CAs can trade those catapult planes for a spotlight toggle. In exchange for having no passive 'eyes' and a minor AA barrier, they receive less or even completely ignore night battle conditions at the cost of extra visibility- Light in the dark, after all.

Could open up more strategies involving teamplay with cruisers to navigate low-visibility maps.

61 posts
2,625 battles

DD nerf shouldn´t be needed - the rougher the weather the more influence it should have to possible top speed,

e.g. like table attached

wind strenght
(beaufort)
0-3 4-5 6-7 8-9 10-11 12
wave heights (m) 0,5 1 2-3 4-5 6-8 9-12
Ship class            
DD 100% 100% 80% 60% 25% 5%
CL 100% 100% 85% 75% 55% 25%
CA 100% 100% 90% 80% 65% 40%
BB 100% 100% 95% 85% 75% 50%

in that case increasing stealth of DD & CL is compensated by lack of movement and quite more realistic :) (I know this is not a SIM)

Nevertheless - this REALLY pushes the players to work as teams - otherwise they achive nothing.

And I agree with Thingol, there should be an influence on handling, e.g. Arty salvo spread, too  - the worse the conditions (not visibility though,

but wave-heights) the higher the spread. Above waveheight 6 m there should be torp malfunctions (single torps out of salvo become dud due to undercutting wave) with linear increasing likelyhood and/or torps running and passing under the target (the smaller the target the more likely).....

***off topic***

as I am on torps - there are two things I really dont like about in game design

1. torps always explode  - no matter which impact angle, which is physically impossible as the torp fuse sits center-cone. At least upon impact angle below 15° torp should be deflected and counted as dud

2. although torp fired just above minimum fusing range (for Minekaze ~225 m) the own ship gets zero HP substracted if still in blast radius

(I tested in training room against Yamato), so U can sail alongside enemy pumping him torps without him beeing able to hit U - ecxept with secondaries

Edited by BBcaptain008

Beta Tester
28 posts
4,670 battles

dont understand the hype at all about weather     vision limit to 8 km    blunder around trying to find a enemy 

bb are useless  especially if your guns are facing the wrong way  just another dd paradise

really really  dont see what the all the excitement is about

783 posts
4,824 battles

dont understand the hype at all about weather     vision limit to 8 km    blunder around trying to find a enemy 

bb are useless  especially if your guns are facing the wrong way  just another dd paradise

really really  dont see what the all the excitement is about

I'd disagree on the DD paradise a bit. Most DDs have their detection ranges below that number in the first place and they are also obstructed that distance so there isn't much a change in their stealth. From what I remember, the 8km radius allies have of a chance detecting enemies were also seen by me. It also invalidates the use of long range torps making the USN DD, KM Cruisers and VMF torps really viable during that period and that is a plus.

(Just imagine 2 BBs surprising each other and then turning into a brawl, I bet it'd be fun too)