You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Why are there less US ships in matches

41 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi all. As some of you know I took a break from World of Warships a while ago. I have been playing World of Warships again for about two weeks now and I have been noticing that the amount of US ships in a match is relatively small when compared to its IJN counterpart. Most of the matches that I have been involved in 60-75% of players in the match uses IJN ships. Of course there are one or two other Russian Cruisers, destroyers and German cruisers but the majority of players uses IJN ships. Why is this happening ? Can someone please explain to me. I have also had a similar discussion to this on the Facebook forum and many players told me that due to most IJN ships being superior to USN ships USN ships are rather redundant. I have no idea if this is true or not so I am asking the World of Warships Asia community to answer the question : Why are there more IJN ships in matches compared to other nations, especially the United States. Any answer would be great. Thank you

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I don't really notice more IJN ships than USN ones. In the games I've been in, it's been split pretty evenly between the two, with German cruisers and Russian cruisers/destroyers mixed in. I see quite a lot of USN DDs, CAs and Carriers, battleships a bit less so.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I don't really notice more IJN ships than USN ones. In the games I've been in, it's been split pretty evenly between the two, with German cruisers and Russian cruisers/destroyers mixed in. I see quite a lot of USN DDs, CAs and Carriers, battleships a bit less so.

Perhaps it was just me. Most of the matches I have been in more than 50% of all the ships in the game are Japanese

580 posts
1,587 battles

Because the missions now need you to hit with your main guns and IJN ships are more reliable unlike the sub-orbital USN shells?

I may have to agree on this one... I stopped at the Cleveland when I noticed the shell trajectory and how this will be a common theme in all USN Cruisers from here on... I play more with my Nurnberg and (recently) Aoba because I can hit my targets more reliably even at far ranges... I just find it hard to hit anything at far ranges with the Cleveland ...

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

If you are in the lower/mid tiers and seeing a lot of Kongo's then that's people playing the Kirishima (ARP stuff in the Yokosuka port) for the missions.

In some ways the IJN ships are the easier line of ships to play with flatter arc, better concealment and torpedo/BB shell range, a lot like the Russian Tanks are in WoT.  Average (and lower) players will tend to gravitate to these while they are learning the intricacies of the game.  I'm not saying that the Japanese ships are OP across the board, just slightly easier to get used to.  There are lots of complaint threads about USN sub-orbital arcs, lack of strike capability for CVs, Russian citadel size and arc, German module damage etc.

On top of that you have the regional "biases" as well.  We are in the region that is home to Japan, it's only natural that they will want to play their own nation (and that's a lot of players BTW).  There are also the cartoon connections, Kancolle, Ars Nova etc which bring their own fan base across.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I burn more enemies on my higher tier JP cruisers than my US cruiser coz demolition expert perk FTW~ :P

Yeah, honestly I am taking a break from playing US Cruiser (Pepsicola) due to lacking in performance after upgrading my gun range. Currently I am focusing on JP Cruisers and German Cruisers.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I burn more enemies on my higher tier JP cruisers than my US cruiser coz demolition expert perk FTW~ :P

Yeah, honestly I am taking a break from playing US Cruiser (Pepsicola) due to lacking in performance after upgrading my gun range. Currently I am focusing on JP Cruisers and German Cruisers.

That what happened with most of peoples i guess :D:D:D

Got PaperCola > Stop playing USN Cruiser

Got Colorado > Stop playing USN Battleship

Got Bogue/Ranger > Stop playing USN Carrier

Got Gearing > Stop playing USN DDs 

Soooo thats why less USN ship in high tier :trollface:?

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

If you are in the lower/mid tiers and seeing a lot of Kongo's then that's people playing the Kirishima (ARP stuff in the Yokosuka port) for the missions.

In some ways the IJN ships are the easier line of ships to play with flatter arc, better concealment and torpedo/BB shell range, a lot like the Russian Tanks are in WoT.  Average (and lower) players will tend to gravitate to these while they are learning the intricacies of the game.  I'm not saying that the Japanese ships are OP across the board, just slightly easier to get used to.  There are lots of complaint threads about USN sub-orbital arcs, lack of strike capability for CVs, Russian citadel size and arc, German module damage etc.

