You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
swap1997

Revolutionary changes to USN Cruiser Tech tree

37 comments in this topic

66 posts
4,900 battles

Hello guys,

This Idea stuck to me after I upgraded my Des Moines fully to its max possible level(except captain skills), I think a change in the USN tech tree is needed. This is after I found that the so called "Balance" between USN,IJN,RU and DE Cruiser lines was skewed more in favour of IJN tech tree.

Here's what I think the line should be-

1. Switch from Omaha to Cleveland as Omaha is clearly an enlarged Phoenix and also a bit similar in gameplay.

2. Cleveland downgraded to tier 5, lets face it she isnt nearly as good enough as she was once, the mighty Cleveland is still one of my beloved ships but now with the nerfs and stuff she is more of a tier 5 Cruiser than tier 6.

3. Tier 7 should be New Orleans and th dreaded Pepsi-Cola should be done away with(She is too hard on Cleveland players), New Orleans is more equal to tier 7 cruisers than tier 8 cruisers although she still packs a punch when needed and is more better candidate for USN Tier 7 cruiser.

4. Tier 8 should be the rather unknown Worcester class light cruiser, a US Version of the Soviet Chapayev or Mikhail Kutuzov she is basically a super-enhanced version of the Cleveland or you can say a light cruiser version of the Des Moines, she will be a potent adversary to the Mogami class Cruiser. The link for more info is : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester-class_cruiser

Tier 9 and Tier 10 doesnt seems to need any changes as the USN Cruiser becomes markedly better than its predecessors and also more potent with obviously the zenith of it reaching in the Des Moines class cruiser which undoubtedly is the best tier for tier American cruiser.

Please comment and give feedback as to how you feel about these changes, it would help a great deal to repair the American cruiser line and bring consistency and balance within it.

Thank you,

Swapnil:)

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

1 and 2 are pretty much the silliest things I've read on this forum so far. Omaha has no business being up at tier 6 - she'd get obliterated by literally everything in her tier spread. Likewise, Cleveland is still performing fine at tier 6 - IIRC, her global averages indicate she could possibly function at tier 7 with some minor stat changes. Downtierng her to tier 5 would result in her facerolling everything.

Worcester may be slated for a future CL/CA line split.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

a cheatland at T5, and omaha at 6? you have to be kidding me, cheatland can shread ALL T5 CAs and omaha is already under powered compared to her peers at T5...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

ugh

12 o'clock here,

could be because of sleepy

swap Cleveland and Omaha tier....

I didn't read it wrong, right?:look::hmm:

EDIT: No, OP mind really are screwwed

Edited by Harpoon01

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Yeah, Cleveland at tier V

You really want those new BB players to rage quit right?

Or any Tier IIIs for that matter and anyone trying to play a tier 4 CV as well :D
Edited by Chawp

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

It's been rumoured that Cleveland will be moved to Tier 8 in future as part of a dedicated USN CL line, along with appropriate un-nerfing / buffs.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Omaha is the best tier V cruiser in the game. Certainly much better and easier to play than Furutaka. 

Cleveland, she needs to be moved to the right tier, and up-tier. To tier VII.

Possible concept for the USN CL line: Omaha => Juneau/Brooklyn => Cleveland/St. Louis => Fargo => Worcester.

Worcester only has 152 mm guns. Despite the fact that they are auto-loader, that kind of caliber is just simply doesn't pack enough punch to make a her tier X. But will be a flamethrower if added. Imagine Des Moines can reload her 203 mm in 5 or 6 secs. 152 mm... 3 secs probably? 

Super Tester
2,725 posts

You asked for comments & feedback on this suggestion, ok? Don't argue in your mind why so many negative feedback because you asked for comments & feedback. I find this change.... counterrevolutionary & backward game balance than "revolutionary" change. Do you know why?

To your #1 & 2, you have (as in required) to re-buy & play Cleveland again before suggesting that. Cleveland is fine as tier 6 ship, I kept & still use her in battle. Omaha is also fine as tier 5 ship. Imagine & assess a Tier 5 Cleveland in tier 5 battle and being top of the team, Tier 3, tier 4, & even tier 5 ships (including carriers) will hard hit by this change of yours.

No thank you to that suggestion,

Mingfang47

Super Tester
1,310 posts

Cleveland in tier 5 needed to be rebalanced like this :
1. remove all(if not 3/4) of the bofors

2. change the dual 127mm secondary to single 127mm

3. remove Defensive fire consumable

4. reduce main gun range up to 12km.. and decrease her shell velocity even more (to the level of dresden-karlsuck level)

5. increase her citadel size to match omaha

do u like it like this?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

but strip them of aa so mommy Hosho won't be sad

4. reduce main gun range up to 12km.. and decrease her shell velocity even more (to the level of dresden-karlsuck level)

do u like it like this?

Then there no point to put it in Tier 5 :D:D:D

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

If the Cleveland was a tier 5, my word, that would just dominate even in its nerfed state.

The Omaha is fine, you just cant sail in a straight line.

I think the T5 and T6 USN cruisers are acceptable the way they are.

350 posts

do u like it like this?

Then add torpedoes so that the Cleveland IS the Omaha.

@ OP - I have played both the Omaha and Cleveland in the ARP missions and they were both solid performers in their own tiers. You just have to know their strengths and weaknesses. Putting the Cleveland in a Tier 5 slot would be greifing anyone in Tier 3 to Tier 5 who would be matched up to you. As for those in Tier 6 and Tier 7, not so much.

Putting the Omaha in a Tier 6 and you would be ranting about being sunk in the first three minutes as almost everyone else (especially in the same or higher tiers) has more range and firepower against you. Not to mention that the Tier 6 destroyers would ninja torpedo you as you can't see them but they can see you and your own torps would not even reach most of the enemies you get especially the Tier 8s as they shoot or torpedo you first from afar. Imagine fighting a Mikhail as an Omaha and you'll see how painful it is in a Tier 6.

As for the Pensacola, it would be a good object lesson for anyone to learn about teamwork and how to take care of your ship better as I have heard from here in the forums and the wiki that the other higher tier ships would just be the same.

64 posts
6,468 battles

It was announced a while back that That they plan to split the cruiser line and Cleveland will eventually be moved to tier VIII. It's pretty well known that Cleveland was nurfed to place it at tier VI. They haven't said what will replace it, or when the split will take place.

Edited by Capt_Brownpants

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

When they split the lines, I hope they drop all the CAs down a tier and put in Alaska at T10.

520 posts
11,127 battles

For me, i think Omaha at tier 5 and Cleveland at tier 6 is adequate both Historically and IN game.  I dont think any changes have to be made in this.....IMHO

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

For me, I'm okay for swapping tiers between Cheatland and Poopsicola but with Omaha??

10 203mm guns at Tier 6, Aoba will be jealous :D:D:D

But that seem reasonable since Aoba have Torpedoes and armor right :trollface:?

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

10 203mm guns at Tier 6, Aoba will be jealous :D:D:D

But that seem reasonable since Aoba have Torpedoes and armor right :trollface:?

Or just nerf PepsiCola's armor, that should balance it right? :trollface:

Edited by ADM_dude