You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
A_Hansen

WoWs crashes (computer shuts down)

16 comments in this topic

8 posts
1,663 battles

I'm very sad as I have a severe problem:

WoWs is crashing randomly while a 'crash' means a complete computer shut down (like pulling power line out of the socket).

In mid of March I never had this (playing high graphic setting), but starting maybe form early April or a few days before, it was randomly, but not everytime (rarely in habour but mostly at any possible time within the battles).

Since a few days it seems to be everytime and directly (within 2 and 10 seconds) after random battle starts. This problem occurs with all 4 ship types (I'm currently until tier IV). I checked for temperature, but levels are not indicating there is a relation to the problem. The problem is in mid, high and very high graphic settings. I'm not absolutely sure about low graphics, I'll try now again. My game resolution is full screen @ 1920 x 1080.

My computer is a Dell Precision M6500 (Laptop) with Intel i7 X 940 @2.13 GHz, RAM is 12,0 GB running with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit). All Windows updates (important and optional) are done. (I will do the Windows 10 update in May)

My graphic card is an AMD Mobility Radeon HD5800 Series, RAM 1,00 GB, currently running with 2 screens (internal laptop with 1920 x 1200 AND external screen 1920 x 1080, playing on the external (because bigger)). Also this drivers have been updated but the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions? What can I do? Do I have to quit service and watch the battles from the coast?

If you need further details or data, just let me know.... but PLEASE: HELP!! :-)

A_Hansen

165 posts

please do try low graphics, what this sounds like is that your PC is shutting down under Heat Protection, (PC shuts down to protect overheating components from damage)

the game itself will not cause the issue you are having it is a PC issue

if you still have issues what you can do is send support you DxDiag and Python log please also make sure all Drivers are up to date not just windows

580 posts
1,587 battles

I dunno what's going on but I'll try...

Does this also happen to other games that you have?? Especially games that have 3D graphics (like CoD, BF, Skyrim, CS, etc.)If you do, then try them out and see if the problem persists... or you could stress test it Furmark 3D...

I think this indicates a more serious problem than WoWS... Your machine maybe overheating, do you have utilities installed show the exact temperatures? (Like GPU-Z or CPU-Z) Did you check your fans? I never go above 80C for temps so I make my adjustments in the settings to hit that "GPU Sweet Spot" 60FPS with a bit of eye candy and nailing 70-75C...

8 posts
1,663 battles

Thanks a lot Madiba127 and Kreigg for your fast reply on my problem. Indeed with my limited computer experience I also thought about temperature from the beginning. Thus, I opened the laptop (as much as possible) to have more fresh air and check for dust inside. Optically everything seems to be ok, also both fans are running. Additionally I used "CPUID Hardware Monitor" for getting temperature information, but even when playing under very high graphic settings I never realized temperatures (at all sensors) above 75°C, mostly it is between 55° and 65°, sometimes up to 70°C. Maybe I'll try recommended GPU-Z or CPU-Z for comparison. At about what temperature is a computer expected to shut down? I don't know that, but numbers of Kriegg suggest that my temperature maybe not the issue.

Currently I'm not playing any other game on my computer, so unfortunately I don't have experience with other games yet. But I'll try Furmark 3D stress test and will give feedback on this.

I also don't think that my problem is directly caused by the game, but hoped there is a hint like: 'try high setting but turn of anti alias or 3 puffering'.... or what ever.

I just tried one time with low graphics without problem, but as I said I could play under very high settings for some hours and crashed before under middle settings after around 5 seconds in game.

Do you have a link for "Python log", google had so many other things here. And I'll try DxDiag, but have no clue so far....

Anyway, thanks for caring for me. I really appreciate this!

See you on the waters.... hopefully!

165 posts

the Python log is the file shown in the SS below, as for Shutdown Temperature this depends on the Computer and its Components

VJz4Y9g.png

I also don't think that my problem is directly caused by the game, but hoped there is a hint like: 'try high setting but turn of anti alias or 3 puffering'.... or what ever.
I just tried one time with low graphics without problem, but as I said I could play under very high settings for some hours and crashed before under middle settings after around 5 seconds in game.

well being able to play on low confirms that the game itself is fine, just that higher graphics causes your PC to have issues, best bet i would guess is play around with the graphics settings and find the maximum you can go before shutdown, also keep watch of your Computer Temp, i do not run WoWS via a laptop so i can't give you want temps that would run at for me

8 posts
1,663 battles

Ok, FurMark stress test was a success.... well a disaster :-)

After about 5 minutes with 70°/71°C the computer crashed (shut down) as discripted before. So you are confirmed, it's a temperature problem. I'm a little disappointed it comes at so low temperatures. Anyway, now I have to find out suitable settings to play.