On top of that you have the regional "biases" as well.  We are in the region that is home to Japan, it's only natural that they will want to play their own nation (and that's a lot of players BTW).  There are also the cartoon connections, Kancolle, Ars Nova etc which bring their own fan base across.

I think you may be right on the regional biases.I play on both the NA and SEA servers,and the difference is noticeable.

USA ships are a lot more popular on the NA server ,especially the BBs. Here you may get one or two USA BB per match with the rest Japanese BB,on the NA server its opposite.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

That what happened with most of peoples i guess :D:D:D

Got PaperCola > Stop playing USN Cruiser

Got Colorado > Stop playing USN Battleship

Got Bogue/Ranger > Stop playing USN Carrier

Got Gearing > Stop playing USN DDs 

Soooo thats why less USN ship in high tier :trollface:?

also many people want to have a tier 10 Yamato and Shimakaze, but not that many want to have US counterpart....

I think you may be right on the regional biases.I play on both the NA and SEA servers,and the difference is noticeable.

USA ships are a lot more popular on the NA server ,especially the BBs. Here you may get one or two USA BB per match with the rest Japanese BB,on the NA server its opposite.

if WG release a ship from a nations, 80% chance that player from that nation will play that ship.

if they made an australian ship and said that to have that ship, player must get 1.000 capture point/assistant ten i bet all australian player will try to complete this mission

(if it is a premium, then not all people willing to pay for it)

Edited by XP_On

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

also many people want to have a tier 10 Yamato and Shimakaze, but not that many want to have US counterpart....

True Yamato is a well-known ship and appear in many TV, Movie, Anime, Manga, Novel while only few care about Montana :D:D:D

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

True Yamato is a well-known ship and appear in many TV, Movie, Anime, Manga, Novel while only few care about Montana :D:D:D

Hoteru!!!!!

575 posts
5,354 battles

Exactly. I can buy the Montana now, but I won't. It is not a tier X ship by any means, 9.5 at best. US CAs after Cleveland...sad... I'm spending my time with US DDs, KM, Russian, and IJN CAs and I'm close to getting my Yamato. It pains me to know that my own nation's ships have a sub-par competitiveness (CAs and BBs) compared to their counter-parts. There's nothing I can do about that because WG has seen fit to do what they've done.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

if WG release a ship from a nations, 80% chance that player from that nation will play that ship.

if they made an australian ship and said that to have that ship, player must get 1.000 capture point/assistant ten i bet all australian player will try to complete this mission

(if it is a premium, then not all people willing to pay for it)

Any idea how it looks on the European and RU servers?Wonder if its more of a mix there?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Exactly. I can buy the Montana now, but I won't. It is not a tier X ship by any means, 9.5 at best.

All i can tell is even is Tier 9.5 but i actually enjoy it, after recent Yamato healing nerf it doesn't seem like it invincible anymore :D:D:D

Yes in most case you wont win against Yamato but with 12 guns and HE of liberty you can burn da Yamato, thinkest armor ? EAT MA  FIRE OF DEMOCRACY !!!

And engage Cruiser in Montana is a real joy 12 AP shell in thier thin side armor and see them blow up one by one is really fun :)

let them fear ze Hotel California :B

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

But still the American cruisers are not as good as the IJN ones, manly cuz of the high arc of the shells, as it makes it a lot harder to hit a target at range, where it is a lot easier to hit targets in a IJN cruiser and other nations cruisers at range.

1,162 posts

75% of low tier Kirishima use HE shells and don't even know how to play as a battleship just making a joke to the whole team....

During that Yotaroh ARP event I actually got more damage using HE than AP and killed a Colorado with fire, since my aiming is pretty bad and enemy is pretty good at angling. So yeah... 

But I done playing BBs at random battles anyway, not my cup of tea. :teethhappy:

I guess I liek to see my enemies agony in fire and floods //evil laugh//

PS: Thank gawd during that events there is lots of lemming trains (myself included I guess since I shoot HE)

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

PS: Thank gawd during that events there is lots of lemming trains (myself included I guess since I shoot HE)

sorry for my silly question.. but what is lemming trains? 

892 posts
7,853 battles

sorry for my silly question.. but what is lemming trains? 

W​hen almost the entire team follows the lead of another ship towards one direction, in a line