You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Swiftter7

Suggestion: Ship flooding animation

Flooding Animation  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should this feature be implemented?

18 comments in this topic

50 posts
3,289 battles

In view of update 0.5.5, and its crazy features, especially the new ship sinking animation(s), I feel that the staff could do a bit more.

Death animations of ships can be separated into multiple sections:

Fire

After burning to death, the ship explodes. Makes sense.

Shells

After being penetrated by enemy shells, ship explodes. Make sense.

Flood

Being hit by torpedoes, big holes in ship, ship sinks by flooding to death but Explodes.

- Reason

In my opinion, I don't really find this making any sense. How can a ship that has water entering into her hull gets blown up after the ship is completely filled with water?

- Solution(?)

The ship's hull should get lower and lower towards the water level as the flooding precedes. This could allow the ship to be more difficult to citadel (as most citadels are underwater) but in turn moves at a way slower speed. And when the ship is very low in HP,  the ship should already stop dead in the water (as water probably already flooded into the ship boilers, making the ship unable to move), hull barely visible. And when the ship finally dies, it would just sink into the ocean, no explosion will occur (even when an enemy kills it with artillery).

- Why?

The flooding to death situation now doesn't really makes that much sense. How could a ship that is flooding, Explodes? And since the developers already created new sinking death animations of ships, this should an easy thing to implement.

Thank you for your time reading this post.

Any further suggestions are welcomed.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Lots of flooded, sinking warships explode after going underwater. Because, capsizing, oil, ammunition, watertight compartments, lots of explosive stuff that's still explosive, etc.

724 posts
2,204 battles

In view of update 0.5.5, and its crazy features, especially the new ship sinking animation(s), I feel that the staff could do a bit more.

Fire

Shells

Flood

Being hit by torpedoes, big holes in ship, ship sinks by flooding to death but Explodes.

- Reason

In my opinion, I don't really find this making any sense. How can a ship that has water entering into her hull gets blown up after the ship is completely filled with water?

- Solution(?)

The ship's hull should get lower and lower towards the water level as the flooding precedes. This could allow the ship to be more difficult to citadel (as most citadels are underwater) but in turn moves at a way slower speed. And when the ship is very low in HP,  the ship should already stop dead in the water (as water probably already flooded into the ship boilers, making the ship unable to move), hull barely visible. And when the ship finally dies, it would just sink into the ocean, no explosion will occur (even when an enemy kills it with artillery).

- Why?

The flooding to death situation now doesn't really makes that much sense. How could a ship that is flooding, Explodes? And since the developers already created new sinking death animations of ships, this should an easy thing to implement.

+1,

allow me to give a piece of my thoughts on this.

For example...

If the ship was hit by torpedoes on the port side, the ship will slowly list to port if the player didn't activate the DameCon system.

If the player activated DameCon after the ship already listed to a certain angle, it will stay that way unless the player uses his repair party consumable. 

(listing effect shouldn't be too drastic as that would affect the gameplay)

During that, the player will still take flood damage as usual, but when the ship HP hits 0, it won't die immediately, the engine will be destroyed first, triggering a sound effect of an engine dying.

The player will still be able to use the AA/Secondaries for a short amount of time (Hold down CTRL and click on target airgroup/ship). Since in this case, the player's ship was hit by torpedo on the port side and died from flood damage, the ship will capsize to the port side and magazine will explode when the ship turned completely upside down, blowing the hull apart. That would make the whole "exploding from flood" scenario a little bit more logical.

1,230 posts
2,418 battles

I quite agre in your die of flooding case. But hmm, I don't personally fancy driving a listing ship, and think about tfw, u use R button and somehow your ship comes right up. Or not.

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

Flood

- Reason

- Solution(?)

- Why?

If water reaches the boilers, fractures occur in the hot boiler plates due to sudden cooling. The boiler is under pressure.  The result is a catastrophic explosion. 

And a when a ship floods, it doesn't neatly settle down into the water. Hit in port side, for instance, she will list to port, possibly turning over if flooding not balanced by pumping water to starboard,etc.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

oops, double post...:unsure:

Came back to show a ship mag det, but got ninjaed by Deathskyz..

so here's another one..

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I quite agre in your die of flooding case. But hmm, I don't personally fancy driving a listing ship, and think about tfw, u use R button and somehow your ship comes right up. Or not.

In my opinion listing ship can be somethings that just for in-game animation/effect which not affect actual ship performance but it will raise another topic about "listing ship doesn't make sense" anyways i respect WG decision. :P 

*Edit

+  listing ship will be harder to citadel (i guess) so it will raise another topic about "listing ship TOO OP NERF PLEZ"

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

They tried a more realistic listing/flooding animation/mechanic during Alpha and it was just way to complicated for the average player.  Sim players loved it, arcade players hated it.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

They tried a more realistic listing/flooding animation/mechanic during Alpha and it was just way to complicated for the average player.  Sim players loved it, arcade players hated it.

Define "Hate" in that sentence

other than what Melonmelonsoda said

+  listing ship will be harder to citadel (i guess) so it will raise another topic about "listing ship TOO OP NERF PLEZ"

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Fire

Shells

Flood

- Reason

- Solution(?)

- Why?

Good suggestions but maybe not now but soon in the near future maybe WG Developer will implement this.:hiding:

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

as we've seen in recent updates to WoWs features that were present in alpha have been removed but are slowly being added back in once they are happy with the rework they've done on it 

I personally wouldn't mind a slight listing animation to show damage to a ship by torpedoes, it would add an extra layer of depth to the game and keen players would be able to exploit ships that have taken too many torpedo hits to finish them off with some easy citadel hits.

Or you could just make it a visual change that is present only to the player. So only the player sees their ship listing.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,442 battles

View PostSwiftter7, on 18 April 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

The ship's hull should get lower and lower 

I should div up with a Soviet DD ask him to torpedo me.

Gonna hide my citadel under water ;)

Tactical flooding m8:trollface:

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles

If water reaches the boilers, fractures occur in the hot boiler plates due to sudden cooling. The boiler is under pressure.  The result is a catastrophic explosion. 

And a when a ship floods, it doesn't neatly settle down into the water. Hit in port side, for instance, she will list to port, possibly turning over if flooding not balanced by pumping water to starboard,etc.

In which case, the explosion should be more "steamy" (like a huge plume of water exploding from your ship) rather than went into the flames like it currently does should it?

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

redacted

whoops, misread the post...my bad.....nothing to see here....

Edited by ADM_dude

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

In which case, the explosion should be more "steamy" (like a huge plume of water exploding from your ship) rather than went into the flames like it currently does should it?

Not necessarily. A boiler explosion will involve fire, debris and an over-pressure shock wave.. Remember, a boiler is hooked up to fuel source (high pressure oil) and i will state it again, they operate at extremely high pressures > up to 2300 psi in the 1940s.

One of those going up would easily ruin your day.