Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hero_of_Zero

How do you drop Japanese TBs torpedoes.

How to drop torpedo  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How far?

• Autodrop
    • Drop as far as auto drop, torps converged and get more hits
    • Drop mid distance, target can't really turn away or in. Play saft.
    • Drop as close as possible, torps active just before impact.
  2. 2. Grouping

• Click and drag over sqauds! I use same alt-click for 2-3 group of TB
    • select each sqaud with number! I give difference instruction for each group.
    • Use autodrop and focus more on angle (Hammer/anvil).

4 comments in this topic

359 posts
2,819 battles

And I didn't mean press alt, click on target like that.

I have played Zuihou for a long time. At the time, I resign myself that I could hit 2 torps per squadron at most, because the spread is so huge.

Then 2 things happen.

1 I got "distracted" by some USN CV game and forget how I play IJN CV. In USN, I drop as close as possible, (and regret choosing torp accelerate for captain.) If I do that in IJN CV, I could possibly hit with just one torp.

2 The patch make IJN torp converged, So If you drop from afar and target don't turn you could

hit 3 or 4 with one squad.

Now that I play Ryujo, I could auto-drop all day and get 2 torp per squad often, Probably the targets are bigger. And I have to approach with 2 group now, AA are better in this tier.

Long story short, how far do you drop your torps? And how many group you bring in together.

You can add how you drop in USN as well but I won't cover it in the poll

783 posts
4,809 battles

I chose "drop as close as possible" but in reality, I do it in between that and dropping mid distance.

My rationale for that is to take advantage of the converging for at least a second or three which coincidentally is the difference between getting 3 torp hits instead of 2(sometimes 4 if enemy goes straight).

I would also like to point out that the afar type of drop is one of the most risky ones to try unless the enemy is AFK or grounded.

Dropping manual drops with a slight (15-20 degree angle) from a perpendicular drop with IJN works better and guarantees 4 hits against BBs, 3 hits against CAs as long as it's dropped with their rudder in neutral due to the inherent shift times (Ship lengths of Tiers 7 and up) otherwise a different type of drop is needed if their rudder is either full port/starboard at the moment of drop. At the very least, it's something that isn't advisable for USN TBs which require a more straightforward perpendicular drop due to torp behavior and tightness.

As for squadron control, individual control works more for me and I attack in waves to maximize DoT even though I risk more plane losses.

Hope that helps and good luck to you in future games :honoring:

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I use auto drop aim assist to determine the target movement, you can notice that somehow suddenly the target move backwards from the aim assist

359 posts
2,819 battles

Run some Zuihou game in training room against same tier. They hit with 2 per squad often than I though. I am really getting spoil now, no wonder I miss often in USN CV.

Sign in to follow this