Sign in to follow this  
Porygon

Save your Wallet, DON'T BUY the SAIPAN

87 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
41 posts
4,515 battles

This was the second disappointment of USN premium ship since Atlanta, the ship herself sound good but it just got too many flaw.

Here are the few reason you should NOT buy it.

1) The Strafing run of the 3 fighters F4U squad is useless.

You cannot use the magic 10X multiplier magic strafe like the others CV, There was like only 1-2 aircraft destroyed per strafe, which is plainly silly.

2) The 8 dive bomber squad sounds awesome, but it is NOT.

The RNG scatter of the whole squad is too high, dropping exactly accurate bomb can only get 1-2 hit, and it takes AGES to reload. I don't know why the balance dev making such ridiculous DB squad.

3) The torp bombers are meh.

Getting all 6 hit on a Kongo accurately, guess what? Only got her HP down to 35%, if I was torping her with Hiryu, she was dead.

4) Her F4U is NOT powerful enough.

Even an AS Ryujo can dramatically making Saipan a hard time, it is unacceptable.

5) This ship is boring and incapable of support

Too less number of squad, nuff said.

You can't balance a ship at the standard of a tier 15 captain based. WG should really bring back the 230 / 302 loadout with some tweaking or maybe give us a 211. Just make the bombers much squishier, but don't make it a silly noob-friendly ship that you can do some damage even being a monkey (auto drop = manual drop [content removed]?), but never able to unleash great damage.

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

Edited by amade

359 posts
2,819 battles

I think all his points are solid. She feel like a weaker Hiryu. Only I conclude that from what I watch and read, while op from actual playing.

To clarify, yes stealth edit.

1 Strafe is not bad unless you head-on strafe. Ichase video prove that.

2 Yes, too random, and low damage with little chance to dot (need to attack after someone else)

3 Yes, You bring plane to other edge of the map to snipe, losing one plane to rng , you cannot snipe anymore. Most damage she can do with 6 torp is about the same Hiryu make on good day.

4 AS make anyone suffer. More squad, more planes in squad, low tier (dogfigth?)and if tie and strafe...

5. Support what? 4 is still more than stock ranger.

But overall I still think it's underpowered. You cannot snipe reliably, you cannot protect yourself well (as with other tier 7. ) You need to play hit and run, but if enemy choose the filed of battle (snipe you) big trouble.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

You cannot use the magic 10X multiplier magic strafe like the others CV, There was like only 1-2 aircraft destroyed per strafe, which is plainly silly.

The RNG scatter of the whole squad is too high, dropping exactly accurate bomb can only get 1-2 hit, and it takes AGES to reload. I don't know why the balance dev making such ridiculous DB squad.

Getting all 6 hit on a Kongo accurately, guess what? Only got her HP down to 35%, if I was torping her with Hiryu, she was dead.

Even an AS Ryujo can dramatically making Saipan a hard time, it is unacceptable.

1) Did you strafe correctly? Those are tier 9 fighters we're talking about, thats some serious firepower there

2) There is a manual drop option in case you forgotten

3) 2 TB's were considered 'Balanced' because 230 is basically a taiho at tier 7, which is OP in some ways (stated by IChase, look at his video)

4) Are you sure about that? They are faster than all of the planes in that tier (those planes are tier 9's vs tier 8's) If you're not happy, get Air Supremacy.

5) Well, what do you expect after you bought the ship before checking any reviews of its performance. You are responsible for your own payment decisions, not WG.

Edited by HeroOfWind

Beta Tester
41 posts
4,515 battles

1) Did you strafe correctly? Those are tier 9 fighters we're talking about, thats some serious firepower there

2) There is a manual drop option in case you forgotten

3) 2 TB's were considered 'Balanced' because 203 is basically a taiho at tier 7, which is OP in some ways (stated by IChase, look at his video)

4) Are you sure about that? They are faster than all of the planes in that tier (those planes are tier 9's vs tier 8's) If you're not happy, get Air Supremacy.

5) Well, what do you expect after you bought the ship before checking any reviews of its performance. You are responsible for your own payment decisions, not WG.

1) I surely did.

2) There were no difference between two, noted that in the recent patchnote.

3) Yes, but if 220 is UP and 230 is OP, what would you choose? I rather a risky 230 but rewarding. 220 is NOT rewarding.

4) I am very sure.

5) I had bought it anyway just because I like playing CV, but afterall I was very disappointed.