Are there any suggestions? Anything especially consuming? Or anything with low effect?

However, so far many thanks!! Now I'll rape the freezer and find some cooling bags. :-)

8 posts
1,663 battles

Another update: I just tried resolution 1280 x 920 (last number I'm not sure now) with everything highest possible settings. Looks not soooo bad, of course letter size is for old grandpas but I'm not the youngest anymore so that fits. :-)

Temperatur seems to be stable below 70°C, so NO crashes so far. I guess tomorrow I will do many, many, many tests. :-)

Thanks a lot again for your help!!

Edited by A_Hansen

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Make sure the laptop is using the ATI cards (go into graphics settings) not the onboard intel.

Some updates will reset that (even for gaming laptops) which means your tests will pass (3D mark etc) but the game won't as it will use the default GPU.

580 posts
1,587 battles

How long have you had that laptop? Maybe its time to get the Thermal Paste replaced for both the CPU and GPU and have the fans properly checked by professionals... Usually the amount of paste from pre-built machines like laptops and pre built desktops is utterly low, I'm even thinking of getting new CoolerMaster paste for my 2 year old Clevo and lubing up the fans if that's even possible...

Hope you'll get your machine up to spec... "May your Framerates be high, and your Temperatures low"

8 posts
1,663 battles

Mates, you see my eyes full of tears because of your great help and support! Thank you!

@dead_man_walking: That's a good one. Because of the AMD Temperature I think the ATI has the workload while gaming. However, where can I check that? I didn't find that in the windows graphic settings and not in the ingame settings. From the AMD Control Center everything looks like expected.

@XP_On: Great idea! I'll check that! Well, noise... I'm used to this as my laptop always sings the 'hymn of the fans'. Yeah, I'll use headphones. Uh, I forgot: do you recommend one or two? Do you have an easy way to find out which fan exit is for the GPU and which one for the CPU? Or is this not so much of importance and I should just try which one works better...?

@ Kreigg: You are right, this might be a problem. This device is let's say a bit more than 4 years old. However, the graphic card was completely replaced maybe around 3 years before with that time plenty of paste... the technican told and showed me that as it was an "at-home-replacement-service". Anyway, seems to be old now (not the technican) and a new laptop is due. But I guess with this hardware I should think about a new one.... waaahhhhhh!

And Kreigg, I loved that one: "Hope you'll get your machine up to spec... "May your Framerates be high, and your Temperatures low""

Thanks again!!

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

put it onthe most hottest part. 

for me, my left side produce more heat than the right side so i put it in the left side.

also remember that this cooler device run on USB powered, so do you have a spare USB slot? and it kinda drain the bateries quiete a bit.... but it really helps to bring down heat and low cost too..

i got mine for US $5.. 

and most of the member here will help fellow captain who in trouble.... but sadly, only few who will help in game.... i often left alone without support......

580 posts
1,587 battles

Well good luck to you... tho there is a mod that reduces the texture quality, it could make things ligher for your machine tho it will make things really ugly... A lot of good gaming laptops are out there you just need that one that doesn't Citadel your wallet too much... MSI is a good brand for starters...

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Well good luck to you... tho there is a mod that reduces the texture quality, it could make things ligher for your machine tho it will make things really ugly... A lot of good gaming laptops are out there you just need that one that doesn't Citadel your wallet too much... MSI is a good brand for starters...

this is the real problem for me... personally i prefer my PC, but sometimes we often travel and not going home... a gaming netbook will solve this ones, but having both will citadel my wallet tooooooo much

8 posts
1,663 battles

Thanks again for all your replies!

@ XP_On: A little problem with my Laptop: the fan exhaust is on the back (not at the sides). Currently it's ok, but I guess it will not work with my docking station. However, for small money it's a good investment and worth a try! So thumbs up, I'll check my local dealers. :-)

And I absolutely understand what you are talking about teamplay. Today I had some great matches with some more experienced captains taking command and it was a pleasure. All actions have been in coop-mode... great experience!

@ Kreigg: Well I don't like to reduce the textures so much. Currently I'm playing with lower resolution with highest details. Also not perfect, but ok for me now. With some coolers maybe I can do better. I guess I have to buy a new machine anyway, but as I'm using it for business, too, I have to find a good solution for both tasks. I'm afraid it's more then just one citadel.

Edited by A_Hansen