Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
swap1997

Des Moines Gameplay

5 comments in this topic

66 posts
4,895 battles

Hello guys,

Its been a long time since I have been active on the group as if was occupied with the USN Cruiser tech tree which was researched completely after 10 months of Hardwork(non Premium account). After enduring the Pepsi Cola, New Orleans and Baltimore when I managed to finally research Des Moines I was completely elated. But, after a couple of games I noted down the following facts, some good some bad. Here they are

1)Solid ship with huge potential, wish it had a more better Shell damage(Historically true as the USN had the largest 203mm shell weighing in at 335lbs compared to other navies), Better protection(atleast compared to a Baltimore) and also the monster DPM.

2) Slow rudder shift, acceleration is sluggish, and can be heavy on credits.

3) Rather bad credit ratio for a tier 10 Cruiser, In Baltimore if you just managed to do 10-15k damage you could break even with a profit but in Des Moines even the slightest of damage can result in a heavy credit penalty.

So, how should I play this beautiful yet expensive cruiser?.......could the experienced Cap'ns share their valuable knowledge?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Swapnil.

149 posts

Hello guys,

Its been a long time since I have been active on the group as if was occupied with the USN Cruiser tech tree which was researched completely after 10 months of Hardwork(non Premium account). After enduring the Pepsi Cola, New Orleans and Baltimore when I managed to finally research Des Moines I was completely elated. But, after a couple of games I noted down the following facts, some good some bad. Here they are

1)Solid ship with huge potential, wish it had a more better Shell damage(Historically true as the USN had the largest 203mm shell weighing in at 335lbs compared to other navies), Better protection(atleast compared to a Baltimore) and also the monster DPM.

2) Slow rudder shift, acceleration is sluggish, and can be heavy on credits.

3) Rather bad credit ratio for a tier 10 Cruiser, In Baltimore if you just managed to do 10-15k damage you could break even with a profit but in Des Moines even the slightest of damage can result in a heavy credit penalty.

So, how should I play this beautiful yet expensive cruiser?.......could the experienced Cap'ns share their valuable knowledge?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Swapnil.

support role...stay next to a BB and protect it(swat off the DD's with the radar Consumables (mostly USN)).Des monies starts to shine at 10 to 12 KM.As you can citadel CA with ease .Watch flamu or ichase for the Des monies game play.Aggressive gameplay can be rewarding at times for her Sheer DPM.

P.s i am still at stock pepsi.

451 posts
6,946 battles

If u manage to yolo your way to flank the enemy from the side at <12km, everything will die.

EVERYTHING.

84 posts
4,438 battles

1)DesMoines actually got the heaviest AP shell in the game out all 203mm. Just not the hardest hitting.

2)DesMoines got the best rudder shift of all tier10 cruiser

3)You don't expect tier10 ship to make profit, especially a DesMoines

Here's my way of playing DesMoines you stay behind an island and use your orbital arc to rain a shell on the enemy or just go giving cv some aa if they need it. In late game situation this is where a DesMoines really shine. Almost every ship in the game(let's put Yamato aside) have no chance winning a gun fight against a DesMoines considering both are a competent player. So you'll go offensive and kill everything one by one remember you are cruiser and cruiser is good at shooting but not at being shotted. Most of the late game brawling you should be using only ur front gun to minimize the damage receive. I've got no problem maintaining >60k damage per game and >52%winrate in her. Overall she's a solid yet hard to master. Also remember the ideal brawling range for the DesMoines are under12km if you know how to dodge a torpedoes.

Edited by Strik3agle98

Sign in to follow this