Edited by Porygon

191 posts
10,626 battles

Played Saipan just now. Lost but I got 350k++ credits (with prem account and flag). Managed to almost destroyed 4 squadrons of Hiryuu+Ryujo fighters with just one strafe from 1 of the fighter squadron. The fighters are quite strong; basically the opponent CV's avoided 1v1 fighter engagement

783 posts
4,815 battles

WG releases UP premium USN CV. Fan disappointed.

So WG releases OP premium IJN CV. Deal? :trollface::trollface:

Premium USN CV that plays like an IJN one. I'm kind of expecting the Premium IJN CV will play like a USN CV.

To the OP. The Saipan is quite literally an undergunned but more versatile Hiryuu. At the very least, the Saipan can dish out lesser damage per strike run but has more strike runs due to the (re)loading of planes.

Whether or not it suits your(or anyone)'s playstyle will pretty much make or break enjoying the ship. Quite frankly, the 2/3/0 is too OP under the right hands with the tier advantage in speed.

Beta Tester
41 posts
4,515 battles

Premium USN CV that plays like an IJN one. I'm kind of expecting the Premium IJN CV will play like a USN CV.

To the OP. The Saipan is quite literally an undergunned but more versatile Hiryuu. At the very least, the Saipan can dish out lesser damage per strike run but has more strike runs due to the (re)loading of planes.

Whether or not it suits your(or anyone)'s playstyle will pretty much make or break enjoying the ship. Quite frankly, the 2/3/0 is too OP under the right hands with the tier advantage in speed.

I really unable to understand this.

Hiryu can use her TB / DB dishing out fire/flooding damage, and it is huge.

Saipan can never do this.

359 posts
2,819 battles

Faster Planes 155 vs 129 knots. Low number of squadrons mean you don't waste time loading DB. More Strike run

Reload is longer though 22 vs 20 sec.

Regarding Strafing

Look at "Terible PersonTM" IChase here

At 11.22 He seem to do strafe just fine. But if you try to strafe head on on the enemy fighter, I must say I never success in wiping out whole squad before. But on retreating bombers? Work fine.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

451 posts
6,946 battles

Tier 7s r usually getting the short end of the stick...idk why, maybe it's because it's the highest tier that doesnt see yammy?

930 posts

You can't balance a ship at the standard of a tier 15 captain based. WG should really bring back the 230 / 302 loadout with some tweaking or maybe give us a 211. Just make the bombers much squishier, but don't make it a silly noob-friendly ship that you can do some damage even being a monkey (auto drop = manual drop [content removed]?), but never able to unleash great damage.

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~amade

1) Never engage your fighters on a head on strafe against anything really. If you wish to engage fighters on the Saipan, do it while on a deadlock (one fighter is engaged on combat while the other strafes) or a rear approach though I personally do not recommend engaging on repeated dogfights with the Saipan most of the time (unless you're confident with the outcome)

2) You might want to learn how to manually drop bombs. You can deal around 3-5k damage every time. It's not much but it can help you sink pesky destroyers that way.

3) Here is where the withering tactic comes to play.

4) It is. You might just be facing another carrier player with a dogfighting expert perk or your fighter RNG is just bad.

5) Its fun. You might just be playing it wrong.... maybe.

Edited by IJN_Yura

783 posts
4,815 battles

Its the speed of the planes.

Having the US torps also grant a small bonus on alpha damage relative to IJN torps. So value wise, Saipan lacks the ability to have a reliable DoT unlike Hiryuu hence I said "lesser damage". Her TB planes and squadron are also more 'durable' than Hiryuu's by around 20-25% so reliably dropping 3 torps is going to be usual. Besides, landing 4 torps using the usual IJN TB squadron doesn't happen often enough so usually, the Saipan's TB squadron will reliably outDPS Hiryuu's. It is where the Hiryuu DB comes into play where reliable DoT make up a chunk of the damage.

So comparing both, You'd have Hiryuu which can reliably kill one ship through DoT (or spread it out, player preference) but with a longer time to make a full strike run of 2TB2DB and then there's the Saipan which streams a constant value of alpha damage(20-30k nonDD nonDF target) over lesser periods of time with his 2 TB.

Faster Planes 155 vs 129 knots. Low number of squadrons mean you don't waste time loading DB. More Strike run

Reload is longer though 22 vs 20 sec.

I didn't know the reload was longer, I assumed it was the same, thanks for clearing it up.