You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
cyxnide

The Curse of the Number 3 - Japanese Naval Story

7 comments in this topic

724 posts
2,166 battles

So here we are, we're talking about submarines now. 

Today I'm going to share with you guys one of the most bizarre naval story I've ever read.

(Please note that most of the information below are from a Japanese Wikipedia webpage, so it might not be a hundred percent correct 'cus I'm a pleb and I can't understand Japanese fully. I'll leave the link to the Wikipedia page later so those of you who can actually read Japanese, go read it.)

伊号第三十三潜水艦 - Japanese Submarine I-33

Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine, I-33 was the 14th ship of the I-15 class submarine. Laid down on February 21, 1940, and commissioned on June 10, 1942. Initially, it was designated as I-41, but was renamed on November 1, 1941.

MJp7Cxb.jpg?1
I-33 After being raised on 1953

So what's so special about this submarine? 
Here comes the important part...

What happened?

This submarine was completed at Kobe Shipard & Machinery Works, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries on June 10, 1942. On the same year, September 25, the submarine collided with the coral reef during a training session. The collision damaged one of the torpedo tube. While they were still repairing the torpedo tube, the aft of the submarine suddenly flooded, sinking the submarine to a depth of 33 Meters underwater, and killing 33 crew members.  The wreckage was successfully raised on 29 December, 1943.

On June 13, 1944. The newly restored I-33 took part in a rapid dive training. Due to leaking, the engine room flooded quickly and sank the submarine 60 meters underwater, this forced the crew to open the hatch as a final escape route. Out of 92 crew members, only survived this tragedy.

The wreckage was raised on July 23, 1953 by Hakusei ship industry. 
They managed to find 13 dead bodies in the front torpedo firing chamber, and suicide notes are also found in the motor room. 

yaJVGsZ.jpg?1
Suicide notes left by the crew members in the engine room.

The remaining of the I-33 was then scrapped by Hitachi Zosen at Innoshima factory.
But the tragedy didn't stop yet, during the process, 3 of the workers died in the front torpedo room due to gas poisoning.

KalyJUY.jpg?1
The front torpedo room of I-33 where the 3 workers died of gas poisoning.

Do you see the pattern now?
-The submarine was to I-33,
-It was completed at Kobe Shipard & Machinery Works, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 「三」菱. (kanji writing for Mitsubishi, and is the kanji writing for 3)
-The first incident killed 33 crew members after the submarine sank 33 meters underwater
-The second incident where there's only survivors
-3 workers were killed during the scrapping process

Edited by xDave1337x

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

You'll need to highlight to the non-Japanese speaking public that 「三」 is the kanji (汉字, 漢字) for the number three.

724 posts
2,166 battles

You'll need to highlight to the non-Japanese speaking public that 「三」 is the kanji (汉字, 漢字) for the number three.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

i need more horror/mystery/ghostly ships story like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

伊号第三十三潜水艦 - Japanese Submarine I-33

Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine, I-33 was the 14th ship of the I-15 class submarine. Laid down on February 21, 1940, and commissioned on June 10, 1942. Initially, it was designated as I-41, but was renamed on November 1, 1941.
I-33 After being raised on 1953

So what's so special about this submarine? 
Here comes the important part...

What happened?

This submarine was completed at Kobe Shipard & Machinery Works, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries on June 10, 1942. On the same year, September 25, the submarine collided with the coral reef during a training session. The collision damaged one of the torpedo tube. While they were still repairing the torpedo tube, the aft of the submarine suddenly flooded, sinking the submarine to a depth of 33 Meters underwater, and killing 33 crew members.  The wreckage was successfully raised on 29 December, 1943.

On June 13, 1944. The newly restored I-33 took part in a rapid dive training. Due to leaking, the engine room flooded quickly and sank the submarine 60 meters underwater, this forced the crew to open the hatch as a final escape route. Out of 92 crew members, only survived this tragedy.

The wreckage was raised on July 23, 1953 by Hakusei ship industry. 
They managed to find 13 dead bodies in the front torpedo firing chamber, and suicide notes are also found in the motor room. 

also fixed XD 

724 posts
2,166 battles

i need more horror/mystery/ghostly ships story like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also fixed XD 

Now that I think about it, I think I know why my luck with IJN warships are terrible...

*looks at IGN* 

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

42 posts
2,352 battles

Now that I think about it, I think I know why my luck with IJN warships are terrible...

*looks at IGN* 

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

Coincidence??? I THINK NOT XD

1,162 posts

*looks at IGN* 

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

xDave1337x

Poor Haruna. :hiding:

Also +1 coz I liek horror story (even though I actually really hate horror stuff) but its ship so its okay.

PS: I guess if I-33 is reincarnate into shipgirl, I guess the luck will have negative stats. Whew... :hiding:

Edited by RisaFujiyama